Man, the sales threads have exploded

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree. I would have jumped into the spy last year, but this year I'm just watching it and calculating whether I could drop so much on a light. It's so tempting especially when they're on sale for so long.

I tried selling my Novatac 120P with PEU stainless steel body and sapphire window for even $120 in used condition and no one was interested. I paid $180 for that setup.

the spy007 thing suprised me too. thought that everyone who got it really wanted it for keeps! and just loved it.

i guess its the economy forcing to sell the special ones that are worth more.

what i have noticed with some of the lights i am interested..

like good condition used novatac 120p seemed to have normal asking price under 100 in 2007 and early 2008. (searched the posts when i was bored, found many in 80$ range)
now past 3 months or so the "normal" asking price seems to be from 100 to 150. (at the same time some vendors have been selling them NEW for 130 or so!)

to me it looks like that some seem to sell medium priced lights for about the same as new. and many buy them.

in my mind used goods loose minimum 15% of their value the moment you take out from the shop, when you have used it 20-25%.. and when the use is visible (dings scratches etc) 30% and more.

for instance. seen used lummi raw´s for sale for 2 to 5 dollars more than whats the asking price new.. and they were sold the same day.

All in all.. it seems that number of high priced lights for sale have increased, and selling them is harder.

but at the same time the medium priced lights could be put to sale with near same price as new and still get sold in fast pace.

and..a personal petpeeve..
i see a interesting light for sale.
the price is right.
and shipping might even be said to be free or reasonable..

but..

its only available to people in con us.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
xcel730.. i know.. i kept an keen eye on it.

i offer 100$ from that 120p shipped to finland. :)

didnt make an offer there as i think it would easily been cosidered as offensive to offer only that little.

and fedex is SO expensive! guess 30$ is on low side for what fedex would ask for such. usps would ask from 5-13$ or so?

(also add on´s are like in cars.. you pay 1000 for ac and aluminum wheels.. but when you sell it used it jumps the price only by 100 to plainjane model... so add ons are freebies :) )

*to topic*
-i would like in market place the post limit to be 2 pages of bumps and questions. then a new updated thread.
-maximum time for thread to be active 4 weeks.
-maximum bumps per day 2.
-maximum bumps per thread 10
-could be good idea to force 1$ price drop every 4 bumps.

and for dealers 10 pages max on one thread.

when the limits are met, thread would automatically move into archives and alert the seller by email.

ackbar

Enlightened
in my mind used goods loose minimum 15% of their value the moment you take out from the shop, when you have used it 20-25%.. and when the use is visible (dings scratches etc) 30% and more.

I may not agree with you on the exact numbers but in general yes. It peeves me too to see a used item selling for what a new item costs. Most days I wonder what kind of crack some of these buyers are smoking. For me, I'd say I would expect a discount for even a BNIB item. Why the hell would anyone buy privately, when so many things can go wrong vs buying from a reputable dealer for the same price?

Now for those who buy at an inflated price when the same item is available elsewhere for LESS.. I would like to know what you guys are on? We all could use some these days :p

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
hah.. so true ackbar.. but so far my wild imagination serves me well.. dont need mind expanding happy pills.. actually i might need more downers like my friends say every so often.

the numbers are rough estimates and coming from person who is scrooge mcduck by heart.

yes. nib does not mean the same price as new from shop. vat atleast should be taken off. and many times guarantees dont qualify to second hand owner.

hmm i think i saw used nitecore for sale once with asking price of 50 (or 53$) and with 5$ shipping to us.. hmm 4sevens sold/sells them for 59 shipped?

thats was just umm.. weird.. and it was sold! 4 bucks saved for used light?

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now for those who buy at an inflated price when the same item is available elsewhere for LESS.. I would like to know what you guys are on? We all could use some these days :p

I can think of a few reasons. Shipping and Duty fees being the most common. Lots of dealers simply don't ship outside the US and when they do it is very pricey. A CPFMP seller might ship his item for $12 priority international in a USPS one rate box and have a declared value of $11. That can be a major cost savings for the buyer.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast

hmm i think i saw used nitecore for sale once with asking price of 50 (or 53$) and with 5$ shipping to us.. hmm 4sevens sold/sells them for 59 shipped?

I've noticed similar trends on ebay for years, people will take the risk of unknown seller to save just a buck or two. And its well known among ebay's that many buyers do not think about the shipping cost in the final price. I used to include shipping costs in all my items (free ship) but I always got faster sales by lowering the sale price and charging real shipping. ( I refuse on moral grounds to profit on the shipping). Also, people really do fall for the $59.95 +$6.95 shipping vs $60 + $5 shipping.
:thinking:

ackbar

Enlightened
I can think of a few reasons. Shipping and Duty fees being the most common. Lots of dealers simply don't ship outside the US and when they do it is very pricey. A CPFMP seller might ship his item for $12 priority international in a USPS one rate box and have a declared value of $11. That can be a major cost savings for the buyer.

I know that tune too well I'm afraid but the incident that I'm thinking of happened to be conus only I believe.

addictedmatt

Enlightened
I try to stick to conus sales for a few reasons. Lack of tracking, customs forms, and most of all the added costs of shipping overseas. I will usually eat the shipping costs of lights that I sell in the us, because it's usually under 10 bucks. I don't want to create sales threads with multiple shipping prices and such. That being said, I will often ship overseas if someone asks me to in a nice pm. :grin2:

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder how much of it has to do with the CPFM restructuring?
My comments were talking about in general before the change, but your point I think will affect sales strongly, at least for awhile until everyone gets used to it.

It has changed how throughly and how often I view new sales threads because it now takes so much longer to go through them.

Latest posts