MiniMag-V

the_beast

Newly Enlightened
I've never used a LuxV in anything - do I NEED to isolate the slug from the cathode? I know the datasheet says that I do but I've heard of people running the Lux3 without proper isolation when only running a single LED. I don't see how the LuxV dies (dice?) cannot be isolated from the slug as there are 4 of them in series-parallel anyway.

If I don't need to keep the slug isolated from the body of the flashlight then designing a solid copper heat sink will be trivial. At 350ma I'll only be running the Lux at around 2W, so it should manage fairly long runtimes if it is held constantly. I might switch to a simple resistor in the tail or try and find a low side regulator that I can fit in the tail to keep the solid mass as large as possible in the head.

the_beast

Newly Enlightened
Never mind - just read the thread about slug isolation that has been bumped to the top. Guess I need to get creative with my sink design to keep it isolated and as good a thermal path as possible.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
when driving as low as you are considering.. you don't have to be very worried at all about heat sinking.. just that it is there, not that it is overly good. using a thermal epoxy to bond the emitter to the heatsink will isolate electrically and all you need and it works like 'the bomb'.

-awr

Latest posts