• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Malkoff Junkies: Assemble! M361 WARM P60 drop-in

thermal guy

Flashaholic
$300 on an HDS? Why?

$17 got me a nice tint in a Maglite Solitaire Spectrum Series in warm flavor.
$80 got me a sweet module for my E by Tana.
$80+/- got me a sweet module from Malkoff.
$177 total and 3 nice lights.

I'm a huge HDS fan but. Yep they are very close if not over the line for bang for your buck.ill buy more no doubt they are great lights but things sure have changed there. Sorry off track

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah finally arrived (my fault I was slow with payment). Looks and functions great. Interestingly with the Seraph host I needed to either use a spring base or an o ring in front to keep everything snug. After using some copper tape for thermal transfer I slid a spare p60 spring on and it's working great. Tint is perfect!

59902049698240ec8d0f64a1283a2edf.jpg

652de8249db5fe0020a6241912fb773f.jpg

dda65b664e85d75fc9e319e3510d0e39.jpg

Nimitz68

Enlightened
I received my N219C 3000K M361 drop-in this afternoon. It is installed in my Malkoff MD2 host with crenelated bezel and tricap. I initially installed it with a hi/lo ring but experienced some unusual behavior. When I first loosened the head it cycled through the three low outputs beautifully, but then would remain at I believe the highest of the three low outputs. I would have to tighten the head, which then gave me the highest of the three high outputs (instead of the lowest), and then loosen the head to get the three low outputs again. Then the cycle would repeat itself.

As a result, I removed the hi/lo ring and installed the stock ring. The output is beautiful, and the three levels will work just fine. My M361N is set up in an MD2 with a hi/lo ring and has worked perfectly since I received it.

nimdabew, thank you again for coordinating and doing all the footwork on this. It is much appreciated.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
Does anyone here know how the high low ring works? I've been wondering a long time if it is just running a resistor or what it's doing?
With a resistor I would expect the output would drop, but the runtime would stay the same. Does low mode actually extend runtime? I've never seen this discussed anywhere...

Johnnyh

Enlightened
Just got this (4k) installed in the MD2. Lovin' it! Thanks again for putting this together. Great job!

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I received my N219C 3000K M361 drop-in this afternoon. It is installed in my Malkoff MD2 host with crenelated bezel and tricap. I initially installed it with a hi/lo ring but experienced some unusual behavior. When I first loosened the head it cycled through the three low outputs beautifully, but then would remain at I believe the highest of the three low outputs. I would have to tighten the head, which then gave me the highest of the three high outputs (instead of the lowest), and then loosen the head to get the three low outputs again. Then the cycle would repeat itself.

As a result, I removed the hi/lo ring and installed the stock ring. The output is beautiful, and the three levels will work just fine. My M361N is set up in an MD2 with a hi/lo ring and has worked perfectly since I received it.

nimdabew, thank you again for coordinating and doing all the footwork on this. It is much appreciated.

I'm in the same boat my friend. With the hi/lo ring my highs were pretty stable but the lows were all over the place. What I found is when I was on the lows and it acted up I'd switch to high use it then when I would go back to the lows they would work. But that's not what I really want to do so I just went back to standard ring. 3 levels is fine for me. I also put one in an elzetta bravo with the high/low cap and it works much much better but still on occasion have to do the go Back to high thing but I'm keeping it in the elzetta. That is one sweet setup.

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Does anyone here know how the high low ring works? I've been wondering a long time if it is just running a resistor or what it's doing?
With a resistor I would expect the output would drop, but the runtime would stay the same. Does low mode actually extend runtime? I've never seen this discussed anywhere...

When I get tired of playing with it I'm going to do a run test on low with the hi/lo ring in and a 3500 mah cell. I'm betting it goes for at least a week. I tested my standard m361 on low, standard ring with a 2500 mah cell and got 46 hours if I remember right.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Got bored so tried my hand at some tint shots.
Left to right "now that pictures are loaded I guess it's bottom to top😄"

M61NL
M361 219 3000
Standard M61
M61W
E9-F94-E6-A-1-A21-432-F-859-F-EF021-F52-FF0-F.jpg
8-B69-E803-C4-B0-4637-97-C2-122-D5-FD9-B0-FF.jpg

Last edited:

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast

I experienced this too with the hi/lo ring.

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
FEHIBK1.jpg

1200-1500 deg spread between emitters, sans greens or blues. Pretty happy with this.

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Wow. I'd die there. You don't even need flashlights there!!! Something must be done.