Matching AA and 2AA advice please - Fenix, Quark or other?

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
The flickering is on-off flicker when the bezel is loose, not bezel loose-turbo flicker.
You mean preflash? It's really not that big of a deal. It doesn't even rank as "minor annoyance" in my book. And for the record, Fenix lights also have preflash.

If you're talking about something else than I would say that your light is probably faulty and should be sent back to 4sevens for repair/replacement. My Quark AA doesn't exhibit any flickering at all.
Egsis said:
The threads are cut so that the o-rings get damaged very easy, there is no room for it to seat nicely.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Looking at my light, the O-ring is seated nicely just below the threads and I have to dig my fingernail under it to get it loose. I don't see how it's possible for the O-ring to become damaged by the threads through normal use.

You seem to be a big fan of Fenix, which is fine, but you shouldn't be spreading FUD about other brands.

Egsise

Banned
You mean preflash? It's really not that big of a deal. It doesn't even rank as "minor annoyance" in my book. And for the record, Fenix lights also have preflash.

If you're talking about something else than I would say that your light is probably faulty and should be sent back to 4sevens for repair/replacement. My Quark AA doesn't exhibit any flickering at all.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Looking at my light, the O-ring is seated nicely just below the threads and I have to dig my fingernail under it to get it loose. I don't see how it's possible for the O-ring to become damaged by the threads through normal use.

You seem to be a big fan of Fenix, which is fine, but you shouldn't be spreading FUD about other brands.
No I don't mean preflash, and FYI there is no preflash in LD10.
My Quark AAW flickers easily than LD10 when the bezel is loosened, that is because the threads are not a tight fit.

About Quark threads damaging the o-rings, well it could be that my Quark AAW o-rings are a bit too thick, but thats bad quality too, right?

I will not send my 59$ Quark to 4sevens because it would cost me 30-40$.

Now the bad things about Fenix LD10.
Q5 tint is ugly ugly blue compared to Quark Q3 5A neutral white.
9 lumen low is way too much, 1 lumen would much useable.
Operating voltage 0.9-3V, no 14500 Li-ion support.
Candle mode is wobbly, I replaced the LD10 tailcap with L1D tailcap, much better.

Fenix is not perfect either.

If(in my opinion) flashlight A is not as good as flashlight B, is it FUD if I say it out loud?

This is not a debate, I just told my experiences about Quark AAW and LD10, and the reason why I didn't buy the D10.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Quark AAW flickers easily than LD10 when the bezel is loosened, that is because the threads are not a tight fit.

About Quark threads damaging the o-rings, well it could be that my Quark AAW o-rings are a bit too thick, but thats bad quality too, right?

I will not send my 59$ Quark to 4sevens because it would cost me 30-40$.
As I said, my Quark AA does not exhibit any of the problems you've described, and I haven't seen other people complaining about similar problems so I can only assume you have a lemon. As for sending it to 4sevens, I assume you don't live in the US? I had no idea overseas shipping was so outrageously expensive.

vali

Enlightened
Yes, they are. It's a shame when you try to buy some things and why you end avoiding some good online shops. Getting cheap batteries is not that easy if you live, like me, in Spain. That's why I smile when someone states that CR123 lights are "better" because you can find them cheap online (If you want to get a reputable brand).

Back on topic.

The first thing to note is that I am a big fan of 2xAA format. I think they are the best compromise between runtime, easy to handle, size, battery type, lack of maintenance (think of average joe with li-ions), etc. If some friend ask me about what kind of light to get for "normal" use, I will tell him to get a 2xAA one. Of course, there are situations where another form factors are more recommended.

I have both Fenix LD20 and Quark 2xAA (warm). There are a couple of differences between them, although not of them objetive, that should lean you towards one of another.

Both of them are quality lights, but the Fenix feels better in the hand. Of course, that's my own opinion/taste. Some complain about the LD20 being slippery, but in my hand it just feels great. The anodized in the Quark started to wear out a bit in the Quark knurling and seems thinner than in the Fenix (I got the Fenix several months before the Quark and there is no sign of wear yet).

I found the threads in the LD20 a bit too thing. Sometimes is a bit hard to start screwing the tailcap after a cell change, but they are anodized both in the tailcap and the body. The quark ones are only anodized in the tailcap (remember, I have the "updated" tailcap wich came with the warm versions) and that can lead to lockout problems, but as I never use it, for me is not a concern.

The switch in the Fenix feels better to, even if the warm Quarks came with the updated-and-not-that-hard-to-press switch. I am not saying that the Quark swith is bad or something like that, but I like the L20 more. Another thing I dont like in the Quark is the battery rattling (not big, but it is there), wich is not present in the Fenix. The Quark have a reversable clip too.

The Quark can tailstand perfectly. The tailcap end is totally flat (regular version) and feels very secure in that position. Yes, the Fenix, can tailstand too... if you like doing equilibrium games. You need a perfect and flat surface to do it, but if you breath too strong near it, it will fall down. I have to note too that the lanyard holes are good but not perfect. If you use the tiny split-ring (included) in one hole, you lose the tailstanding feature, but if you use the two holes, the split ring stumbles against the boot tail and the resulting position is a bit "intrusive" (sorry, but I dont know how to explain this, I am lackin vocabulary here). I think they should redesing it and get something like the Nitecore D10/D20.

But the big, big difference is the real low modes that the Quark have. You get a "moon mode" that its perfect for keeping your night-vision intact (or your wife asleep) with GREAT runtime and the different brightness levels are "better" IMHO. The Fenix "Low" is almost as bright as the Quark medium, but the maximun one is comparable in both. The LD20 have "cree rings" whereas the Quark is flawless (almost perfect, in fact).

I think it summarizes more or less the differences between them. My LD20 is right now almost a shelf queen after getting the Quark (I really like the low modes). If the hipotetically friend I talked about asked me what to get, I will probably say, get a... Fenix TK20 :)crackup:).

Why? Average people only use flashlights when they need a decent amount of light and for relative short periods of time. The beam pattern/throw is more like the one in the usual incans (tint too) and is almost indestructible.

Edit: OMG, the reply was HUGE.

dracodoc

Newly Enlightened
If you want these 2 lights swappable, just to make sure you can "put together" a working light in case Both of them failed and failed on different parts, I would say this reason is not strong enough to exclude many good lights out of your selection.
1. They are not that easy broken
2. Carry more lights, that's a good excuse to buy more interest lights. Another AA light will not much weight to your package.

Then you will find you have many good light you can choose from.

Last edited:

dracodoc

Newly Enlightened
Besides there was this nitecore clearance 2 days ago, D20 Q5 for $35, NDI for $48. They are out of stock now, but I'm wonder if there will be any more listed.

Last edited:

Egsise

Banned
If the hipotetically friend I talked about asked me what to get, I will probably say, get a... Fenix TK20 :)crackup:).

Why? Average people only use flashlights when they need a decent amount of light and for relative short periods of time. The beam pattern/throw is more like the one in the usual incans (tint too) and is almost indestructible
+1 to TK20, I use it outdoors a lot, and it is nice to have a flashlight that you can borrow to anyone with minimal explanation on how it works.