Modern-Day "Big Jim" replacement.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a box full of "Dolphins" and "Big Jims" with a plethora of parts from all sorts of obsolete models.

I must say that as far a their use for lighting is concerned I recon I have single AAA's that put out more light for longer LOL ;)

Really there are just so many better lights at my disposal I am really pressed to even spend the money on purchasing any 6v batts nowadays. But that said I also have a box full of "Fulton Angle Heads" that I thought I would never use again and now I have various mods happening on them so who knows what may become available for all those "Dolphins". The best feature about the "Dolphin" was its totally waterproof and almost idiot proof. I would have thought someone would have made a commercially available LED upgrade for the "Dolphin" by now.

As for the "Big Jims", I have modded a couple of them to run off various batt sources over the years but for the effort they put out limited light for an animal of their size (Great in there day but just nostalgia item today).

Unfortunatly here in Australia these are still the "torches" that many unenlightened measure others by.

I think the Dolphin switch reverses bulb polarity every time you switch it. It goes back and forth from "forward clicky" to "reverse clicky", certainly. I'm not going to risk my only LED conversion on science like that until I can afford another.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'd love to get my hands on Dolphin, here in the states we have something like that, but even from pics, i see it isn't as well (may be just an optical illusion) made as Australian version,
i modded us version cut off reflector and installed 230lm cree r2 drop in, and 12 red leds, it still works on 4f 6v battery.

i don't have 2 of them, modded and not, to compare, but from what i remember how inc. worked, cree is a huge improvement over stock inc. bulb.
P1050771.jpg

broadgage

Enlightened
The the old 8 cell , 6volt screw terminal lantern batteries are expensive and do seem to sit on the shelves a tad bit too long in some hardware stores . They do move alot faster in farm supply stores , though .

The 4 cell , 6 volt spring tops are much more plentiful , available at many gas stations , various 'marts and such and sell at a much larger volume . That is why we designed the battery box for our sealed beam lanterns .

The box is partitioned to hold either 1 or 2 6v spring top lantern batteries or 1 or 2 of the 4D replacement adapters

Of course , our "nostalgia items" also will run on the 6v screw terminal batteries , thus protecting the light itself from leaking batteries , just as Burgess intended , when we invented the separate lantern/battery concept in the early 50's ...

dave

Do I understand from the above that the original type of lantern is still available ? The one that uses the 8F screw terminal battery ?
Some used a 4.7 volt 0.5 amp sealed beam lamp, and others used a screw base flashlight bulb.
I have viewed the website linked to in the above post, but could not see any prices or details of how to order.

The sealed beam lamps are still available, and perhaps suprisingly, the 8F batteries.

Last edited:

Muscat

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone. I too am looking for something to replace an old modified Big Jim torch. SO rather than start a new thread I thought I'd post here.

About 25 years ago I modified a Big Jim for my folks to have a Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) battery so solve the problem of the thing chewing through batteries and always being flat when ever you went to use it. It has worked well for a couple of decades. I think I replaced the SLA about 10 years ago. Now the battery is showing signs it's on the way out, so I either need to fit a new SLA or find a modern equivalent.

Now I know that many small LED torches can smoke this thing, but it cannot be beat for being able to place it on the ground and aim the beam to anything you are wanting illuminated - so that is what I am after.

Size and weight aren't that important, although the 50000000000 gazillion searchlights I have seen about with a 10" reflector are probably a bit much for my now ageing, widowed mother.

So, can anyone recommend something that will always be ready to use (SLA?) that can be plugged in to charge (don't want to bother with swapping out rechargeable batteries), has a pretty decent spread/throw, and can be placed on the ground and the beam tilted around to where it is needed?

Thank you.

Geoff.

Raze

Enlightened
Hi everyone. I too am looking for something to replace an old modified Big Jim torch. SO rather than start a new thread I thought I'd post here.

About 25 years ago I modified a Big Jim for my folks to have a Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) battery so solve the problem of the thing chewing through batteries and always being flat when ever you went to use it. It has worked well for a couple of decades. I think I replaced the SLA about 10 years ago. Now the battery is showing signs it's on the way out, so I either need to fit a new SLA or find a modern equivalent.

Now I know that many small LED torches can smoke this thing, but it cannot be beat for being able to place it on the ground and aim the beam to anything you are wanting illuminated - so that is what I am after.

