Mr. Buddy Portable Heater

raggie33

*the raggedier*
This 1
1000000140.jpg

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using the Buddy heater with 20lb tanks for more than a year. Just added the Big Buddy.
Care needs to be taken choosing the propane used.
I have had 20lb "dirty gas" previously that caused yellowing and spots on the burner.
They do recommend the inline filter be used.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
BTW, I figured out an easy trick to get much more use from those "inline filters" (actually traps/accumulators):

Interestingly, they do retain pressure by themselves. This feature can be used to purge a significant amount of the residues they gradually accumulate. After a number of sessions of use (and subsequent storage while maintaining their typical orientation), simply depress the spring-loaded nipple when the associated stem is pointing down. The small amount of pressurized propane blasts out the majority of captured residue downwards. As a proof, do it over a sheet of cardboard; once the residual propane and/or water evaporates off, you can see other liquid residues persist on/in the sheet of cardboard.

Last edited:

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see they are advertised in the December ACE hardware sale flyer. Not sure whether the advertised price of $89.99 is a special sale price, or the regular price, it doesn't say in the ad. I haven't comparison shopped it yet, is that a good price?

devynosborne

Newly Enlightened
Any suggestions?
For a few years, I've been fighting an intermittent issue of the flame not staying lit on one or more of my Little Buddy's.

After trying all the cleaning tips, and just as I was about to throw at least one of them out, I found this video.

It's the simplest solution, but it solved my issue: open the propane valve *very slowly*. If you open it "fast", or what I consider normal, it triggers a safety inside the unit which shuts off the supply once you turn the knob to low or high (it allows the pilot operation).

I know you said the flame isn't blue (which mine was, as is the one in the video), so this might not be the solve for you, but maybe it'll help. Or hopefully it can help someone else here.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
The larger home retailer's, Like Home Depot, offer the best consistent prices.
On average they try to undercut their comparative local retailers with their larger stock orders.
I would spend the extra $10 savings to help support a local business.

ghostguy6

Enlightened
It might be against your local fire codes and ordinances.
I know it is against DOT regulations to transport a refilled 1 lbs cylinder. Same thing here in Canukistan. That's how they get away with selling those refill adapters, its legal to own you just cant use it for anything practical. How many people actually use those bottles strictly at their own home.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I actually bought one of those refill kits, but have little interest in using it at present. The relatively small 5lb refillable tanks are reasonably handy, and more convenient overall IMO due to their ease of refilling at a local propane facility - although it's good to have a couple of the 1lb cans handy, of course. In an emergency I could probably start refilling them if I had to, so I save the empties for now.

devynosborne

Newly Enlightened
Does the hose have an inline filter? If not, a filter is still recommended.
That's what I thought at first, but the heater manual notes, "Or use F273704 Buddy series hose. Fuel filter not required."

The F273704 hose product page says it's made from "specially designed material eliminates need for fuel filter".

That said, perhaps real-world experience would recommend a filter, though I haven't had any trouble myself.

vincent3685

Newly Enlightened
Makes no sense to me, but OK. I see nothing in that hose which would provide filtration.
I just asked Mr. Heater what makes this hose not need a filter. Here is their reply;
Hello! Normally, high pressure propane going through the hose pulls oil out of the rubber and can leave it in the heater. The F273704 is made from a different kind of rubber, which doesn't use that oil.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I just asked Mr. Heater what makes this hose not need a filter. Here is their reply;
Hello! Normally, high pressure propane going through the hose pulls oil out of the rubber and can leave it in the heater. The F273704 is made from a different kind of rubber, which doesn't use that oil.
Good to know. Thanks for the follow-up.