Modded a Dorcy AAA w/ a Lux3 today

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Justintoxicated said:
Is this for the single aaa dorcy light?

Do you have any pictures?

Will this light go nicely on a key chain?

Is it really necessary to HS a lux III at 100ma??????

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this is the Single LED, Single AAA Dorcy. I'd consider it a keychain light as much as the stock unit.

Pictures? You want pictures? Well, the one eyed monster looks like this. A 1/2 ball rests on the gold bezel behind it.
dorcyfull1.jpg

In this next shot, guess which one's the modified unit?

dorcyfight1.jpg

Right! The anemic blue on the left is stock, the warmer white is the luxeon. These, by the way, are close to true color.

This is a closeup of the LS mounting. It does not need any heat-sinking at 100 ma or less per the lumileds data sheets. I can remove it to reuse the board or the luxeon.
dorcymod1.jpg

All in all, I'm satisfied. I should be able to get several hours of good light off a single AAA. The luxeon was a spare that looked terrible in my SF L1. It was sort of blue-purple tint at full power. It looks pretty good here.

But that's just my opinion.

Daniel

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
With that ball optic in there, wow, looks cool. HEY. where did you get a BLACK one?????????
Jeff

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow nice pictures, I like to look of the 1/2 ball actually...

I want to try this mod, just need to find a dorcy I guess, It does nto look that complicated, but I guess I really can't be sure untill I try it myself.

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
just a late throw in on this. I got the batteries, and a 1/3AAA is 1/2 the size of a AAA. this is good. Two of the 1/3's fill the battery space (had to pull the springs a bit). I havent fully checked the runtime yet, but it is pretty good so far (at least 20min). head gets warm after about 4mins. I used JB kwik to make the board fit snuggly in the casing to provide some thermal transfer. Best of all, when the 1/3's go dead, I can just drop in a single AAA no problem
Jeff

Latest posts