Malkoff MD2--Anything better for the price?

Me+Light=Addiction

Enlightened
All they get is praise on this forum so i'm really looking forward to getting one. Just went to his site to try and buy the items listed in my signature below but found out shipping was $55. That combined with me not knowing if i'll get taxed upon importing is holding me off buying it direcly. So if anyone wants to sell me one feel free to PM me! :)

maglite mike

Enlightened
Thanks for the detailed reply. I need to research the switch system I will be using. On my ar I might go with a pressure switch but the shot gun will be a clicky with monetary on and high only. Does the malkoff turn key md2 have different switch options too?
From a reliability/durability perspective, the Malkoff MD2 is fully equal to the Elzetta Bravo with an M61. I've got two MD2s mounted to ARs, with the new-ish M61 Throw Heads and single mode rings. None of my Elzettas have been weapon mounted because the Malkoffs work just as well for me for considerably less cost. When I used M61s, I ran Surefire 6Ps instead of MD2s since I wasn't using the high/low feature of the MD2.

If you want the high/low option, when the light is weapon mounted it's easier to loosen/tighten the Elzetta tailcap to change outputs than to loosen/tighten the Malkoff head. If you want to run a pressure switch, the Surefire XM07 tailcap and pressure switch work on the MD2. Elzetta does have their own pressure switch, but it doesn't incorporate a separate tailcap switch to use in case the pressure switch fails.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only tailcap offered by Malkoff is a shrouded unit that uses the McClicky switch. Since it uses Surefire P/C/G series threads, any tailcap that works on a P/C/G light should work on a Malkoff MD2. I've personally used Z41s, Z41s upgraded with McClicky switches, XM07s, and Moddoolar Triads.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
In a word....heckno!!!

The MD2 is a very solid light. About as exciting as a hammer and just as tough.

Hammers are cool.

The only tailcap offered by Malkoff is a shrouded unit that uses the McClicky switch. Since it uses Surefire P/C/G series threads, any tailcap that works on a P/C/G light should work on a Malkoff MD2. I've personally used Z41s, Z41s upgraded with McClicky switches, XM07s, and Moddoolar Triads.

Twisty hi/lo, twisty on/off?

We're there dude.

Note to self; acquire black Z72.

Last edited:

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was about to start a new thread, but then found this one. Thought it would be better to resurrect an older post that start a new one. Anyways....

...I just received my MD2 yesterday afternoon (M61 hi/lo turnkey).

I had been thinking about it for a while and there were a handful of reasons why I finally chose to purchase the MD2:
1. I've got lots of lights with lots of modes and as I get older, the less interested I am in cycling through modes to get what I want. With the MD2, I can simply set the tightness of the head and know exactly what I'm getting.
2. Two well spaced modes is all I need for a work light.
3. There is an appeal to having a solid light that can be easily modified just by swapping light engines whenever the next big thing becomes available.
4. I admire the design decisions and trade-offs made in the design of the light engine
5. Perhaps most importantly, the MD2 is a light that lots of people are familiar with and make comparisons to. I wanted to experience the light so that I'd understand the reference.

I did have some reservations.
1. I knew that it would not be comfortable to pocket carry. Too heavy, too wide (especially the head!).
2. Too heavy to hold in the mouth should the need arise.
3. Having a head wider than the body makes finding a good fitting holster tricky unless I'm willing to carry bezel up with head exposed.

But I thought I'd give it a try anyways. I have a holster that works okay, but hopefully I'll find something better soon. 325 lumens is more than I need, so if I end up liking everything else about the light, a L or even LL light engine will probably be under the xmas tree next year.

--flatline

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
...so if I end up liking everything else about the light, a L or even LL light engine will probably be under the xmas tree next year.

--flatline

No matter how hard I try, I always end up with more Malkoff drop ins than hosts. I just lack the discipline to space my purchases out by a year!

What holster are you using? If you don't want the head of the light exposed, the 5" flashlight sheath from Maxpedition has a velcro flap and is perfect for an MD2. It's also flexible enough to accommodate a Hound Dog 18650 on an MD2. I'm just gonna leave that here, in case your exposure to the Malkoff junkie thread accelerates your purchase plans. :devil:

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
What holster are you using? If you don't want the head of the light exposed, the 5" flashlight sheath from Maxpedition has a velcro flap and is perfect for an MD2. It's also flexible enough to accommodate a Hound Dog 18650 on an MD2. I'm just gonna leave that here, in case your exposure to the Malkoff junkie thread accelerates your purchase plans. :devil:

It's the MG PLI holster. It's just a bigger version of the MG L-mini holster with the same short-lived velcro.

I'll give the Maxpedition flashlight sheath a look. Thanks for the lead!

--flatline

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
No matter how hard I try, I always end up with more Malkoff drop ins than hosts. I just lack the discipline to space my purchases out by a year!

Well, I have limited attention span and lots of interests. I attempt to pace my spending on any particular area so that I don't end up spending money on a bunch of stuff that gets ignored when I finally receive it because my attention has moved on.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

--flatline

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was at Batteries+Bulbs to recycle a sealed lead acid battery and noticed a NEBO flashlight holster for $8 that holds the MD2 very well head down (too loose head up, although that would probably improve if I had the tricap tail). The belt clip isn't as strong as I'd like, but so far has been holding up just fine. I'll keep an eye on it and report back if it fails or becomes worrisome.

--flatline

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was about to start a new thread, but then found this one. Thought it would be better to resurrect an older post that start a new one. Anyways....

...I just received my MD2 yesterday afternoon (M61 hi/lo turnkey).

I had been thinking about it for a while and there were a handful of reasons why I finally chose to purchase the MD2:
1. I've got lots of lights with lots of modes and as I get older, the less interested I am in cycling through modes to get what I want. With the MD2, I can simply set the tightness of the head and know exactly what I'm getting.
2. Two well spaced modes is all I need for a work light.
3. There is an appeal to having a solid light that can be easily modified just by swapping light engines whenever the next big thing becomes available.
4. I admire the design decisions and trade-offs made in the design of the light engine
5. Perhaps most importantly, the MD2 is a light that lots of people are familiar with and make comparisons to. I wanted to experience the light so that I'd understand the reference.

I did have some reservations.
1. I knew that it would not be comfortable to pocket carry. Too heavy, too wide (especially the head!).
2. Too heavy to hold in the mouth should the need arise.
3. Having a head wider than the body makes finding a good fitting holster tricky unless I'm willing to carry bezel up with head exposed.

But I thought I'd give it a try anyways. I have a holster that works okay, but hopefully I'll find something better soon. 325 lumens is more than I need, so if I end up liking everything else about the light, a L or even LL light engine will probably be under the xmas tree next year.

--flatline

I know I've seen this before multiple times but what is the lumens rating on the *low* mode in the MD2 M61 combo?