• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Manker E14 (4*Cree XP-G2/ Nichia 219B) is releasing

rycen

Enlightened
The E14 doesn't use an 18650. It uses an 18350. Are you asking about an 18350 or did you get the 18650 battery tube?

Yes I have the 18650 body. Sorry I should've mentioned that. I tried a Jetbeam 3400 protected and its a little tight. Also it won't access turbo or strobe with that battery. I assume it's because that's not a high drain battery?

akhyar

Enlightened
Stick to stock high drain battery like Samsung 30Q, LG HG2, Sony VTC5/6 and you should be good.
Those PCB in some protected batteris might trip early, preventing the use of Turbo mode.

Howiezowie

Newly Enlightened
Those Orbtronics should fit. (I have other Orbtronic 18650s that are the same size measurements as the ones you linked to, and they do fit that light.) Check out www.orbtronic.com as well to see the variety of 18650 batteries they make, and you might get a better price ordering direct from them than Amazon.

LogicalBeard

Newly Enlightened
OlM9olg.jpg
[/IMG]
They ship with the bistro UI now. Can someone more knowledgeable expand on that? Does that mean it has the x5 or x6 chip now? I wanted to note that the batter check blinks 4 times when the battery is 100 percent, 3 blinks when the battery is over 75 percent, 2 times when it is over 50 percent, and that is as far as I have let it run down. I would assume 0 blinks for when it is under 25 percent and 1 blink when it is in-between 25 and 50 percent. One last thing to note, it isn't talked about much but when memory mode is off, a long press, about 3 seconds, will jump you back to moonlight mode.

Edit: I am thinking it is the A6 driver/UI and they just shipped it with a Bistro UI diagram.

Last edited:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've held off posting for a few days since receiving mine. Had the E14 and an 18650 tube arrive from China last week. Fairly impressive build quality for such an inexpensive, multi-emitter light. As has been pointed out many times, this little light will definitely heat up QUICKLY on the higher settings. That's a good thing - the copper head doing its job moving the heat away from the electronics. I was so impressed that I ordered another one from Amazon. So I have a long and a short. Had some old IMR18350 and 18650 cells that worked fine, but decided to pick up 2 AW 18650 (3000mAh/20A Continuous) and 2 AW 18350 (800mAh/12A Continuous) and they fit and function perfectly.

My 18650 version reads 1200 lumen in my sphere (Nichia 219)

Even with the short tube this is a HEAVY light, but the tint and beam pattern are so nice that it's hard to not carry it. The long tube version has taken over morning dog walk duties. Still using factory settings (although I want to switch to 'memory mode on') I find that level 3 or 4 is plenty of light for the early morning dog walks. Turbo is just nuts - even overkill, as the highest normal level is plenty.

As has been mentioned, the clicky requires finesse to access the levels without accidentally clicking, but I've become accustomed to it and now it's easy.

And the tint on my 2 lights is about the same. Nice, neutral tint. No rosy tint like I love so much on my Aeon MKIII or even my Eagletac D25C Nichia, but still a nice tint that lets colors show through naturally.

Who'd a thunk it - $50 for a 1000+ lumen, multi-emitter programmable light with a copper head. These are the good old days for sure.

HorizontalHunter

Enlightened
I've held off posting for a few days since receiving mine. Had the E14 and an 18650 tube arrive from China last week. Fairly impressive build quality for such an inexpensive, multi-emitter light. As has been pointed out many times, this little light will definitely heat up QUICKLY on the higher settings. That's a good thing - the copper head doing its job moving the heat away from the electronics. I was so impressed that I ordered another one from Amazon. So I have a long and a short. Had some old IMR18350 and 18650 cells that worked fine, but decided to pick up 2 AW 18650 (3000mAh/20A Continuous) and 2 AW 18350 (800mAh/12A Continuous) and they fit and function perfectly.

