min-T CNC LED bike light

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's that tiny golfball looking thing for???:thinking:

I thought you Aussies did things in a big way...I guess while you guys are playing with your remote switches and such, I'll be up the trail a few K...:eek:oo:

Here's the beef!

p1060608xu1.jpg

When yall gonna trade me two of them golfballs, for a crappy *** handheld Ti flashlight?:green:

ktronik

Enlightened
What's that tiny golfball looking thing for???:thinking:

I thought you Aussies did things in a big way...I guess while you guys are playing with your remote switches and such, I'll be up the trail a few K...:eek:oo:

Here's the beef!

p1060608xu1.jpg

When yall gonna trade me two of them golfballs, for a crappy *** handheld Ti flashlight?:green:

thats one hell of a light!!!

How many watts?? 55w?? or 100w...

is that a trailer I can see behind the bike?? maybe for all the batterys you will have to carry...:laughing:

the golf ball things are bike pedals...like the ones you are missing...are they race face cranks?? :D

as you pedal they turn a tiny dynamo which powers the LEDs inside...these then shine brightly out the side to warn other road users that I am a complete knob....:laughing::laughing::laughing:

HHHmm Ti...if I had a flashlight, i would have to walk somewhere...but thats just too slow...I would ride my bike around the house if I could...

K

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
65 watt, the low beam is burned out...

Unfortunately the pedals have been off that bike for better than two years...:( All my riding pals ran off and had babies, then they turned into big whine boxes...Five miles per hour became the riding pace, wife won't let them ride, etc., etc...

Trailer was a failed experiment, and Race Face is correct.

dom

Enlightened
I want THAT light TB:D -these lights are only used for the strobe function.

You should get back on your bike.

Hey Ktronic -my email has stuffed up -can only receive yours -can't send.
Maybe try another email addy if you have one.

Couple more build pix

Switch and Delrin holder
1302735463_290b6aca3e_o.jpg

Potted switch with Sikaflex Marine Silicone
1302735679_ee5d0f043e_o.jpg

Push into recess while wet -excess will squeeze thru wire hole.
Sikaflex is easy to remove once dry -very messy stuff to work with though.
1303613038_a32a74e0c5_o.jpg

And the last pic showing the hose which pushes firmly into the gland to protect the wires -I put some silicone grease on the end as there is an o-ring inside the gland.
1303612482_aeaf03e044_o.jpg

Cheers
Dom

Darell

Flashaholic
Looking sweet, Dom! The staggered suggestion for the connectors is, of course, a winning idea. Of all the things to be proud of on this, I think the shrink wrap is the least of your worries. :)

OK, so I'm confused, and was going to ask privately... but will ask publicly instead so everybody is on the same program. For some reason, I thought I remembered hearing that these would default to Cree emitters... but it sounds like SSC emitters are the current default? Ktronik - what's your plan to install as default (type and bin??). And has anybody actually gotten any Q5 Cree emitters from anywhere yet? Anything out there better in the SSC category than the U-bins?

I spent an inordinate amount of time on the UIB2 manual yesterday (inordinate as compared to my salary, certainly). We're still waiting on the functionality of our final fancy feature (that would be the FFF) before we button that up. If you want to open up the web site, I'd just put a summary of the UIB2 usage up there, and we can fill it in with the final info when it exists.

Here is the summary of operation as it exists in the manual right now. Would be fine to use this as a place holder.

4.1 Bicycle (UIB2) Operation Overview
Intended for bicycle lighting. Separate modes for constant and strobe (two or five levels each). From off, a click turns on to constant mode, and a long press turns off. From off, a press turns on to strobe mode, and a long press turns off. Constant and strobe modes are identical in operation and Menu choice – except for the click or press to enter the individual modes. In the 2-level Duomode, brightness change is controlled by clicking to toggle the two chosen levels. In 5-level Multimode, clicking increases brightness and pressing decreases brightness.

Last edited:

dom

Enlightened
Hi Darell -thanks for the words.
The Cree wasn't an option in these ---until some optics were found and tested -so is still up in the air at the moment till we get this sorted.

As far as i can tell -the Seoul is still a bit brighter than the Q5 WG that i tested and use at the moment with the older piston light.

Keep on working hard for your salary mate hehe.Looking forward to the UIB2

Cheers
Dom

ktronik

Enlightened
Looking sweet, Dom! The staggered suggestion for the connectors is, of course, a winning idea. Of all the things to be proud of on this, I think the shrink wrap is the least of your worries. :)

OK, so I'm confused, and was going to ask privately... but will ask publicly instead so everybody is on the same program. For some reason, I thought I remembered hearing that these would default to Cree emitters... but it sounds like SSC emitters are the current default? Ktronik - what's your plan to install as default (type and bin??). And has anybody actually gotten any Q5 Cree emitters from anywhere yet? Anything out there better in the SSC category than the U-bins?

