MiniMag 2AA with SMJLED - runtime?

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
My SMJLED is much brighter than the stock incan. Maybe somebody has some beam shots.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Must be a boost circuit, otherwise there's no point since bare LED isn't damaged by reverse polarity.

I would like to know how much more output it gives than the bare LED version, which is dimmer than stock incan to my eyes, and very very blue.

Is there any decrease in runtime?

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are a couple of not so great ones I took several years ago with a lousy camera I had at the time. The were about 36 inches from the wall if memory serves, it was at my previous house.

Stock AAA Minimag

SMJLEDComparison3.jpg

SMJLED AAA Minimag

SMJLEDComparison4.jpg

shadowjk

Enlightened
Well the camera would make it look like that, notice that the average brightness of the entire picture isn't that high. It looks exactly like a minimag beam, with slightly off-centered bulb (I don't think I've ever seen a perfectly centered one, especially not after they've been in use for a few weeks?).

Beamshot comparisons with camera is only meaningful if you use the same aperture and exposure settings for all the shots, otherwise the camera will try to adjust so that the brightness looks the same in all shots.

BigWaffles

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to ressurect this thread but I recently purchased 2 of these SMJLED upgrades from Lighthoud.com. After putting one in my Mini-Mag with Energizer Alkalines I did a Lux test and it clocked in at 720Lux. After about 2hrs it was down to less than 100Lux. I took it out, turned it off for a few minutes and then turned it back on. It came on very bright (1920Lux) and after a few seconds droped back down to 720lux. For some reason I whacked the flashlight against the palm of my hand and the light flickered up on high for a split second and then dropped back down.

I was able to reproduce these results with 2 SMJLED modules and 2 differend Mini-Mag hosts. Does anybody have any idea what happened? Does 720Lux sound about right for these lights?

I am looking to get appx. 24hr runtime from a Mini-Mag with 2AA batteries and had hoped this would be the answer. The 2hr runtime on the initial test is a bit disappointing. Hopefully someone can shed some 'light' on this conundrum.:shrug:

C.P.T.

Burgess

Flashaholic
I can only comment on the version from Sandwich Shoppe,

which, they insist, is NOT the same as the LightHound version.

On Energizer Alkalines (# E91), not the "improved" version,

mine ran for 4 hours before dropping to 50% of its
original intensity.

But don't stop yer' test there ! ! !

This light module is un-regulated, remember ?

Even after running for 24 hours, it is STILL

about as bright as with the original Incand.bulb. (Pink band)

I measured the 24-hour level at 20% of Starting brightness.

Yet, it was STILL plenty bright and useful, :thumbsup:

roughly what the "regular lightbulb" would provide.

My samples (perhaps a dozen of 'em), never

exhibited the Blinking or Fluttering characteristic you mention.

Hope this is helpful.

_

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
After I initially install my terralux clicky with the SMJLED (puck) drop-in, I noticed this flickering/quasi-mulit mode situation. After cleaning the Sil-Glyde grease off the threads and re-lubing with copper anti seize, it went away and seems to work perfect.

Granted, this is not a user light. It sits tucked away in a gear box in case a need a long runtime, semi-bright alky/lithium/nimh compatible light. Its stored with a pair of L91's and gets checked for function every couple months.

BigWaffles

Newly Enlightened
I can only comment on the version from Sandwich Shoppe,

which, they insist, is NOT the same as the LightHound version.
_

Does anybody know the difference? Are the LightHound versions older/lower models? I might have to get one from the Sandwich Shoppe and compare.

Thanks for that tidbit.

C.P.T.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wanted to post a follow-up to this:

Possible to clean up the beam, it's full of artifacts and noticeable even not when white-wall-hunting.

Ideally, I would like to reduce throw and get a more floody lite, maybe somewhat like Nite-Ize with 5mm LEDs (All flood, no throw).

Can I get a different reflector for it?

Cydonia

Enlightened
I guess you could sputter the reflector like they do with full sized Maglite reflectors?
It's true the SMJLED beam isn't white wall hunter quality. Swapping the three 5mm LED's in a Nite Ize with some bright new Nichia DS should make a profound difference in brightness. Could it be the answer to a smooth flood with very long run time from a Mini Mag?

And finally, yes, make sure you get the Sandwiche Shoppe version of the SMJLED.

Latest posts