minimag LED mod for longest distance?

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe the washer thing is with the terralux upgrades. I would try getting the terralux and using some sort of optic or a 3/4 inch acrylic ball.

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have not tried the ball with my tle-5ex. Does it really work? How much further does it extend its throw?

IRML

Newly Enlightened
I'm reading this thread: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/83903

near the top of post 5 there's some of these optics and it says the Fraen LP adds over 15ft extra distance

I don't know how much the others are, but if that flashlight review chart I linked to earlier is correct then the 3AA minimag led will be getting close to 50m throw with this fraen lp

that thread is confusing me a bit though, perhaps someone could just recommend me the best reflector and optic thing from maximum throw (as long as it doesn't make the beam ridiculously narrow - but I suppose I have the focus ability of the maglite to counter that)

also I know the LED models have a longer head, so I don't know if these new reflectors and optics will fit?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Well, the Fenix L2D-CE(review) will out throw the Minimag on high and turbo (Low mode is similar to the minimag in output). The Q5 version is also 30% brighter. It will also out throw the 3AA MagLED. Fenix Store includes shipping in their price and also have a 8% off coupon for CPF users, "CPF8".

Well, for $44 USD you can but a WF-600, 2 18650 batteries and a charger. The WF-600 should throw 100+ meters. The WF-400 would be a bit cheaper and smaller but won't throw as far(Both will out throw the L2D-CE because of their bigger reflectors, but they are also larger in size). DX takes a bit of time to ship but shipping is included in the price. There are also a bunch of other Cree/Seoul/Rebel light there. Just look for the ones getting good reviews.

The Cree XR-E P4-R2 bin, Seoul P4 U bin, and the Luxeon Rebel 100 LEDs are all at least twice as efficient as the Luxeon I, III, V and K2(Excluding the new K2s which I don't think are used in any lights yet). So for the same power, the newer LEDs will output twice the amount of light.

:welcome:

Last edited:

IRML

Newly Enlightened
Well, the Fenix L2D-CE(review) will out throw the Minimag on high and turbo (Low mode is similar to the minimag in output). The Q5 version is also 30% brighter. It will also out throw the 3AA MagLED. Fenix Store includes shipping in their price and also have a 8% off coupon for CPF users, "CPF8".

Well, for $44 USD you can but a WF-600, 2 18650 batteries and a charger. The WF-600 should throw 100+ meters. The WF-400 would be a bit cheaper and smaller but won't throw as far(Both will out throw the L2D-CE because of their bigger reflectors, but they are also larger in size). DX takes a bit of time to ship but shipping is included in the price. There are also a bunch of other Cree/Seoul/Rebel light there. Just look for the ones getting good reviews.

The Cree XR-E P4-R2 bin, Seoul P4 U bin, and the Luxeon Rebel 100 LEDs are all at least twice as efficient as the Luxeon I, III, V and K2(Excluding the new K2s which I don't think are used in any lights yet). So for the same power, the newer LEDs will output twice the amount of light.

:welcome:
wow thank you, someone pointed me to an L2T earlier but it didn't impress me too much, but this L2D seems quality

better anodizing than the mag, longer battery life, 2AAs can throw 10m farther than the 3AAs of the mag, nice clicky switch (with multiple modes) seems way better in power and options over the 3AA minimag - but in something the size of the 2AA minimag

I guess it's better than the L2T because it has one of these newer more efficient LEDs you mentioned?

I think I'm pretty much sold on this one now, thank you for pointing me in the right direction, I'll check out the other ones you mentioned too, 100m throw sounds great and it looks like good value for money also, but it's just a bit chunky for my needs

can the L2D take energiser lithiums?

IRML

Newly Enlightened
sorry one final question, I would by the L2D with smooth reflector for maximum throw and not the textured reflector?

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to EDC 3AA mini-mag for almost a year - then EDC a L2D since the summer - the latter totally dominates the minimag led. More throw, more lumens, more spill, better run time, more compact size.

I do like however the twistie as definitely more reliable.

I would recommend Fenix textured, not smooth refl. as you would get much more useful spill IMO. I used to like smooth ones until I saw this one.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The L2D head can take 1.5-3.2v so 2 Lithium AAs should be fine(The same as the P2D and L1D head so you can get a 1 CR123 or a 1 AA battery tube).

Either reflector will work. Presuming the same output, the textured one will have a tiny bit less throw but have a smoother beam. Realistically, it's not much of a difference.

The newer L2T V2.0(Rebel 80) is twice as bright as the L2T Luxeon III version and is simpler to use(though some find the more modes of the L2D to be more flexible).

IRML

Newly Enlightened
well the premium Q5 one doesn't have a choice between textured and smooth like the regular one, at least not on fenix store, so I don't have to worry about it :grin2:

I've ordered it now, I hope it comes soon, totalled about £28 with that CPF discount (cheaper than a 2AA LED minimag would be if I bought it in the UK!)

thanks for all the help guys, I wouldn't have know what to look for without it

Latest posts