Male or female?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is an international interest of our species as Homo sapien sapien; all other discriminating factors are irrelevant. :wave:

GLHunter

Newly Enlightened
Oh my gosh, the light was chromium? WOW! That would impress me too if that was given to me. I've seen these golden lights from Olight and they make my mouth water. I think that indicates I have a problem, I should really get that checked hehe. I too am always on the search for the holy grail of lights. If I had the money, I would buy the biggest baddest light I could.
There are lighthouses that have been decommissioned and relegated to the private sector. My wife and I are interested in purchasing one to live in and possibly open to the public as a bed & breakfast... Now, if only our ship would arrive with our treasure chest. :D

I saw this video on youtube once where this guy made this custom build, I believe it was 20,000 lumens, sucker ran off of a big cahoona battery whatever it was, thing lit up the night like there was no night. My jaw litterally dropped to the floor. He built it well though, cause obviously a light of that magnatude is going to produce some serious heat, and he had good heat dissapation with that thing, but holy cow, that thing was like the holly grail of lights. lol

Thank you for providing not only this particularly impressive video, but opening the portal to other jaw-dropping videos as well.
:)

Capolini

Banned
MALE OR FEMALE?! This fine animal turned me into a flashaholic!:thumbsup:

Jh5eHS2.jpg

Last edited:

PROTOOLNUT

Newly Enlightened
There are lighthouses that have been decommissioned and relegated to the private sector. My wife and I are interested in purchasing one to live in and possibly open to the public as a bed & breakfast... Now, if only our ship would arrive with our treasure chest. :D

Thank you for providing not only this particularly impressive video, but opening the portal to other jaw-dropping videos as well.
:)

Your welcome dude, anything to help the cause :D

markr6

Flashaholic
I never understood stereotyping as a "bad" thing. I mean, walk into a college electrical engineering class and tell me the ratio. Life doesn't have to be a perfect 50/50 balance. I think it's the same thing here, most likely a large majority of males. That doesn't make it good, bad, or anything in particular. If there is a stereotype, I doubt it's because a bunch of people sat in a room and decided to label it in such a way just out of thin air. It's simply based on fact.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lights were an intricate part of my gear for the last 20+ years and in all that time those that showed a more intense interest in lights were always a minority overall. To most it was gear that was necessary but not much thought past that, much like a pair of boots. As for those that showed an interest beyond that I'd say none were female.

PROTOOLNUT

Newly Enlightened
I never understood stereotyping as a "bad" thing. I mean, walk into a college electrical engineering class and tell me the ratio. Life doesn't have to be a perfect 50/50 balance. I think it's the same thing here, most likely a large majority of males. That doesn't make it good, bad, or anything in particular. If there is a stereotype, I doubt it's because a bunch of people sat in a room and decided to label it in such a way just out of thin air. It's simply based on fact.

You are so correct dude! I think a thread like this was always going to be a bit of a risk if posted, because its going to cause a bit of a stir in general. But the fact remains, that we should not let society tell us what to do with our lives, but more often then not, we do. Society tells girls that they should only care about makeup and tea parties. Society tells guys we should only care about cars and football. Is there no middle ground?

Truth is, if you let society dictate your actions, you will be doomed for failure. Because not everybody is born with a personality to match everything. We know very early in our lives what we enjoy. Like when a boy cares more about a flashlight then his tonka truck, or when a girl cares more about racing her bike down the hill then playing with dolls.

Thats why I say, Just be yourself, and do what will make you happy. Because at the end of the day, its not society you have to convince, its yourself. ;)

Capolini

Banned
I'm not really a dog person but that is a rather fine animal. Is it a he or a she though? :)

Thank you,,,,,,,,,"HIS" name is CAPO. His name means Chief/Boss in Italian!:thumbsup:

He really initiated my Addiction,I MEAN HOBBY! I started w/ a few cheapies, then more and more[modded/powerful] torches to keep us safe on the trail and the occasional road[back] walk.

Greta

Flashaholic
You are so correct dude! I think a thread like this was always going to be a bit of a risk if posted, because its going to cause a bit of a stir in general. But the fact remains, that we should not let society tell us what to do with our lives, but more often then not, we do. Society tells girls that they should only care about makeup and tea parties. Society tells guys we should only care about cars and football. Is there no middle ground?

