• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Malkoff Junkies: Assemble! M361 WARM P60 drop-in

thermal guy

Flashaholic
The highs were pretty stable so probably could of just left it in and used with head tightened but I just went back to standard ring

nimdabew

Enlightened
Will you be providing tracking information? Thanks.

I can on an individual basis. My tracking was taking pictures of all of the labels after they have been attached to the boxes so if you want tracking, email me at my user name on this post @gmail

Nimitz68

Enlightened
I can on an individual basis. My tracking was taking pictures of all of the labels after they have been attached to the boxes so if you want tracking, email me at my user name on this post @gmail

Email coming to you shortly. Thanks.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
So I would say that my 219C 3000k in tint and color is right in between my m61N and M61W. I'm really liking it.

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I'm sorry to say I'm not going to be using my hi/lo ring with these.they are to erratic. Hi/lo rings seemed to work just fine with my standard m361 but not these bad boys. The highs were pretty stable but the lows would often not change or start high and get lower. Really no big deal. I still have 3 solid levels of light now and the spacing looks great to me. Really zero complaints on them! But if you do get it to work the low is VERY low. Think hds on lowest setting.

Mine ramp up, but won't go back down with the hi/lo ring. They are awesome with diffusion film in a VME though.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
So I would say that my 219C 3000k in tint and color is right in between my m61N and M61W. I'm really liking it.

Hmmmm,
Couldn't have said it better.....
Very pleasant to the eyeballs.

So realizing I had left my 361w light at the other end of the house after lights out I grabbed my warm Solitaire and walked to the other end of the house. Grabbed the light I was after and turned it on low.

The beam looked just like the little Maglite and amazingly lit my den better than the Solitaire with 2x the output. I always liked the low of my 361n in a Klarus P1A with around half the output at 3 volts. But it may be receiving the other 361w nimdabew sent. That's correct, the MDC 361 head fits a Klarus P1A. (ie poor man's Malkoff MD2 hi/lo)

IMG-20190324-224923.jpg

So why not VME that Klarus?

Last edited:

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
The tint of the 3000K 219C is awesome. It's one color in the entire beam. Unlike others where the hot spot is one color and spill another. It's perfect.

Nimdabew,
Thank you so much for making the effort to coordinate. This took quite a bit of your time I'm sure, but there are many happy people as a result.

Thanks!!!!

nimdabew

Enlightened
A pair of 3000 219c arrived.
Yay!!

IMG-20190323-132355.jpg

IMG-20190323-132249.jpg

The box in sunlight

IMG-20190323-133416.jpg

Lit by the 219c

IMG-20190323-132424.jpg

The old 6P has a new light source.
(Was using an NLL)

Wild guess on the numbers here:
Low, about 10-20 lumens?
Med, about 125 to 175 lumens?
Hi, about 350 or so?
Wild guesses here folks.

Starts on low.
Has some pulses on low and medium, but anybody familiar with the 361 should know that.

Anyway, these babies are suh-WEEEEEET!

Bykfixr I think I have the same end table. Circa early 90's amrite?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Lol I had one as well. My Great Dane use to sleep under it and forgot about it when he woke up! All I can say is that is one tough piece of glass😂😂

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast

This is interesting to me...the three Malkoff dropins I use:

1. M61W - XP-G2 3K
2. M31W - XP-G2 3K
3. M361 - N219C 3K

All three, while theoretically 3K in temp, are completely different in their kelvin output. The M31W is the closest to 3k and my M61W is probably a short breath away from 4K. This new dropin is visually right in the middle of the other two. I have to conclude that trying to get a real visual 3K dropin must be the hardest thing in the world. First world problem for sure, but why does it seem so hard to get an emitter whose output is what it is advertised?

This dropin is nice for sure, and pleasing on the eyes, but I find it annoying that I have to spend ~$300 on an HDS to get an emitter output that is what is claimed...

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is interesting to me...the three Malkoff dropins I use:

1. M61W - XP-G2 3K
2. M31W - XP-G2 3K
3. M361 - N219C 3K

All three, while theoretically 3K in temp, are completely different in their kelvin output. The M31W is the closest to 3k and my M61W is probably a short breath away from 4K. This new dropin is visually right in the middle of the other two. I have to conclude that trying to get a real visual 3K dropin must be the hardest thing in the world. First world problem for sure, but why does it seem so hard to get an emitter whose output is what it is advertised?

This dropin is nice for sure, and pleasing on the eyes, but I find it annoying that I have to spend ~$300 on an HDS to get an emitter output that is what is claimed...

If you send Gene $300 I bet you get a 3000K dropin.

It's all about LED binning. Think of some guy sitting there turning each LED on and dropping them into buckets. If he's only got 3 buckets (warm, neutral, cool) there's going to be some variation within each bucket as he goes through the LED's. If he had 20 buckets spanning 3000K-5000K, you'd have a much better chance of getting "exactly" the color temp you were after. Nobody wants to pay for that though so we get generalized groups.

Last edited:

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you send Gene $300 I bet you get a 3000K dropin.

For sure! I'm sure, however, that you understood my backhanded point about not liking to spend the $300 for such a thing. :)

It's all about LED binning. Think of some guy sitting there turning each LED on and dropping them into buckets. If he's only got 3 buckets (warm, neutral, cool) there's going to be some variation within each bucket as he goes through the LED's. If he had 20 buckets spanning 3000K-5000K, you'd have a much better chance of getting "exactly" the color temp you were after. Nobody wants to pay for that though so we get generalized groups.

That exactly why it would be more accurate to describe the emitter as "falling into the 3K temp range" or something like that. A pinkish "3000K" Nichia emitter is not even visually close inside or outside to a "3000K" XP-G2 emitter.

I fully blame such a first world problem on being a member of CPF; I'd still be loving the very cool output of most Maglite's were it not for the information available from this site!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
$300 on an HDS? Why?

$17 got me a nice tint in a Maglite Solitaire Spectrum Series in warm flavor.
$80 got me a sweet module for my E by Tana.
$80+/- got me a sweet module from Malkoff.
$177 total and 3 nice lights.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
$300 on an HDS? Why?

$17 got me a nice tint in a Maglite Solitaire Spectrum Series in warm flavor.
$80 got me a sweet module for my E by Tana.
$80+/- got me a sweet module from Malkoff.
$177 total and 3 nice lights.

Where did you find the solitaire spectrum for $17?

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
My hi/low ring works as intended on the upper modes. When I loosen it up I get two excellent super low modes. I'm keeping it installed

thank you nimdabew

It's still going to take a while to get here in Brazil, but it has already arrived in my North American account today.
it sounded super anxious! :)

egIixe1.jpg