• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired ::More Available!!:: 8-16-07:: Coast Focusing Lenser w/Seoul P4 $69 Shipped!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Coast Focusing Lenser w/Seoul P4 $69 Shipped!

Oh shoot it is.....sorry about that!

That charger looks good...says it's an independent channel charger, that's what you want when you're charging 3 batteries at a time. Some chargers only allow you to charge either 2 or 4 at a time...you don't want that.

Troglodyte

Newly Enlightened

In post 13 it was stated that the current varried from 550ma to 1000 ma. Could the extra resistance of the 550ma light be causing the heat? Could the lack of extra resistance on the 1000ma light cause the LED to heat up more due to higher current flow?

Trog

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast

There was a follow up post that stated the variance was much less dramatic with the SSC emitters.

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, some of my Powerizer 750s are new, but I haven't picked up anything better than those. I know someone with new Energizers, and as soon as I can I'm going to borrow a few and check them out.

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ahh...good deal. If you or your friend happen to have a multimeter, you can do a current check. You may already know how to do it, but if not, you set up the meter by putting the dial on the amp (A) scale, and you typically have to move the red lead to the fused socket hole..it may say something like 10A max, fused...of course the black lead stays in the negative (ground) socket. Take the tailcap off of the light, touch one lead to the center of the battery carrier (at the end, gold plated), touch the other lead to larger ring of gold plating around the end of the carrier. The light should come on, and the meter should read the current draw from the batteries. I'm curious to see what kind of current the Powerizers are delivering. Well, gotta go do some yardwork. :rant:

Last edited:

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast

I used this thing last night on my bike and it works great as a bike light. The focusing is very practical in this application, the only downside would be the somewhat limited runtime and battery changing hassles for longer rides.

mikeyx

Enlightened

FlashCrazy,

I received the light on Saturday and was more than pleasantly surprised. Just let me echo what several others have said. Great build quality ! Crazy bright ! My new "go-to" light ! And a very nice job of modding !

Thanks,
Mike

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast

dammitjim said:
I used this thing last night on my bike and it works great as a bike light. The focusing is very practical in this application, the only downside would be the somewhat limited runtime and battery changing hassles for longer rides.

Now there's a use I didn't think of! Poor cars driving by...hope you didn't blind anyone! :grin2:

Yeah, it'd be nice if the light had more runtime than the ~1 hour that it has. I wish Coast would make basically the same light in a 3 x AA format or even a 2C.

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast

mikeyx said:
FlashCrazy,

I received the light on Saturday and was more than pleasantly surprised. Just let me echo what several others have said. Great build quality ! Crazy bright ! My new "go-to" light ! And a very nice job of modding !

Thanks,
Mike

Thanks Mike! It's also my "go-to" light for back yard duties. But for "waking up to strange noises in the middle of the night" duties, I keep a non-modded one next to the bed...because the modded one it just too bright.

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm thinking of doing another run of these lights. At first I was hesitant, because they're sort of a pain in the butt to do. Everyone seems to be really happy with them though, so I might order more hosts to modify. Anyone else interested?...and for those that previously expressed interest but didn't make it in on the first run, do you still want one?

Last edited:

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi, FlashCrazy.

Glad you're considering another run. Please put me down for one if you do.

Thanks.

Last edited:

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast

Initial impressions vs the D-Mini:

- D-Mini is alot shorter
- Finish seems about equal quality, though I like the shape of the Coast better
- I really like the Coast's button. It's a nice change vs the typical rubber button
- D-Mini's 2 levels are nice, it would be cool if there was a 2 level mod for the Coast

The beams are wildly different. The D-Mini defanitly has better throw in it's hotspot, but it's hotspot is about 1/6th of the Coast's. The D-Mini has your typical hotspot with flood beam, where the Coast has a giant hotspot with very little flood. It is a tight beam compared to most lights.

Though the D-Mini had more throw than the Coast, I had a hard time finding a spot where that much throw was needed while wandering around outside my house (typical neighborhood). The distances I was throwing the Coast was able to handle just fine and produced a larger spot than the D-Mini. I want to try them out at an open field nearby, but didn't have a chance last night.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast

dammitjim,

Thank you for the comparison---very helpful. I don't own a D-mini but I do have an M1, and I think the throw/beam characteristics are fairly similar.

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast

AFAustin said:
Hi, FlashCrazy.

Glad you're considering another run. Please put me down for one if you do.

Thanks.

You're on the list, thanks AFAustin!

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast

Would this light run ok with a single AAA sized li-ion cell and two dummy AAAs? Just curious since I've already got the Nano charger and some Draco batteries...

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast

dammitjim said:
Would this light run ok with a single AAA sized li-ion cell and two dummy AAAs? Just curious since I've already got the Nano charger and some Draco batteries...

Hmm...good question. I don't see why it wouldn't work, but I wouldn't recommend it just for the fact that the little AAA Li-ion might be worked too hard. The current draw is likely more than 2C, and that's not good for the battery...safety-wise or reliability-wise.

Interesting though, that's something I'd like to test.

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmm, it would be nice if it could work since battery changes would be less of a hassle. Also, if someone was really cleaver they could mod the battery holder so that one or two of the slots was not used, and then you'd have on-board spare batteries... I'm not that clever though.

Any info you can come up with on using a AAA (10440?) li-ion in these would be very interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.