Meat Glue!

fyrstormer

Banned
I don't think it's cultural squeamishness so much as actual squeamishness. I've tried tongue, brain, heart, and tripe before; they have a disgusting texture and I will not eat them again unless they are processed to the point of being unrecognizable. Bones have a nice flavor when boiled to produce broth, but I won't eat marrow either because of its texture, again unless it's processed to the point of being unrecognizable.

I eat Chicken McNuggets and hamburgers from time to time, and I cook soup using prepared stock made from boiled scrap meat, so I figure I'm doing my part to avoid letting the less-palatable bits of livestock go to waste.

- - -

Honestly I'm more concerned about the method of binding than the binding itself. If I order a tasty cut of beef and I get a tasty cut of beef, what do I care if it's one big chunk or lots of little chunks stuck together? What matters is whether it's made from the animal I specified and it tastes as good as I expect.

HOWEVER...binding proteins together chemically could have some very bad side effects. Malformed proteins are called prions, and while most are completely non-functional, a few cause deadly diseases. Can't say I'm too fond of the idea of having non-standard proteins in my meat and hoping for the best. Given that fact, I'd rather they just use the small chunks of meat to make stew or "beef tips" instead of Lego Steak.

Last edited: