Malkoff M61WLL 17.5 hours on 18650!!

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
what I would like to see is runtime on 2x18650, the new 2900 mAh protected cells.

Actually my other plan is to use M61LL in a Surefire 3P clone, or 1x123 lite. Now that is an interesting combination. With such a low drain, you should get reduced lumens but decent runtime.
Anybody try M61LL on 1x123?

I know M60LL runs on 2xAA Lithums, basically the same voltage.

Looks like M61LL is the most flexible Malkoff module you can get and will run in a large number of configurations.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you know that it will also run on 2 Eneloops about about 8-10 lumens DD & run just about forever?

Yeah, being curious, I tried that combination. Your estimate is right on the money. It was slightly brighter than Gerber Infinity Ultra at 5 lumens. I didn't get to the 'forever' part and removed them right away.

another interesting possibility is using 3xAA cells but the bodies are rare and not all that practical. 2xAA is far more realistic.

The LEGO possibilities are just endless with these modules, especially "LL".

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have M61WLL to test - but I do have M60LL so this shall suffice for the time being, until I get M61LL. I assume their behavior is pretty similar, with M60LL having marginally higher drain. You can take this info and extrapolate the behavior of M61LL and be pretty much on the money.

I ran M60LL on 1x123 Panasonic cell, 1550 mAh capacity, in a FiveMega 3P clone body. That is one small device and an excellent candidate for EDC.

Immediately I got impressive brightness, almost full lumens you can get from the module -- for what seemed like about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Then it drastically dropped. I checked the cell and could not believe it went from full charge of 3.3V to 2.9V in under 1 hour. I thought I would get much better runtime than that. The lumens dropped to roughly in half within that time period. I was getting worried.

I assumed it would continue to decline at the same rate. However it's usage was not linear at all, and it stuck at 2.9V for a very long time, for the next 4 hours. The lumen level I would estimate at somewhere between 30-40 lumens. Decent but obviously lesser than than of on 1x18650 and surely lesser than multiple cell configurations.

Then I left the light turned on overnight and 6 hours later, it has diminished a little more but still very obviously bright and useful. Much brighter than the 10 lumens of Gerber Infinity Ultra I was checking against. So the runtime was probably close to 10 hours and it's not even done yet, seems to be halfway done. I will resume checking tonight.

Behavior should be even more impressive with M61LL, due to its lower drain.

As one data point, M60LL runs for 90 hours on 3xAA Alkaline cells, 40 hours on 2xAA Akalines and should run obviously less than that on 1x123 due to reduced capacity, I am estimating somewhere between 12-20 hours.

Surefire 3P clone by FiveMega + MxxLL is an excellent candidate for TSHTF outage and certainly EDC.

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried my M60LL with 2AA batteries and it started with the same (or slightly higher if I recall correct, can't explain that) brightness as with 2xCR123. After a quite short while it fast dropped to a much lower level, but it ran for days and nights with useful brightness.

Therefore I thought a useful emergency light would be M60LL placed in MD3 or Surefire 9P. With 3xCR123 you will get a "quite high" useful brightness for several hours, and if you use 2xAA batteries (work good without modding even if the cells will rattle a bit) it will run on a lower brightness for days and nights.
Didn't try the same with my M61LL, however.

Regards, Patric

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
The really cool thing about "Low-Low" is that in 3P clone, it's very small and still gets decent runtime. I used to EDC 6P but 3P just disappears in your pocket. Seems a good marriage between 3P and M61LL. Ultimately, for the EDC purposes, seems like the M61LL beam pattern (a little more flood) would be more useful than M60LL pattern.
I will get M61LL but not trading my M60LL.

BTW, food for thought: M61LL versus M31LL? Either one will work well in 3P. Seems M31LL will be a little brighter, stay in regulation much longer (M61LL not at all) but should have lower runtime. Ultimately of course M61LL is more flexible IMO but this does not discount M31LL.

M61LL:
The input voltage is 3.4 - 9 volts. Below 3.4 volts it will drop out of regulation and run direct drive. The output is approximately 100 measured out the front lumens. The current draw is only 150ma at 6 volts. The full output runtime is approximately 10 hours on two CR123 primary batteries with a nice long taper as voltage drops

M31LL:
The input voltage is 0.8 to 3.0 volts. It requires 0.8v for full output. The output is approximately 60 measured out the front lumens at 0.8v-3.0v. The current draw is 225ma at 3 volts, 275ma at 2.4 volts, and 550ma at 1.2v

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff "LL" modules are the most flexible device he makes.
The LL will run in:
3P, 6P, 9P and 12P, the latter with Li-Ion cells, not 123s.

I have run it in all of these permutations and the runtime / lumens varies based on what you have it in.
This is just a partial list, 9P and 2xAA and 3xAA bodies not shown.

3P_4.jpg

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's awesome! I would like to get one but would it fit snugly in a Solarforce L2P?
Add copper tape to the module until it fits nice and tight or get a donor outer spring from a regular (more common) module and it works great.

FaithinGod

Newly Enlightened
I searched but could not find the former thread/post showing the runtime of either the M60 or M61 on low (using the high/low ring which Malkoff offers), but my memory vaguely tells me it was around 17 hours (I don't recall the exact batteries used).

Does anyone else have better recollection or record of this?

It seems relevent here in that the M61WLL is rated at 70 lumens and yet runs 17+ hours on the 18650, yet when using the high/low ring with either the M60 or M61 on low is rated about 10-20 lumens (if memory serves), yet do both run that same length of time (about 17 hours) on the same battery set-up?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

FaithinGod

Last edited:

BIG45-70

Enlightened
How does this compare to the run time you might get with a pair of rechargeable 123's?

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well real world RCR123 capacity is about 500mah x2 equals 1000mah. So figure about 1/2 to 1/3 the run run time on RCR123's vs a quality 18650.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Malkoff M61WLL

The circuit wasnt triggered, I believe its just the module dropping out of regulation. If the circuit was triggered, it would simply shut off.
Lots of my lights won't trigger the protetion circuit in the lower settings because the current draw is too low to trigger the circuit. This might be the reason why the m61wll wont suddently cut off, but instead gradually dim down to ~8 lumens. Did you check the battery voltage after the runtime test?

Latest posts