Truth is, if you let society dictate your actions, you will be doomed for failure. Because not everybody is born with a personality to match everything. We know very early in our lives what we enjoy. Like when a boy cares more about a flashlight then his tonka truck, or when a girl cares more about racing her bike down the hill then playing with dolls.

Thats why I say, Just be yourself, and do what will make you happy. Because at the end of the day, its not society you have to convince, its yourself. ;)

[Emphasis mine] Sweety - you really need to sit on your hands for a bit. Your previous post (that Kestrel thankfully edited for you) of stereotyping and this comment here tell quite a bit about you. And I'll just throw this out there - it's a good thing Kestrel saw your post before I did. He was kind in how he handled it. I would not have been so kind. Because you see - I not only use my smart phone for selfies of my makeup look for the day, but I also use it to ban members of my forum who don't know when to sit on their hands. Capiche? ;)

stfc69

Newly Enlightened
I didn't think that he was being particularly stereotypical, rather just giving his opinion (rightly or wrongly) of what he thinks society dictates, if that makes sense?

Anyway if anyone is at fault it's me for starting this thread, I'm a member of a football (soccer) forum where just about anything goes, which obviously isn't the case here, I'll keep that in mind in the future.

nbp

Flashaholic
If you are interested in doing a search you will find a bunch of similar threads on this topic you can look over. They always ended up getting closed as at some point people just went too far with jokes or teasing or whatever. This is a great forum, but it does have a high standard of conduct, and above all else, discussion must remain respectful and family friendly. If a person can do that, they will get along just fine! :welcome:

Greta

Flashaholic
I didn't think that he was being particularly stereotypical, rather just giving his opinion (rightly or wrongly) of what he thinks society dictates, if that makes sense?

You obviously missed his post toward the beginning of this thread that was edited by Kestrel (Post #4). No worries - he knows what he wrote and because of my super-smart-phone-powers, I know what he wrote too. (he'll get that reference even if you don't ;) )

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
The inquiry itself is insidious and has no value.

This should not be framed as a 'politically correct' issue, it is however a better way to understand the concept of an 'Enlightenment' and how it weaves the fabric of perception.

Galileo and Darwin did not gain an understanding by taking a poll.

PROTOOLNUT

Newly Enlightened
[Emphasis mine] Sweety - you really need to sit on your hands for a bit. Your previous post (that Kestrel thankfully edited for you) of stereotyping and this comment here tell quite a bit about you. And I'll just throw this out there - it's a good thing Kestrel saw your post before I did. He was kind in how he handled it. I would not have been so kind. Because you see - I not only use my smart phone for selfies of my makeup look for the day, but I also use it to ban members of my forum who don't know when to sit on their hands. Capiche? ;)

Gretta, your being quite hostile towards me, and I know that I am not the only one who sees that. Remember, I am not the one who started this risky thread, you have to expect all sorts of responces to such a risky thread. And threatning to ban someone who isn't actually breaking rules on this site is not very cool, just sayin. I ask where were you when I was being attacked on my first day here? You clearly don't know me, nor understand me, nor have any wish to get to know me. Because if you did, you would actually learn that I am a really nice person. But rather see that, you jump on my opinion of what I've learned from growing up in a sexsist society. You lump me in the same pool as the rest of them, and persecute me the same. What you don't realize is how different I actually am. Lets just say that if you knew me in real life, you would be very sorry for what you just said to me. Because you would know that I am not your typical male, I'm kind of special in a way, but thats all I will say on the open board about it.

PROTOOLNUT

Newly Enlightened
You know what, I got a really bad vibe when I first joined the site, I can see now that I was right. It was a mistake coming here, I really don't feel welcome at this point and I think its time for me to go. All this thread did was expose the nastiness I see throughout the whole world of humanity. I was hoping this place would be different but it is not.

I was even thinking about providing my skills in helping those in need here, not just flashlight related discussions. But I see now that this is just another place ruled by an iron hammer who's full of anger at the world, instead of being the change they wish to see. You can either fix the problem or make it worse. I am sorry to see another place full of such negativity. Sorry I came here now.

Take care yall

Admin note: Rule 8 violation noted.

Last edited by a moderator:

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to agree with stfc69 on that -it honestly doesn't seem like he did anything wrong. Sure it may have been somewhat stereotypical, but it does indeed seem that he was trying to send a positive message overall. And as PROTOOLNUT also stated, the reaction and implied consequences for what he said were not warranted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts