Mini Maglite 3W 3AA on sale at Home Depot.

ronyama

Newly Enlightened
Local Home Depot still had the 3AA LED lights for $19.97. I couldn't resist one at that price. I already had the 2AA so one goes in the car.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nah, that's country-wide. They're only stocking the 4D and 3AA MiniMags in whole lights. Unless some local store decides to get other models independently from a distributor (not likely.)

YAG said:
I must be in the wrong part of the country.

pilou

Enlightened
Brighteyez said:
I think one of the most memorable events was comparing a Fenix L1P, a Nuwai Q3, and a Dorcy 1W 123. The $20 Dorcy won out hands down. As a matter of fact I think some of the $3 Garrity lights that I got from Costco might do better than the particular L1P that I borrowed for that test (only L1P I've handled).

Drawing conclusions about whole brands based on a single model isn't usually all that helpful. And which light "wins" depends on what criteria you use. The Fenix has a coated lens glass and a HA III, whereas the Dorcy has a simple anodized body and a plastic lens. As to brightness, flashlightreviews.com lists the L1P as having a little more output, even though it runs on just an AA whereas the Dorcy uses a 123. Perhaps your L1P had a low battery or it was somehow in bad shape. Also, that particular Dorcy is probably one of their better lights whereas the L1P is not one of the best of Fenix.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for sharing your expertise. I would have never thought of such broad reaching criteria and variations that might affect performance.

Actually all of the lights were within their specs. The Dorcys just suited the intended purpose better and on average the output was more preferable for the task at hand. A very close second was a version of the Q3 (not really branded, but sold as a Nuwai.) For that particular task, the MiniMag LED would not have been in consideration.

pilou said:
Drawing conclusions about whole brands based on a single model isn't usually all that helpful. And which light "wins" depends on what criteria you use. The Fenix has a coated lens glass and a HA III, whereas the Dorcy has a simple anodized body and a plastic lens. As to brightness, flashlightreviews.com lists the L1P as having a little more output, even though it runs on just an AA whereas the Dorcy uses a 123. Perhaps your L1P had a low battery or it was somehow in bad shape. Also, that particular Dorcy is probably one of their better lights whereas the L1P is not one of the best of Fenix.

Bror Jace

Enlightened
I'll chime in here quickly, I stopped into the Clifton Park Home Despot after work today and bought a black 3AA (I would have preferred pewter) for $19.99. Price wasn't marked anywhere so I brought it up to the front and scanned it to confirm the price.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've noticed that the boxes of the MiniMag LEDs at some Home Depot stores will kind of stray away from the designated shelf at times where the price sticker has been affixed to the rack. I'm surprised that Home Depot doesn't put in price scanners like Target and most Wal*Mart stores, given that some Home Depot stores have all but switched to self-checkout only. But then I have encountered a couple of Wal*Mart stores where they've removed the price scanners.

Bror Jace said:
I'll chime in here quickly, I stopped into the Clifton Park Home Despot after work today and bought a black 3AA (I would have preferred pewter) for $19.99. Price wasn't marked anywhere so I brought it up to the front and scanned it to confirm the price.

linearintigrator

Newly Enlightened
hi All, my daughter is assistant manager at the Clermont FL. HD store. The SKU# 533476 is for the black 3-AA MagLed. Use this number when calling a HD store to check stock.

The UPC#038739530758 is the number on the light package, whether you buy it at WallyWorld, HD, or Lowes. Good Luck, dave

lumenal

Enlightened
Hmm... thats interesting... the UPC# is printed on my receipt from Home Depot for the 3AA LED Minimag... right next to the $19.97...

Bror Jace

Enlightened
I bought one black one at Home Despot for $19.97 ... then took my receipt to Lowes the next day where they matched then beat the price by 10% on two pewter ones. :D

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same thing at the Home Depot in New York City...rows and rows of the 3AA Mag-Lite LED and some of the 4D Mag-Leds.

I wonder if the Home Depot buyer is clueless...2 AA and 2 C or D would sell MUCH better. Those have to be the most popular of the regular lights...with a more efficient lamp assembly (i.e, Led), no need for the extra batts.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it's more likely a political problem ;) Mag can't make enough 2AA's to fill orders from somewhere else that has priority and so HD gets what they can get. I'm fairly sure that they will get the 2AA in at some point.

I bought a 3AA yesterday and it aint bad. The beam is a drastic improvement over previous maglights and though it doesn't push the envelope for 3W brightness it's so much brighter than any incandescent AA Mag that people will be amazed.

The construction has some mysteries. My reflector isn't very good, there are marks or bubbles in the silvering, and the LED puts enough light through the base of it that you can see the blue plastic through the partial or incomplete silvering. Candle mode is great, though you can't look at it.

I hope that the tail cap folks get busy and produce a proper clicky for it soon as I just hate not having one. It will probably go into the bottom of my bug out bag until I have a clicky for it and then I'll use it around the house some more.

mechanic in the nite

Newly Enlightened
I just picked up a 3aa minimag from hd wed. night. and tried it out at work yesterday. When I opened it up to inspect it I noticed the spring was rattling and so was the LED and when I put the batteries in, it wouldn't come on at all. I took it apart again and after playing with the spring I got it come on but it still wasn't making a good connection. Finally I bent the spring a little and got it to come on and stay on.

I've been using a fenix L2T at work (HVAC mechanic) for the past couple of months. The L2T is a fantastic light for my applications...Illuminates the vast darkness of suspended ceilings on high mode and works great for up close work in low. I have only had to change the lithium batteries once since I've had it.

So in comparison the minimag has about the same output as the Fenix on high mode though in a much bigger package. If the 3aa runtime can be compared to the 2aa runtime as tested on FLR.com; then I think the minimag might whip the Fenix on high (though the output in the Fenix is much more constant over time) but I mostly use my L2T in low mode so I'm sure I'll be changing batteries much more ofter in the Minimag.

Anyways for the price and performance (especially compared to the mini-mags of yesteryear) I think the new mini mags are nothing less than a five star beater light. I'm sure people (such as my colleages at work) who have been using nothing but incandesent mini mags will be thrilled with these latest offerings. I think the difference they will see in this new model will help them get over the sticker shock. The guys I have shown my new light to have been pretty impressed with it. Too, most ppl have lost interest in the Fenix when I tell them the price. I'm glad to see the numbers are much better on the LEDs in the mini vs mags other LED offerings as of late.

I can't wait for someone to put the 3aa on the bench and graph out it's performance for us. Like another poster here I'm waiting for the tailcap button (hopefully recessed). I am also tempted to throw some lithiums in it and see if it can take it. Has anyone else tried lithium batteries in it yet? And yes I know about the manufactuers warnings. I always learn the hard way LOL!:huh2:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think there is a supply problem, just a decision on the part of Home Depot buyers. Given that Home Depot is the nation's 2nd largest retailer behind Wal*Mart, I doubt that they would have to hang around for the spoils.

If your reflector is bubbling or flaking, you should probably take it back and exchange the light. There is missing plating on the back of the reflector that is normal, but not on the business side.

James S said:
I think it's more likely a political problem ;) Mag can't make enough 2AA's to fill orders from somewhere else that has priority and so HD gets what they can get. I'm fairly sure that they will get the 2AA in at some point.

I bought a 3AA yesterday and it aint bad. The beam is a drastic improvement over previous maglights and though it doesn't push the envelope for 3W brightness it's so much brighter than any incandescent AA Mag that people will be amazed.

The construction has some mysteries. My reflector isn't very good, there are marks or bubbles in the silvering, and the LED puts enough light through the base of it that you can see the blue plastic through the partial or incomplete silvering. Candle mode is great, though you can't look at it.

I hope that the tail cap folks get busy and produce a proper clicky for it soon as I just hate not having one. It will probably go into the bottom of my bug out bag until I have a clicky for it and then I'll use it around the house some more.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
In the interest of my fellow flashaholics...

For I am so :broke: I can't pay attention!!!

The Home Depot in Porter, TX (FM 1314) has 3AA M*gleds with 24xxx and 25xxx serial numbers on the ones I looked at. Also 4D Complete M*gleds with as near as I could tell BIG serial numbers. And lastly 4 cell Drop Ins, no 2 or 3.

3AA $19.97
4D $29.97
4 cell DI $18.97

Someday when I'm not so :broke: I'd like to do a 2C M*gled, and keep exchanging until I get a warm one!!

I guess I COULD move my ROP LE into a 2D and free up that 2C for one. But the 2 cell I have is quite cool tinted. And exchange may be tough as I know not where the reciept got off to...

Bror Jace

Enlightened
I've posted a couple times about the deal I got ... but nothing about the light itself. Oops. :ohgeez:

Build quality seems down on both the Minimags I have from 15 years ago (2 black ones) as well as a Minimag I bought 1 year ago (1 copper one). All three lights are in my avatar on the left.

I'm not sure why, the light seems lighter, with a few more rattles. The tailcap is like an old 3AAA Minimag instead of the billet-style of the 2AAs. At first I thought it might be plastic. The barrel is also likely thinner than older, incan Minimags.

Fill it full of batteries and it still has a few rattles where my older Minimags were silent ... and probably heavier (hard to compare the weight of an older 2AA to a new LED 3AA).

Like others, the reflectors on mine are a bit cheap. The back has some silvering/plating but blue plastic shows thorugh .... should be all blue or all silver if you're looking for quality/consistency. Good enough to work, for sure, but I've always expected more from Maglite.

Beam is awesome. I'll admit, I have very little experience with high-end lights ... or 3 Watts for that matter. I have a 3 watt, 2-CR123 light from DAE:

http://www.qualitychinagoods.com/3w-mxdlreg-v5-p-408.html

The Minimag's beam has a better range (from spot to flood) and a whiter tint ... and takes more common cells to boot (3 AAs are a lot cheaper than 2-CR123s). I too, am very interested in a run-time plot using various batteries in this light. :)

I bought three and will give two away as gifts. If they come out with one of these LED lights with a cluster formation of 3AAs or 4AAs I will buy others.

However, I think this is what we are going to get from Maglite in terms of 'innovation' for the next few years. All we are likely to see in the forseeable future are different colors of the lights they released in August and September. :(

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few points - no rattles in my 3AA or 2AA.

Re: thinner barrel - likely so. Comparing it to the StreamLight TAsk light, it's much thinner (but also more compact)

ProofTech

Newly Enlightened
Bror Jace said:
I too, am very interested in a run-time plot using various batteries in this light.
Run-time plots with alkaline, NiMH, and lithium can be found in the "Reviews" section of the forum.

Bror Jace

Enlightened
Thanks Prooftech, I figured someone would have done a runtime test within the first week of this light hitting the shelves.

Really etc? Both of my 3AA MagLEDs (one black, one pewter) even when filled with batteries have a rattle when I shake them. Not the slightest sound out of my 15 year old Maglite 2AA and only the slightest noise from my 1 year old 2AA (both with Nite-Ize modules ... which probably doesn't matter).

The older lights feel like solid billets of aluminum.

This is not to put down the new lights too much, just that I really appreciate it when simple things are over-engineered and have the flawless, ultra-solid feel to them. :D