• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Mateminco MT90vn+ = Farthest Reflector Thrower ...COMING SOON...

star_c_star

Enlightened
I just ordered a Mateminco MT90vn Spec C.
Spec C supposedly has continuous turbo! Vinh must have added more heat sinking.

It will replace one of my BLF GT90vns.

Once I receive it, I'll order a second one, perhaps Spec B.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered a Mateminco MT90vn Spec C.
Spec C supposedly has continuous turbo! Vinh must have added more heat sinking. DriverVNX2 mounts directly to the host so there is PLENTY of heat sinking since the light's mass is obviously massive. The factory driver has a thermal pad like material injected to cool the driver but its still not as ideal.

It will replace one of my BLF GT90vns.

Once I receive it, I'll order a second one, perhaps Spec B. Spec B has great value if you are OK with the UI and the limited turbo timer.

star_c_star

Enlightened
Creating Spec C sounds like much more work than creating Spec B.

But it seems like it is worth it, based on Vinh's description.

Last edited:

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Wow factor still have not wear off have after several days of intimacy. ;-)

Size, weight and performance are all quite overwhelming to adsorb.

This light has to be weigh in 2 parts because it exceeded my shipping scale limit.

7.5lbs and it feels even more in my small hand!!!

I remember the first time I saw the Olight SR90 on your tube I was just amazed.

The size was overwhelming as nothing came close.

When Selfbuilt review quoted it at 100Kcd I knew I had to saved up for one.

Coincidentally, Both the SR90+ & and MT90+ are both $400. $400 was more astonishing back then for obvious reasons.

Today we have the MT90vn+ that has about 29 times beam intensity and roughly 4 times the output.

We have come SO FAR!

I have doubts that anyone will ever make a reflector flashlight bigger than the MT90+ so I am definitely going to keep at least 1 stock for future LED improvements. :)

SR90vn in photo is modded with SBT70 round die to produce a wonderful beam!

When a light put this kind of intensity in full sunlight you know it's the real deal! Cheers!
BZMa8sv.jpg

ta3aCpq.jpg

2xGu2eo.jpg

EftJWAO.jpg

Last edited:

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Tomorrow I will try to get onto this tall building that I have access to for beam shots. Hopefully I won't get in trouble and it doesnt rain like last night. So hard to find a place that can do this light justice.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I already felt pretty illegal using the K75 anywhere here in the city, I can't even imagine using that thing. You're literally a helicopter searchlight at that point.

BVH

Flashaholic
Yeah I already felt pretty illegal using the K75 anywhere here in the city, I can't even imagine using that thing. You're literally a helicopter searchlight at that point.

Well, maybe not quite "literally" until you reach 60,000 Lumens in a 4 degree beam. But yes, it's all in fun!:D

SKV89

Enlightened
Well, maybe not quite "literally" until you reach 60,000 Lumens in a 4 degree beam. But yes, it's all in fun!:D

I doubt helicopter search lights are that powerful. I doubt such a light even exist. But if it does, I would love to see it!

star_c_star

Enlightened

The Mateminco MT90 plus is probably the largest production LED flashlight being produced, with the greatest throw. (If not, I would love to see the ones that are larger, or with more throw).

Even so, it can't really compete against light sources such as helicopter and tank searchlights, which are not meant to be carried by a person. Also, I'm sure it can't compete with the brightest HID and Short Arc portable lights, with tens of millions of Candela.

I would love to see technology improvements that would permit a hand carried LED flashlight to reach portable Short Arc throw levels. LEP flashlights probably would reach those levels first.

Last edited:

BVH

Flashaholic
I doubt helicopter search lights are that powerful. I doubt such a light even exist. But if it does, I would love to see it!

SKY, look up the Spectrolab NightSun. These have been around for 25-30 years producing just the numbers I posted. I'll make it easy for you. Here's the datasheet: http://www.spectrolab.com/searchlights/pdfs/SX-16_Enhanced.pdf

My WWII, 60" Carbon Arc produced 800,000,000 CP when new and about 220,000 Lumens.

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast
SKY, look up the Spectrolab NightSun. These have been around for 25-30 years producing just the numbers I posted. I'll make it easy for you. Here's the datasheet: http://www.spectrolab.com/searchlights/pdfs/SX-16_Enhanced.pdf

My WWII, 60" Carbon Arc produced 800,000,000 CP when new and about 220,000 Lumens.

Is it possible to get a new bulb and restore the reflector to its former glory to get all its preformance back?

BVH

Flashaholic
The Carbon Arc uses a 5 foot Bronze and/or brass, Rhodium plated mirror. It would be almost impossible to find a place that could accommodate plating the large mirror and it would cost a small fortune to buy the Rhodium. None of the owners (many belong to a Google based forum) have ever attempted this that I am aware of. The light is not produced by a bulb. It is produced by striking a 7/16" diameter Carbon composite rod against a 5/8" diameter, Cerium core rod and then drawing them apart to about a 1/2" gap where they burn down to short nubs. The rods are fed with about 150 Amps at about 78 Volts DC. It's very similar to the light produced during arc welding. The Cerium core produces a a higher intensity arc than pure Carbon. I got about 3+ hours on the positive rods and 2.5 hours on the negative rods.

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Carbon Arc uses a 5 foot Bronze and/or brass, Rhodium plated mirror. It would be almost impossible to find a place that could accommodate plating the large mirror and it would cost a small fortune to buy the Rhodium. None of the owners (many belong to a Google based forum) have ever attempted this that I am aware of. The light is not produced by a bulb. It is produced by striking a 7/16" diameter Carbon composite rod against a 5/8" diameter, Cerium core rod and then drawing them apart to about a 1/2" gap where they burn down to short nubs. The rods are fed with about 150 Amps at about 78 Volts DC. It's very similar to the light produced during arc welding. The Cerium core produces a a higher intensity arc than pure Carbon. I got about 3+ hours on the positive rods and 2.5 hours on the negative rods.

Wow I ahd no idea thats how carbon arcs worked. Are the rods expensive?

BVH

Flashaholic
I don't want to derail Vinhs thread more than I have. There are still sealed steel cans with 25 pair of rods in them surrounded by sawdust from the war time that the operators are still using. Last I bought some, a can was about $350.00. I rented myself with the light for a typical 3-hr gig which brought in about $325. There are newer rods but they don't work nearly as well and have no Cerium core.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Mateminco MT90 plus is probably the largest production LED flashlight being produced, with the greatest throw. (If not, I would love to see the ones that are larger, or with more throw).

Even so, it can't really compete against light sources such as helicopter and tank searchlights, which are not meant to be carried by a person. Also, I'm sure it can't compete with the brightest HID and Short Arc portable lights, with tens of millions of Candela.

I would love to see technology improvements that would permit a hand carried LED flashlight to reach portable Short Arc throw levels. LEP flashlights probably would reach those levels first.

Oh I very well know these smaller led flashlights don't hold a candle to short arcs, I was making an exaggeration comparing it to a helicopter searchlight, because you're definitely getting noticed if you use it from on top a building, especially since it won't be focused nearly as well as a true searchlight, or even a transportable stagelight type of light.

Image credit to wikipedia. These are ww2 searchlights used in action. No modern led holds a candle to these.
Kavgxeo.jpg

Last edited: