Milky Candle Pilot Run... (MC2 Teaser Photos)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Arriving Soon...

Scott,

Will you notify us when you're ready to do the dirty or will we need to keep checking back here? I really don't want to miss these.

Thanks,
LT

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

LT, well... both! Here's how to make sure you don't miss the MC2 build, in three easy steps... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

1. Make sure you're receiving email updates to this thread by clicking on the "Favorite Thread!" link at the bottom left of this page.

2. When we're ready for prepayments, I'll post to this thread... actually, I'll probably start a new thread but link to it from this one, so everybody knows about it.

3. I'll also start PMing folks when the time comes, but it IS a pretty large list at this point, so in the event that I miss you, you'll still know when it's time for prepayments from this thread.

It remains to be seen whether I'll just start processing the whole list (well over 100 units) at once, MR Bulk style, or subdivide it into groups of 25 or so, like Darkzero did with his sputtered Mag reflectors. But one way or another, I'll get it done! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BTW, thanks, everybody, for your patience. I'm trying to deliver you a really nice product that even goes beyond the capabilities of the original Milky Candle, and that's taken more time than I thought. Hopefully, though, you'll find the resulting product worth the wait!

Neg2LED

Flashlight Enthusiast

Milky: i read the thread, and it turns out that the MilkyCandle is just a Supa-Low-Drop-Out Regulator, right?

if so, i could prolly whip me up one!

Square Torg, here i come!

neg

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

Neg, you must have been up all night reading the entire thread! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

The original Milky Candle contained an LDO circuit. The upcoming MC2 will not use such a circuit. On 2x123 the old circuit was actually pretty inefficient, believe it or not. The new circuit will make better use of the energy left in those cells. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

And what the heck does "Square Torg" mean? I thought "Torg" WAS a square in Swedish.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd like to be added to the list for 2 please. Hopefully I'm not too late.

doug

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yah Scott *poke poke* whats up? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

Shane

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the poke Shane! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleepy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Diggdug13, you're not too late... I've got you added to the list for two MC2's. Thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lunal_Tic... and all others who have shown EXTREME PATIENCE with me and my ever-so-slow tinkering... THANK YOU for that! I vow that the MC2 will indeed become a reality, and you folks are going to be glad you waited for it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif But life's intervened with a newborn from around Halloween and a new job from around Thanksgiving, plus the much harder-than-expected task of transitioning from being a home-based computer consultant to a 9-5 fulltime employye of someone else's company again! I still don't have the schedule straight, and one of the casualties has been the amount of time I get to mod. Another has been sleep... very bad! I really need to right the ship quickly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

But I'm hopeful! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

As for the MC2: it's gone through some growing pains. Would you believe that I've had a couple prototypes provided by one of our little communities more well-known circuit designers for a number of months now, but still haven't nailed down the final details of the MC2? Sad but true! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I can tell you this: it's looking like the MC2 will be a fairly radical departure from the original Milky Candle... in a good way! I've revisited virtually every aspect of the design, from the level selection switch (which now looks like it's going to be a "Nuwai-style" multiple state pushbutton), to the LED (I'm presently favoring some really nice 10mm LEDs that I uncovered by accident, with great output and a beautiful hotspot... and unlike all others I've seen in this size category, this one still only requires 20mA of current flow!), to the housing itself. On this last point, the PVC tubes have served me well and I've got about 80 of them stockpiled for MC2 builds, but recently discovered a completely different housing that promises to be much shorter, a little wider, easier to build out, easier to weatherproof, and cooler looking. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif And what is this magical alternative housing? Of all things... it's a pencil sharpener! With the sharpening part removed, of course. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The circuit itself, as it stands in the prototypes I've got, is a thing of beauty. Believe it or not, between the new circuit and the new 10mm LED, the MC2 will be able to provide more light with less current flow, and run as much as 50% longer than the original! For perspective, remember that the original was capable of running in regulation in nightlight mode for 1000 hours... now add 50% to that figure, and the new circuit becomes quite remarkable! Hope I haven't pissed off the designer with my delays, but it's an inherent character trait of mine: as a friend once said of me, I'd sooner release nothing at all than release a crummy product. That's why I didn't take prepayment from you guys! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif I knew something like this would probably happen. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jbfla

Newly Enlightened

Let me add to your workload..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Add me to the list for one MS2.

JB

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast

I"m happy to wait for it to be right.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast

No worries here Scott. The extra time allows me to build up the proper amount of fodder for this little critter.

-LT

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast

Scott,
thank you for addding me, I'm a very very patient man (comes from being in the Military and all the dang lines) so take all the time you want.

doug

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

MrMom and jbfla, thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif You're both down for one MC2 apiece.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Scott, when you get a chance, can you update the first post with an overview of Q / A ? I have read this long post before, but I am sure I am missing things - like 1 x 123 or 2 x 123 ?, etc.

alauda

Enlightened

I have been following this for ages. Could you please put me down for.

The whole project has been fascinating. Wish I had your knowledge.

Tony

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

alauda, got you added to the list. Many thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

HarryN, dumb question: what do you mean? I should add a FAQ to the initial post covering various questions that have been addressed throughout the thread?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Since this thread was originally about the prior version of the Milky Candle, and it's become pretty long, what I may do this weekend is put together the FAQ that (I think) Harry's suggesting (great idea!) and place it in the start of a new thread specifically for the MC2 and the Milky Tester. Hmm...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.