• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired MC-E + 18650

Gaius

Newly Enlightened
Hi
Have you overlook my post #16. Can you please tell me where to paypal.:popcorn:

download

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Donn, got your paypal.

Sorry Gaius, I did overlook your post. :ohgeez:
Please wait a few more days, you will be first of 2nd run. ;)

download

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to the spec. MC-E K bin @350mA ~400lm, @700mA~700lm.

The efficiency of MOSFET driver is ~95-99%
The Unscientific estimation of the light output from battery full should be 100%~700lm, 25%~175lm, 5%~20lm.

It must not be left it stand alone at 100%, (5% is OK) the flashlight body can't radiate the heat fast enough to the air. Your hand could help it a lot!!! If the outside temperature is cool enough, it is quite a hand warmer. Like below 50 Fahrenheit.
Otherwise, lower the level to 25% before it become too hot.

Last edited:

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast

Driver: MOSFET direct drive 3 mode with memory, 100%, 25%, 5% brightness, ...
Brightness index : 1000, 245, 30

Current checked from 18650 negative terminal:
4.11V current draw 3A, 0.18A, 0.02A
4.08V current draw 2.8A, 0.18A, 0.02A
4.02V current draw 2.3A, 0.15A, 0.02A
3.8V current draw 1.8A, 0.15A, 0.01A

According to the spec. MC-E K bin @350mA ~400lm, @700mA~700lm.

The efficiency of MOSFET driver is ~95-99%
The Unscientific estimation of the light output from battery full should be 100%~700lm, 25%~175lm, 5%~20lm.

It must not be left it stand alone at 100%, (25% is OK) the flashlight body can't radiate the heat fast enough to the air. Your hand could help it a lot!!! If the outside temperature is cool enough, it is quite a hand warmer. Like below 50 Fahrenheit.
Otherwise, lower the level to 25% before it become too hot.

Sounds mostly reasonable, but a bit confusing. This is basically a PWM dimmer on a direct drive LED. The current readings don't agree with the percentages (the low current is less than 1% of the max current). Measuring low duty cycle PWM with most meters produces a large error, so that might be the reason. I suspect the light outputs are the more accurate info, is that right?

I like the range of outputs. With a light this bright it might make sense to have four levels, but at least these are spaced well apart instead of some lights where the levels are too close to each other. This light appears to have a full blast (that gets hot), a medium that is almost as bright as other lights "high", but it can handle the heat load, and a "Low" that is plenty of light for most tasks and a really long runtime. It is missing a "really low" like a couple of a lumens, but that is not too bad. I also like that it doesn't bother with strobe, SOS. Nice clean interface.

Apparently it has mode memory. What is the progression of the levels?

Looking forward to it,

Last edited:

download

Flashlight Enthusiast
I adjust the distance of the MC-E (whole light) to reach index 1000 to light meter when 100% and took 25%, 5% reading.
The index result : 1000, 245, 30. It is for reference only not lumens.

The less power feed to LED, the more efficiency can get from it. It explain why less than 1% of the max current can get 3% of light output.
The offical data show 700mA gain less lumens compare to 350mA too.
This is the nature of LED. ;)

100%, 25%, 5%, 100%, 25%, 5%...........
"On" more than 2 sec., next "On" will be same level.

Gaius

Newly Enlightened
What kind of 18650 batteries' do you recommend? What about the IMR18650?

martonic

Enlightened
Hi Download, One of these in HA III natural looks appealing!:D What is the PWM frequency? Thanks!

scout24

Flashaholic
Download-
Are those lumen and runtime numbers with protected or unprotected cells? Are you making more?
Scout24

JasonH

Enlightened
I'll take a stainless setup if William lafferty didn't get the last one.
I'm not sure if you posted 1 left before or after he posted.
Let me know.

Thanks, Jason

download

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gaius, no special, 3.7V is OK. Protected 3.7V should be better for safety.

Thanks william lafferty,

martonic, PWM frequency is 4MHz.

Scout24, it is estimation only, first post was updated to avoid confusing.

Thanks JasonH.

Attention please:
I just found some issue with driver.
When using the mid level (25%), sometime it has slightly "flick" at the beginning.
After a few minus running, the "flick" will disperse.

The High (100%) & Low (5%) work without any problem.

Don't worry, I will take care of it.

donn_

Flashaholic
The SS version arrived today, and is quite a barnburner on high! Excellent beam and really nice heft to the light.

So far, absolutely no sign of flicker at any level.

I'm running an 18650 Molicell, and it seems to be working fine. An 18650 A123 has a little less output, I guess due to lower voltage, but it may be my cell of choice. High is still plenty bright, and the cell can be recharged in about 15 minutes.

:thanks:

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received mine today.

Great olive finish. Lots of Lumens. Clean floody pattern has slight dark cross in the center, large hotspot, bright spill, quite nice.

Some flickering on the mid setting is noticeable on mine. This on a fully charged well rested 18650 protected Li-Ion. I didn't run it long enough yet to have the flicker stop, perhaps this is just a fully charged phenomena, or possibly temperature related? The A123 cell at a slightly lower voltage might not do it at all (if it is voltage related).

The head warms up quickly on high, I didn't run it long enough to get hot, but it did not take long so the thermal conduction into the head is good. The body did not warm much. Again the A123 may be a good choice since it will lower the heat slightly as well.

On medium the head gets slightly warm. Great compromise setting for output, runtime and heat. Completely overpowers the max output of a Photon Proton Pro in lumens at this medium setting.

Overall a very nice light. :thumbsup:

This would make a great top of the pocket carry light if it had a good clip. Is anything like that available?

Last edited:

download

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks donn_ & Alan B,

Glad you like it. The "2nd run" driver may change to 7135 x8.

Gaius, should be around a week or 2. Stay tunned.

:thanks: