Modifying a Panasonic EY3793 lantern?

alanz

Newly Enlightened
Ok, this might be an easy one for the group... or maybe a first.

I have a Panasonic EY3793 lantern head for the 15.6 volt NIMH battery packs that came with my Panasonic cordless screwdriver.

Considering that I keep both of the packs charged all the time, it made some sense to have an alternate use for the packs, and the lantern seemed like a good idea at the time. I got a good buy on the head ($29, last one in stock at a Woodworkers Warehouse store), otherwise I couldn't justify paying full price for this item.

The problem is that it has a pretty miserable beam. The bulb is a National Xenon Bulb (7.2V, 0.75A) in a cheap plastic 3" reflector. The beam is very very narrow, with a pretty long throw. At the PF2 in NJ last night, I took it out to the Black Hole of Califon, where the light was dutifully consumed by the darkness.

Considering that I have a 15.6 volt battery power source, can anyone thing of another bulb or reflector combination that might be worth considering? I haven't taken the head apart... but I'd imagine that there is something in the switching mechanism that's stepping the voltage down to 7.2 for the bulb.

Any suggestions? Should I be fussing with this at all? It might be nice to use this as my first "Mod".

Thanks in advance

ey3793b.jpg

Panasonic lantern web page

Snewt1

Newly Enlightened
Bypass the regulation circuit, go direct drive to a 20W halogen ($4 at the Depot). You will need a base to put the bulb in...or CAREFULLY solder to the pins. When you put the bulb in, adjust it back and forth until you get the focus you want, for a spot, you should get very good throw. This is the cheapest mod I know of.

Latest posts