My 18650 version reads 1200 lumen in my sphere (Nichia 219)

Even with the short tube this is a HEAVY light, but the tint and beam pattern are so nice that it's hard to not carry it. The long tube version has taken over morning dog walk duties. Still using factory settings (although I want to switch to 'memory mode on') I find that level 3 or 4 is plenty of light for the early morning dog walks. Turbo is just nuts - even overkill, as the highest normal level is plenty.

As has been mentioned, the clicky requires finesse to access the levels without accidentally clicking, but I've become accustomed to it and now it's easy.

And the tint on my 2 lights is about the same. Nice, neutral tint. No rosy tint like I love so much on my Aeon MKIII or even my Eagletac D25C Nichia, but still a nice tint that lets colors show through naturally.

Who'd a thunk it - $50 for a 1000+ lumen, multi-emitter programmable light with a copper head. These are the good old days for sure.

+1

love mine.

Bob

LogicalBeard

Newly Enlightened
Can someone verify my findings about the battery check? Mine blinks 1 time from 0-25 percent, 2 times for 26-75, 3 times for 76-99, and 4 times for 100 percent. Did I get one with weird firmware or something? It doesn't make sense to me that 2 blinks covers a 50 percent range while all the others cover 25 percent. :shakehead

rycen

Enlightened
Those Orbtronics should fit. (I have other Orbtronic 18650s that are the same size measurements as the ones you linked to, and they do fit that light.) Check out www.orbtronic.com as well to see the variety of 18650 batteries they make, and you might get a better price ordering direct from them than Amazon.

Just wanted to report back and say the orbtronic do fit as does the Samsung 30Q. Thanks for the recommendation.

dubliftment

Newly Enlightened
Folks, since my S41 (astrolux version of the E14) fried its own driver I swapped it for the BLF Kronos X6 driver with Bistro firmware. Everything works fine, also temperature regulation, and delivers a max that isn't insane (i.e. the Kronos X6 puts out ca. 4,7V on max for its XP-L HI LED, so the Nichias now get aproximately 1,2V each.) So this seems to be a good solution to make this light heat-handable if you can go with some 1100 Lumens on max (estimated, compared with Zebralight SC600wII on max).

But for some reason the light instantly shuts of on the high and turbo mode when using unprotected Samsung Q30 or LG DBMJ1. Why that? On old Trustfire or Surefire protected cells it works just fine.

dubliftment

Newly Enlightened
Yes I did. But the driver didn't die completely, it just lost the moonlight and low mode, the strobe, bike flasher and battery check. Everything else still "works" still, albeit not feeling really healthy. For example, instead of Moonlight, it just gives a barely noticable flicker.

Last edited:

dubliftment

Newly Enlightened
Just curious, were you using a 18650 when the driver fried?

yes. And I think it is ridiculous to release such a light without implementing a temperature controlled step-down on the two highest levels. The driver was giving smoke signals on high, not on turbo. anyway, I just put in a driver with temperature control and now all is fine.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used mine on work, fell out of my pocket when climbing into a boat. 4 meter fall into concrete. The ding it got annoyed me..
DSC_0494_zpsi6tx8hhv.jpg

Gave it a 3 minute bath in drain cleaner to get rid of the ano. Glasses and gloves is a must here. And use (someone elses) toothbrush to give it a scrub between the knurling :devil:
DSC_0497_zpsyasuh0d7.jpg

Used Autosol metal polish to make it shine. Dremel around the lense (did not want to ruin the lense so had to be careful there) and a eletric drill with polishing wheel on the sides. Voila, looks nice again :) It took about 1,5 hour, the drill ran out of battery so i had to take a break while it charged. could have done it in one hour.
DSC_0499_zpskg1qrbjf.jpg

Now i just smack my head, because i forgot to strip the ano of my 18650 tube ... :ohgeez:

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did not remove the ano on the threads. So it looks like ss. Spreads the heat like alu, and the tailcap lockout still works as it should :)