• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Must Read & Agree, Warranty, Lumen & Lux #s, DriverVN2, PDT, Insurance

koti

Enlightened
Re: Vinhnguyen54 General Info Must Read

Yes. 4-5 year old niece shine a D25Cvn V3 SL edition in her eyes and she cried afterwards as it hurted her eyes for quite a while. 100% my fault. Left the light on the couch.

The good thing is that now she's probably scared and won't do it again.

H.J.M.

Newly Enlightened

Is it possible to increase the water resistance and durability of flashlights? Boosting is great, but can you make it a hammer too?

i know the high powered lights get hot, will get hotter if they are sealed up any more. I am wondering about the basic ones: olight S15 Baton, Fenix e series lights. Are there better o-rings available to upgrade the factory ones?

if I send in or buy a flashlight, is it possible to make it more durable? Like surviving 10ft falls many times. I drop my flashlight a lot.
(I know lenses will scratch)

What do people use to find their flashlights in the dark?.. I can't afford shiny (Ss, Ti, cu) for a while. Black lights get lost in the dark very fast when not on. Reflector stickers don't stick to the knurling, a glow ring helps it roll off the table 10x faster. Suggestion from a Guru will be used gratefully.

cheers

Joe

ven

Flashaholic

Vinh beefs up the internals,be it thicker wires ,better solder,to better heat sinking etc etc so a lot better than out of the factory. Other options are to have it potted if possible,could argue though if it does break then it cant be fixed as sealed in..........But it will make it fully water proof.

Finding a flashlight in the dark..........thats easy,use your edc light to find it:);) Some do use GITD(Glow In The Dark)tape on their lights. Could use GITD rubber bands wrapped around too:)

You will still need a guru to answer yet :laughing:

H.J.M.

Newly Enlightened

Vinh beefs up the internals,be it thicker wires ,better solder,to better heat sinking etc etc so a lot better than out of the factory. Other options are to have it potted if possible,could argue though if it does break then it cant be fixed as sealed in..........But it will make it fully water proof.

Finding a flashlight in the dark..........thats easy,use your edc light to find it:);) Some do use GITD(Glow In The Dark)tape on their lights. Could use GITD rubber bands wrapped around too:)

You will still need a guru to answer yet :laughing:

Thanks, gitd rubber bands... Or tape..

TEEJ

Flashaholic

Thanks, gitd rubber bands... Or tape..

I use tritium fobs for some lights...they glow for decades all by themselves w/o needing to be exposed to light to charge them.

For others I use glow in the dark O-Rings. I slip the O-Rings over the light's bezel and body, etc, and charge them either by leaving them out in the sun, a room light, or, a UV light (Fastest charge). Once charged, they glow for a few days, but are fairly bright for about 12 hours, dimming significantly after that. The O-Rings are very cheap, I get them on CPFM for pennies apiece, and the 1" O-Ring can stretch and go around a 3-4" flashlight head, and fit in between the ridges or cooling fins, etc.
6910613550_4be7397e3c_c.jpg
7056692813_1b4996f72c_c.jpg

Reflective tape is good, especially if you use one light to find the others...as it flashes strongly when you sweep a beam across it.

They make GPS based transponders that you can attach, so that you can find the light or even track it if its moving, etc.

They also make shorter range devices that flash and/or beep, etc, when you hit a button on a remote (Kind of like finding your car in the parking garage by hitting the key fob...).

As far as water resistance, keeping the threads and rings greased helps a lot. Potting the electronics, so that stuff doesn't really move in there, helps a lot. Vinh upgrades the wires and resolders most of the connections to get good ground paths and heat conduction, etc...so, they are sturdier than the original lights in all cases. NO light is impervious to damage...even a tough light can just "land wrong" and get a shot at just the wrong angle, etc...its a bit of luck involved there...but, Vinh's stuff is never more delicate than his donor lights...he always makes it better in that regard.

If the light was never water proof to start with, say because it has a certain switch set up, or, a zoom head, etc...it will most likely stay the same in that regard. So, you'd pick starting points that have what you're looking for to start from...and improve accordingly.

Last edited:

tyxxvxl

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ha ha I can make you a parcord wrist lanyard out of GITD paracord if you want :)
The cord is actually very bright when it's glowing in the dark.
:)
Ty

H.J.M.

Newly Enlightened

Ha ha I can make you a parcord wrist lanyard out of GITD paracord if you want :)
The cord is actually very bright when it's glowing in the dark.
:)
Ty
Pm or link me some photos plz.
funny I was thinking lanyard. Tritium fobs look awesome but I'm not convinced my kids or dogs won't chew them.

TEEJ

Flashaholic

Pm or link me some photos plz.
funny I was thinking lanyard. Tritium fobs look awesome but I'm not convinced my kids or dogs won't chew them.

LOL

They'd chew a lanyard before a fob...the fobs are metal...and the trit is encased in an acrylic capsule inside it.

tyxxvxl

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'll post up a pic tomorrow of a basic light lanyard I did.
You might have to imagne it glowing though ha ha
I haven't picked up any GITD paracord yet but I can :)
Ty

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

I can pot everything if you want a rock but future repair might be tough.

Samlittle

Enlightened

Speaking of - tritium fobs - can anyone link to a good (read - inexpensive) source?

Anyone heard of or dealt with a company called UNIQUE TITANIUM?

H.J.M.

Newly Enlightened

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?388825-The-V54-Lounge/page84

That is the link to my post for the light lanyard.
Post #2520

I could do the braid in GITD paracord :)
Ty
Found it.

these lights are awesome. My wife can only kill me once so I must choose carefully. Or wait n order two at once..I budget a buck a day for unnecessary items. Right now i'm at -$50... Lol hence the slow death... Besides maybe he will do a new model if I wait..

Cheers!

tyxxvxl

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey Joe,
Let me know if you want any paracord items and I can make you whatever you would like :)
Ty

AS1379G

Newly Enlightened

Wondering if you can do an emitter swap on an HDS Tactical Rotary 250?

It (I believe) comes with an XP-G2 emitter.

I don't know much about the latest LED options out here, but would like to possibly have close-to neutral-cool (~5500K) and increased output.

Is this practical at all? What kind of gains would be achievable?

Looking forward to any input!

Cheers

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

Wondering if you can do an emitter swap on an HDS Tactical Rotary 250?

It (I believe) comes with an XP-G2 emitter.

I don't know much about the latest LED options out here, but would like to possibly have close-to neutral-cool (~5500K) and increased output.

Is this practical at all? What kind of gains would be achievable?

Looking forward to any input!

Cheers

Email me :)

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

Updated #6

1. Never run any of my lights unattended. Doesn't matter which modes you are in. If you plan to run my light unattended please buy a stock light instead.

A.marquardt

Enlightened

Whoops, just read the rule on not posting in red. Sorry about that Vinh.