Size and weight aren't that important, although the 50000000000 gazillion searchlights I have seen about with a 10" reflector are probably a bit much for my now ageing, widowed mother.

So, can anyone recommend something that will always be ready to use (SLA?) that can be plugged in to charge (don't want to bother with swapping out rechargeable batteries), has a pretty decent spread/throw, and can be placed on the ground and the beam tilted around to where it is needed?

Thank you.

Geoff.

Hi Geoff. Streamlight has a few lantern models.

And also the Pelican 9410 Rechargeable LED lantern.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunatly here in Australia these are still the "torches" that many unenlightened measure others by.
I may have had a discussion with a friend's dad about his big Jim flashlight.
he saw my similar sized light, sitting on the back seat of my car, saw the tape holding the battery box together.
made a comment about his Big Jim being incredible "they dont make them like this anymore, blah blah, it's so bright"
so I asked him to show me how good the big Jim was - it was actually pretty bright, for an older light.
i then let him fire up the Maxabeam - he may have been a little amazed at how far flashlight technology has come.

Mr Whippy

Newly Enlightened
40 years ago I purchased a Big Jim, Turfed out many years latter as batteries were too expensive. (Wish now, like a lot of thing that I had kept it)

Now to the OP

The restrictions are:
1 The Throw must at least match the "Big Jim".
It has been a long time since I have seen a Big Jim but I reckon my Fenix TK 75 would eat it
Only last night I tried it out against my cars high beam. At about 800 metres with the car illuminating a sign, the Fenix made the sign brighter.

2. Build Quality must at least match the classic Eveready lights above.
Not even a contest IMO.

3. Battery life must at least approach that of the "Big Jim"
Quality18650's I have been told will last for years. A BJ battery after a few hours goes in the bin.

Notwithstanding the above, the cheaper the better.
Comparing what the BJ cost 40 years ago, in todays dollars the Feniz would probably be cheaper.

Dave.

Last edited:

jrmcferren

Enlightened
I know this thread is 10 years old, but I have been looking into lights like the Big Jim recently myself. There are a few lights out there.

Here are the specifications one by one:

1. The Throw must at least match the "Big Jim".
    1. Big Beam's Lights Use the same or more powerful sealed beam lamps depending on the model. The Model 266 and 666 likely exceed. The Ray-O-Vac Industrial 301K should be similar to the Dolphin as it uses the same KPR113 lamp.
  2. Build Quality must at least match the classic Eveready lights above.
    1. Big Beam 166 and 266 should exceed. Big Beam 666 should be similar. The Ray-O-Vac has plastic and rubber components.
  3. Any technology you can name is OK. Nothing ruled out.
    1. Tech is similar, the biggest advantage is the availability of Alkaline batteries in some types and the ability to use the more common spring type batteries in some lanterns.
  4. Battery life must at least approach that of the "Big Jim"
    (that should sort out the wheat from the chaff)
    1. Not sure what the Big Jim was like back in the day, but comparing current levels, the Big Beam 166 should match or be slightly short on ALKALINE batteries. The big beam 266 I'm not sure of, but Alkaline should get you close. Big Beam 666 will run you short unless you swap out to the lower powered lamp which should match. The Ray-O-Van will run short.
  5. Notwithstanding the above, the cheaper the better.
    1. The Big beams can be had on eBay, they are a bit tricky to find new. The Ray-O-Vac is rather easy to find and so is the lamp (same as the cheap 6 volt plastic lanterns) with the disadvantage of needing to find the 918 (4R25-2) Battery.

Here's the line up:

Big Beam 166: Big Jim Sealed beam lamp with a metal enclosed compartment for a 6V spring type (4R25 or 4LR25) battery.
Big Beam 266: Higher powered Sealed beam lamp (Triple Current) with enclosed battery compartment for two 6V spring type batteries in Parallel.
Big Beam 666: Same lamp as 266 with the large screw terminal battery (4R25-2)
Ray-O-Vac 301k: KPR113 lamp with large battery.

Now, this is where the big beam 166 and 266 get the advantage. These take the spring terminal type which is available in Alkaline (4LR25 instead of 4R25). The screw terminal Alkaline type (4LR25-2) has been discontinued.