I spent an inordinate amount of time on the UIB2 manual yesterday (inordinate as compared to my salary, certainly). We're still waiting on the functionality of our final finacy feature (that would be the FFF) before we button that up. If you want to open up the web site, I'd just put a summary of the UIB2 usage up there, and we can fill it in with the final info when it exists.

Here is the summary of operation as it exists in the manual right now. Would be fine to use this as a place holder.

4.1 Bicycle (UIB2) Operation Overview
Intended for bicycle lighting. Separate modes for constant and strobe (two or five levels each). From off, a click turns on to constant mode, and a long press turns off. From off, a press turns on to strobe mode, and a long press turns off. Constant and strobe modes are identical in operation and Menu choice – except for the click or press to enter the individual modes. In the 2-level Duomode, brightness change is controlled by clicking to toggle the two chosen levels. In 5-level Multimode, clicking increases brightness and pressing decreases brightness.

Well,

back when dom was doing the recearch into the mini-optic...the seoul version was by far the best output... so the first run will be seoul...

but if the same company will make good a mini-optic for CREE, subsequent runs will be both versions...cree & seoul, as I feel both LEDs offer something different...

Dom & I feel if you are going to try to be the best, you better stick q5's / u-bin in it or else...

We both plan to keep up with the rapid bin change, to stay ahead of the competition...so each NEW run will reflect the LATEST in LED technology...

hope that helps...

K

PS: cheers heaps for the words :thumbsup:

Last edited:

dom

Enlightened
Hey Darell -you are the sort of customer we are looking for:D

Fortunately for you -the LED swap-over will be a breeze - or maybe Ktronic could get it pumping out 1000 lumen with one of his ideas:whistle:

Cheers
Dom

ktronik

Enlightened
Hey Darell -you are the sort of customer we are looking for:D

Fortunately for you -the LED swap-over will be a breeze - or maybe Ktronic could get it pumping out 1000 lumen with one of his ideas:whistle:

Cheers
Dom

'Ostar' 1000lm...give it a few weeks @ least...:nana::devil:

K

ktronik

Enlightened
BTW

This light is only using the bflex driver for testing evaluation. The shell kits will fit the bflex, but pre-built heads will be bundled with a custom digital driver, the 'Minty' driver... it works like the old bflex but is made for this light & its use.

Last edited:

imageicon

Newly Enlightened
GOD that is a beautifull bikelight and the package seems so worked trough wish i could make stuff like that!
i ordered some triple optics and emitters my self ill try to do it :) thou mine 99% sure wont be 100% water proof and some of the other nifty things you guys are doing!

ktronik

Enlightened
GOD that is a beautifull bikelight and the package seems so worked trough wish i could make stuff like that!
i ordered some triple optics and emitters my self ill try to do it :) thou mine 99% sure wont be 100% water proof and some of the other nifty things you guys are doing!

Mate you gota start somewhere...we are just down the track a bit...

Hey it gets me on my bike...to play with my new lights...

Ktronik

Argon

Newly Enlightened
Hmm I'm just about too pull the trigger on the new cree ayup's, only thing that is holding me back is waiting for these to come out. hope it's not long now?

dom

Enlightened
Thanks Imageicon -waterproof is only a blob or two of silicone away for homemade lights:)

Hi Argon -still waiting on a few things for finalization of a finished unit -probably a couple weeks before mounts/remote switch/driver are all going properly.
Will be worth the wait if you can hang in there:popcorn:

Cheers
Dom

ktronik

Enlightened
Ktronik Build up & install pic's...

barkit.jpg

Proto unit, built up as bar mount...that's not the final bar mount, but just a test unit... remote switch + low battery indicator LED.

barmint.jpg

Installed on bike...power lead runs along the gear outer cable...

helmetmint.jpg

Helmet mount & magnetic switcher (duo mode only)

best

Ktronik

imageicon

Newly Enlightened
Very nice again guys.. keep us posted :)

im waiting for my parts from cutters hope they arrive soon they where shipped today

dom

Enlightened
Hey KtroniK (spelt your name right this time:grin2:)
That magnet switch looks the goods -does it work well?

Been working on the mount -and at the second proto -things are looking good.
The first one was using velcro -but was too fiddly -so went to using o-ring material like Dinotte and Lupine use.
Pretty happy with initial results -very solid,easy adjustment for any size bar/helmet.

These still have to be threaded and a socket to accept the ball has to be machined in - hopefully some more pix tomorrow night.

1391896918_b9c3b7c9b6_o.jpg

1391003133_68734ae304_o.jpg

Cheers
Dom