Mammut Lucido X-Zoom Headlamp?

kwieto

Newly Enlightened
I have a headlamp (A mammut one, to make it vaguely on topic) with the same style optic as that flashlight and it doesn't have a square beam.

Hmmm, but Only LED headlamp with that kind of optic (Zoomed Fresnel's lens) is the X-zoom model?
What kind of Mammut lamp do you have?

yowzer

Enlightened
Hmmm, but Only LED headlamp with that kind of optic (Zoomed Fresnel's lens) is the X-zoom model?
What kind of Mammut lamp do you have?

Sorry, got off topic. I'm not talking about the X-zoom, other in that it has an optic that produces a square beam. My (non-square) mammut is the TXlite. Come to think of it, I think the TX1, which has a similarly shaped optic, does the square beam too. It's interesting how two very similar designs produce two wildly different beam patterns.

kwieto

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm, I've just read that the TX1 gives square beam. but the optics seems to be little different than TX Lite.

TX1 have three leds, 1x HiFlux and 2x "definition LED" The HiFlux is responsible for spot light, and the two others for flood light.

TX Lite gives two modes (spot/flood) at the same time with usage of only one LED (HiFlux) and the range is much smaller - 41m.
So there should be different kind of optics, which keep one part of the beam concentrated (spot) and the other part flooding around. This explains why the total range is much much lower (41m compared to 105m given by TX1)

And remeber, that in X-zoom the light is square only in most concetrated setting. When you zoom it out, the shape becomes round, as in typical lens.

kwieto

Newly Enlightened
So are you saying that the Mammut is brighter than the myo rxp?

Back to this question again:
I am just after the tests comparing X-zoom against Myo XP (blue one) modded with the same LED As it is in RXP (SSC P4 bin U)
And yes, X-zoom is definitely brighter.

Myo Has the stronger led, but it is visible only when illuminated object is in centimeters range ;")
When the distance become larger, but still even less than 1m, you see that the light from X-zoom is stronger. This is because the light in Myo is more wide and big ammount of energy "goes to the whistle" in comparision to X-zoom's more concentrated beam.

I am working on the detailed review, but from the user point of view - so don't expect any photos presenting what chips are inside, or measurements how much mA it takes on each lighting level :"P

Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
looks like both are driven by 3 AA batts,
so the easiest way to guess brightness were to measure current draw and compare

PS: both are crap - for headlamps - because without the center rubber strap, any headlamp this "big"/heavy is useless.

kwieto

Newly Enlightened
looks like both are driven by 3 AA batts,
so the easiest way to guess brightness were to measure current draw and compare

No. This way you can only measure the power of the LED, but remember that there is optics, too.
Poor optics will make your lamp lighting everywhere, but not where you want :")
More precise optic will make more concentrated beam and less part of light is wasted.

One of my test photos (from the left: reference photo; Myo XP "blue" before modification; Myo XP after installing SSC P4 bin U - making it "2008" model; Mammut X-zoom)

sklejkabateriealkaliczn.jpg

Shoots were made from the distance of 27m

And remember, both lights are comparable if you will measure only the power (c.a. 85 lumens)

PS: both are crap - for headlamps - because without the center rubber strap, any headlamp this "big"/heavy is useless.

There is a top strap for Myo XP an it is quite comfortable.
Mammut is more designed to work with a helmet, where you don't need the top strap.

Last edited: