MiniMag 2AA with SMJLED - runtime?

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wanted to post a follow-up to this:

Possible to clean up the beam, it's full of artifacts and noticeable even not when white-wall-hunting.

Ideally, I would like to reduce throw and get a more floody lite, maybe somewhat like Nite-Ize with 5mm LEDs (All flood, no throw).

Can I get a different reflector for it?
I don't know if it will be bright enough for you but you could try it without the reflector. My minimag has the terralux 1w and it will flood a room with low level light. Try it!

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess you could sputter the reflector like they do with full sized Maglite reflectors?
It's true the SMJLED beam isn't white wall hunter quality. Swapping the three 5mm LED's in a Nite Ize with some bright new Nichia DS should make a profound difference in brightness. Could it be the answer to a smooth flood with very long run time from a Mini Mag?

And finally, yes, make sure you get the Sandwiche Shoppe version of the SMJLED.

That is a good point, I liked Nite-ize module and I can imagine that with Nichia, should be even nicer.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if it will be bright enough for you but you could try it without the reflector. My minimag has the terralux 1w and it will flood a room with low level light. Try it!

Just hard to believe there are no other reflectors for it other than smooth.

I don't need throw in it at all.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Swapping the three 5mm LED's in a Nite Ize with some bright new Nichia DS should make a profound difference in brightness. Could it be the answer to a smooth flood with very long run time from a Mini Mag?
How do you take that module apart? Looking at mine it seems like I would have to destroy it to get to the back side of the board.

One of the nice things about this drop-in is the fact that it has a nice flood-type beam. Would changing it to three Nichia LEDs change that?

Latest posts