MRV SSC P7s. Lots of different SSC P7 beamshots!

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
My SSC P7 MRV. The sweetest light I own at the moment...

The OP reflector is provided by CPF user Flic. I did the actual modding a few months ago and had to wait to find an OP reflector.

MRVssc1.jpg

MRVssc5.jpg

MRVssc2.jpg

MRVssc3.jpg

MRVssc6.jpg

MRVssc7.jpg

It is powered by one of those AMC7135 based sandwiches that I make for my 18650 SSC P7 builds. One 1000 mA five mode multimode driver with a 1400 mA slave board.

TiabloSSCp7Driver1.jpg

TiabloSSCp7Driver2.jpg

I take the driver out by removing the plastic cover over the led, then insert a small screwdriver down into the holes for the emitter, find the ledge formed by the brass contact ring around the driver and tap it out (remember to remove the plastic cover that protects the driver in the heatsink, it screws out with tweezers). The star can sometimes be tapped out from the underside if it partly covers a hole, otherwise just twist it out wit a pair of pliers.

Glueing the P7 in place with AA epoxy, centering it with the bored out reflector before the epoxy cures.

modmrvsscp7_1.jpg

The new driver sandwich with it's brass contact ring hammered down into it's place in the heatsink. This can be tricky. You can see that I used the little spring from the original driver for holding the brass contact button that goes into the plastic cover that screws down into the heatsink.

modmrvsscp7_2.jpg

modmrvsscp7_3.jpg

Runtime on high is exceptional on one small AW 18650 LiION cell.

MRVsscP7runtime1x.jpg

Beamshots are in the process of being made...

Stefan

Last edited:

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: MRV SSC P7s by SFSS

Self explanatory this post is... I deemed beamshots of longer distances than ~100 meters useless, due to the present conditions with a bright sky at 1 am.

Camera settings are daylight, 6 seconds, ISO 100. Manual focus.

hus95m.jpg

hus95mComp1.jpg

hus95mComp2.jpg

hus95m1.jpg

hus95m2.jpg

hus95m3.jpg

hus95m4.jpg

hus95m5.jpg

hus95m6.jpg

A challenging location, the black water absorb much of the spill light. It makes the 'not on the ground' spill light more visible.

Karret70m.jpg

Karret70mComp1.jpg

Karret70mComp2.jpg

Karret70m1.jpg

Karret70m2.jpg

Karret70m3.jpg

Karret70m4.jpg

Karret70m5.jpg

Karret70m6.jpg

Third set added 2008-07-13.

I decided to include a third set that I earlier had decided to leave out. It does show the difference in intensity clearly. Shot the same night as the other two sets.

A small clearing. Pic of the place is taken last fall, target to the left at 35 meters.

angen35m.jpg

angen35mComp1.jpg

angen35mComp2.jpg

angen35m1.jpg

angen35m2.jpg

angen35m3.jpg

angen35m4.jpg

angen35m5.jpg

angen35m6.jpg

And a nice flower.

MRVsscBlomma.jpg

Last edited:

addictedmatt

Enlightened

Very nice. You always have the best beamshots, I can't wait to see them. PS, Your beamshots inspired me to buy a tiablo a9 q5. :twothumbs

Cookie Monster

Newly Enlightened

Nice work!
Could you post a comparison beam shot of the pre mod and the post mod reflector?

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice work!
Could you post a comparison beam shot of the pre mod and the post mod reflector?

As it happens I do have one 'pristine' Q5'ed, digital MRV left. I need to wait a bit as it is pouring down here. In 48 hours (at the most) there will be beamshots!

Stefan

KRS1

Newly Enlightened

Nice to see you are working on this. I planned to mod MRV with p7 awhile back but spend all money on alcohols and girls :mecry:

Cant wait to see some outdoor beam shot comparison :grin2:

Nick

Cookie Monster

Newly Enlightened

Nice to see you are working on this. I planned to mod MRV with p7 awhile back but spend all money on alcohols and girls :mecry:

Cant wait to see some outdoor beam shot comparison :grin2:

Nick

Well, if I had more money I'd spend it on more booze and girls too! :naughty:

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast

Love the polish job
Do tell about your unique name tag

cat

Enlightened

Reserved.

In wait for the promised beamshots; a flower.

wow, beautiful. :) Beautiful photo. I like the ground-cover stuff too. :)

I thought it was the Tiablo that you had found to be the best host, but now you're doing MRVs.....?

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast

nein166,

the plaque is ordinary 1.5 mm brass sheeting. I engraved it and filled it with enamel and then polished it. The 'light engines' on the MRV is brass underneath the copper and nickel plating.

Cat,
the MRV is actually a little better because of better thermal transfer. It does require an OP reflector. Beam pattern is very similar to the Tiablo, spill is bigger though.

It simply won't stop raining here, so I can't take any beamshots right now.

Stefan

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice mod, Stephan. That runtime graph looks great too!

I planned to mod MRV with p7 awhile back but spend all money on alcohols and girls :mecry:

I spent most of my money on booze, women, fast cars, and flashlights... the rest I wasted. :devil:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, the MRV does very well with a P7. So the big question is, why the heck isn't Lumapower making these?
:popcorn:
It's like they're saying, "no PhantomPhoton, we don't want your money" :mecry:

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, the MRV does very well with a P7. So the big question is, why the heck isn't Lumapower making these?
:popcorn:
It's like they're saying, "no PhantomPhoton, we don't want your money" :mecry:

Because it's difficult and expensive right now as it's a 'newish' emitter. You also need to find a really good driver for it. The drivers I use take time to modify. The LumaPower MRV OP reflector is very well suited to take advantage of the P7, but it's floodier with a bright center. It's good for distances upp to ~150 meters (maybe more) in dark conditions. You don't even have to sand the reflector, it's a straight swap after you open up the reflector hole to 9-10 mm with a tapered reamer et al. A very sweet light, it lights up a sports stadium!
Stefan

alantch

Enlightened
The OP relectors seem to be doing a better job overall with a good balance of spill and spot. And the MAG 4D is just awesome! Great beamshots!

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stefan, not to draw the thread off-topic, but is that wire high-temp teflon coated? If so, where do you get it?

coors

Enlightened
You've really got me thinking about trying to modify my MRV-clone like this. The beam looks much more useful, to me, than the narrow beam of the Raidfire (or other narrow beams from throwers). If I had the confidence that I could make your 2.4a driver I'd jump right in, but I don't. Thanks for sharing this great info!

coors