Mt First Creation: Steroid 4 Dive Light Tested 445ft - Finally Finished

Amonra

Enlightened
Re: Mt First Creation: A Dive Light ( Yet Un-named )

Longjohn: dunno about scubasun, maybe scubastar but dunno if that name has been taken

Slinco: Thanks

McGizmo: my mistake i thought U bin was speced at 120 Lum. ok so it's about 100 Lum avarage @ 700mA so if i drive them at around 800 - 850 mA i would at least expect 110 - 115 Lum ? so that's about 460 Lumens. about 10% - 15% optical losses leaves me with about 400 - 415 Lumens. Keeping it cool should not be a problem firstly due to the large mass of aluminum ( 750 Grams ). the heatsink is not a seperate part which has been glued to the body but it is the body itself as the entire light ( except for the tailcap and flange ) has been machined out of a solid aluminum rod. so heat should travel throughout the entire body with no bottlenecks except for the one between the LED itself and the body. Secondly it will be surrounded by moving water which should cool it down considerably. so i guess it should run nice and cool.
500 Lumens was very optimistic but i'm hoping output should come close to the UK Lightcannon which is my main aim, but smaller, sturdier, longer lasting and most importantly cheaper. When the K2's are available i guess 500 Lumens will not be out of reach though.

Mobile1: thanks, i will within a few weeks.

Tranquilitybase: Thanks a lot, it has a lot of character then hehe

Chesterqw: well aluminum cost me about $30, S/S fittings about $12, the glass about $13 and about 25 hours of work. dunno about thick O dive, it's kind of long.

Amonra

Enlightened

No dive testing today :( unfortunately the sea is a bit too choppy for my friend's small boat. the P1 international powerboat championship will still be held though so i guess ill be watching in envy.

barnabe

Newly Enlightened

It's a very nice work (Are you sure it is your first flashlight creation? :)). I like the form factor.

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast

25hours...OMG...

well anyway, thick o dive isn't a really good name, so i got another one: steriods. well, can't blame me, the glass lens is so thick, so is the metal. and it is HID!.

Amonra

Enlightened

barnabe: thanks. it is my first, so far.....

Chesterqw: what's OMG ? Steroid 4.....hmmm.....i kind of like that one. i think im gonna stick to that. Thanks for the suggestion chester. Btw it is not HID, it will use 4xUbin Lux3's

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Amonra said:
HarryN: I'm not planning on diving anywhere close to 200meters, the max i dive is 50meters but it gives me peace of mind knowing that it survived 200 or maybe more ?. basically im making sure that it will definately not flood at 50m besides, i like to overengineer, just to make sure. What's a quad ring ?

Kryosphinx: i thought it had less/weaker spill and more throw, well i have never tried the 27mm's so i can't really say but i still really like the 20mm's

Hi - now that I mentioned it, I cannot find it in a link. It is basically an o ring but the cross section looks more like a + sign - rounded out of course. I am not sure of the advantages or not. Your design looks pretty good to me.

Just for fun, I will try to get a pic of that old Ikelite and see if I can post it. Great project BTW.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast

WOW! You made that? I'd love to be able to do something like that! AWESOME!

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Mt First Creation: A Dive Light, Name Found : Steroid 4

Ok, so your project also gave me a geography lesson - now I know where Malta is. :) Funny thing - I googled it, and the first listing up - the CIA info package on Malta.

Looks like a neat place with lots of dive locations. I have a business trip to Europe planned for August, but I think the closest I will get is Berlin - not so much diving there. :grin2:

Amonra

Enlightened

Kdog3: Thanks

PEU: That's an honour coming from the creator of the Neoca series

HarryN: im happy to be serving my country by letting people know of it's existance :)

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast

OMG is an 'shortform' for oh my god

dang...my minds was on sleep mode when i type that thing out... wonder what made me type HID down when i obviously knew it was a luxeon driven...

Amonra

Enlightened

now i just need to find a reasonably priced machinist to maybe start a small run of these if there is any interest ? .......after i have tested it that is.

Pila_Power

Enlightened

You got interest here My Maltese Magician!!

:)

We're buying a nice boat due to be delivered in a few months and don't yet have any dive lights or any waterproof/resistant lights at all.

I'd be happy to own a CPF piece of art. :)

PM me when you're close to taking orders please!!

Cheers,

Tim.

Amonra

Enlightened

That's too much praise Pila power :) but thanks.
a boat is nice, just make sure you do not drop the steroid in the boat or you might end up with a hole hehe.
ill inform you if it happens.

P.S. you don't have Maltese descendants do you ?

Pila_Power

Enlightened

No decendants I don't think... I hail from a few convicts... actually I wish I did. I thik I'm a decendant from Cornwall in Sunny England.

Naah, you made something from scratch - that's mega-cool man!! Take your kudos.

:)

Tim.

OddBall

Newly Enlightened

Hey Amon, it's Pila at home here.

I was thinking, dya reckon your dive light could be adapted with a couple of side fins to assist reducing the weight in the water...say if I was fishing and wanted to transmit a live image of what's going on down near my bait and needed a light to see by...

You get where I'm going with this? :)

I think it'd be way cool if your light was able to fit in a miniature transmitter and was powered off the same batts as the lights...along with a tiny low light camera!

I sell all the transmission stuff and cameras etc, I'd just need a deep water light source - probably up to 100, 150 meters max.

Maybe more of a bullet shape on the ends...

mmmm deep sea-life footage... :)

Amonra

Enlightened

I dont know what exactly you mean with the fins but i guess you would want it to sink to be able to get down there. plus i think it should be heavy so that it would not be too effected by water currents. i guess that a flood type beam would be best for video ( so no reflector ) and some green light would attract fish too.

so here's what i think would be the best solution for this: a single white 5W Lux with no reflector ( or maybe a wide beam reflector matching the viewing angle of the camera) and another green one with a narrow beam reflector ( so it does not affect the tint too much ) and the camera instead of the other two LED's. The only problem i can see is the switch as it has to have at least two switches which makes kind of hard to do otherwise one switch that turns everything on at once.

as for fitting the transmittor and powering everything from the same batteries, it depends on the size of the transmitter and the voltages required by the camera and transmitter.

if not everything fits i guess i can custom make one in which everything will fit. What do you think ?

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hello Amonra:)

What's about the diving test? Did it works fine?

Best regards

____
Tom

Amonra

Enlightened

i did not test it yet due to rough seas. i will try again next sunday.

Pila_Power

Enlightened

Hey it sounds cool!! Expensive, but cool! :)

With the fins, I was thinking of a fish or dolphin with two stabiliser fins on either side to prevent spiral rolls as the camera will need to kinda stay up the right way. There would need to be some sort of line feed, say a ring or tube that the line is fed through.

Hmm might be a bit over the top... I just thought of getting snagged and losing the light altogether... eek!

Back to the thinking stage for me. :)