Muyshondt Mako Prototype Evaluation

FrogmanM

Flashlight Enthusiast
excellent review goatie! I'm fighting the urge to purchase two of these fine flashlights! hopefully one will quench my common-cell-long runtime-titanium thirst!:devil:

Happy Thxgiving to all!

Mayo

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a gorgeous light and I am contemplating one.

One question: with the magic of multiple modes and such a fine, custom light, was there any thought to make a higher high? It just seems that two relatively low outputs would make this a bit less useful than one really high (like 100+ lm) and then one nice and low.

Am I ****oo on this? What do folks think?

Happy Turkey Day!

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
applevision: there are other lights for that, including Endeavour's Aeon and Nautilus.
this one was designed using a clean white low-power very-very-efficent LED that isn't made to be driven that hard.
it's about super long runtimes here, not brightness.
and doing it in a tiny titanium AAA package with two brightness levels.

Last edited:

orcinus

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a different category...

Mako was meant to offer low output with an extremely long runtime and even lower output with an even longer runtime. What you're looking for is an LF2X, ARCmania Extreme III or an LD01.

Mako belongs to the ArcAAA or E01 class of keychain lights, only with... well... more class :D

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
Regarding the higher high, it would be nice if the 5 mm LED's could handle current high enough to produce 25 or so lumens over the course of many years but the problem with 5 mm LED's producing a ton of light is that they are not rated to handle the higher current levels required.

In order to obtain brighter outputs w/these LED's, the light would have to overdrive the LED and this is something that Enrique is not willing to do because of the degradation to the LED over time caused by the overdriving.

As a result, the Mako will not be for everyone as is the case with many other lights.

Take care.

orcinus

Flashlight Enthusiast
In order to obtain brighter outputs w/these LED's, the light would have to overdrive the LED and this is something that Enrique is not willing to do because of the degradation to the LED over time caused by the overdriving.

It could use a multi-core 5mm LED, like the SMJLED Mini-Mag dropin. But that would produce an ugly (and blue) beam. So it's probably better the way it is.

As a result, the Mako will not be for everyone as is the case with many other lights.

I think it's actually an ideal light for everyone. :D
Keychain EDC lights don't really need to be super-bright.
Too bad i've already filled up my EDC keychain needs... :(

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys.

After reading Muyshondt's new updated intro post (and your clarifications), I now get it.

I like it a LOT but I agree with orcinus: my needs are then already met with my LD01.

:mecry:

I may have to get one to be a shelf queen however... it is a work of art!

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
You lucky dog Goat,

Very informative bunch of posts you've made here, many many thanks, not up to your usual standard at all:nana:.

Can't wait, if it gets the :thumbsup: from G'boy I'm in.

Hods

Burgess

Flashaholic
A very cool looking flashlight. :cool:

Thank you for the review !

:goodjob:
_

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
How would you best describe the "feel" of the twist?

Most interested in how much intentional effort it takes to twist and the spacing spectrum.

My preference and type of use is best suited with lights that require more intentional effort
and a wide spacing spectrum. Hoping it's similar to the Aeon, which is IMO perfecto! :twothumbs

Flashlight Enthusiast
The picture posted with the two lights turned on makes the output look blueish.

Is it?

The tint from the Aeon is warm and the tint from the Mako is cooler than the Aeon's but I would not classify it at blue. It is a very even, neutral white; different and better than other 5 mm LED's that I have owned.

Flashlight Enthusiast
How would you best describe the "feel" of the twist?

Most interested in how much intentional effort it takes to twist and the spacing spectrum.

My preference and type of use is best suited with lights that require more intentional effort
and a wide spacing spectrum. Hoping it's similar to the Aeon, which is IMO perfecto! :twothumbs

I don't know if the prototype will be different than the production model, but if you can remember far enough back to the black Aeon that you sold me, then that would be a good reference; I just tried the 2 of them together and starting from the point that the Mako turned on, it took approximately 3/4 of a turn to move to the high level and the Aeon went from low to high a little bit quicker. Twisting the 2 was about the same.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
The tint from the Aeon is warm and the tint from the Mako is cooler than the Aeon's but I would not classify it at blue. It is a very even, neutral white; different and better than other 5 mm LED's that I have owned.
I just got an LoTi that Gunga had put a P4 in and described as warm. I was really disappointed at first because I did a tint comparison with my favorite, the RB80, which made the P4 look pretty cold. Then another comparison with my D10 and I realized how purely white the P4 was and that the RB80 just happens to be very warm, especially side-by-side.

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Divine & Kaichu Dento:The biggest mistake you will ever make with any set of LED flashlights is to go "white wall hunting" and turn on two lights against one another; things that look perfectly white by themselves "magically" turn into something markedly different when looked at together. This is the nature of LEDs and variations occur across of reel of LEDs of identical bin. :shrug:

I still maintain that the Mako produces the best beam color that I, personally, have seen in a flashlight that uses 5mm LEDs. Judged on its own merits, I think that you will be pleased with what you see. If you start going white wall hunting and comparing it to power LEDs and X number of other lights it wasn't designed to "compete" with, then your mileage may very likely vary. :shrug: Point being, the Mako is a decent little light that does what it was designed to do well, and I've tried to make it very clear as to what that is, and what it's capable of. Whether or not it does what you want it to do is another story entirely, and up to you to decide. :nana:

seery: I do not like hair-trigger level spacing; I've owned too many lights done as such that I end up unintentionally blinding myself with due to insufficient level spacing. Mode spacing on lights that I make will always be sufficient to not accidentally activate into a higher mode than you wanted to be in.

-Enrique

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Divine & Kaichu Dento:The biggest mistake you will ever make with any set of LED flashlights is to go "white wall hunting" and turn on two lights against one another; things that look perfectly white by themselves "magically" turn into something markedly different when looked at together. This is the nature of LEDs and variations occur across of reel of LEDs of identical bin. :shrug:
-Enrique
Maybe, but I didn't say that I was white wall hunting! :nana:

I do my beam comparison shots on pictures and household items and if I was misled, it was shorlived as I've become accustomed to making comparisons that will serve my personal taste in tint. I'm very happy with that particular LoTi P4, other than the grindy threads! :sick2:

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
. . . but if you can remember far enough back to the black Aeon that you sold me . . . I just tried the 2 of them together . . . Twisting the 2 was about the same.
:twothumbs :twothumbs

seery: I do not like hair-trigger level spacing . . . Mode spacing on lights that I make will always be sufficient to not accidentally activate into a higher mode than you wanted to be in.
:twothumbs :twothumbs

Goatee - It's uncertain at this point if I'll ever forgive you for introducing me to the Nautilus . . . which lead me to the Aeon . . . now the Mako . . . you see where this is heading don't you! :poke:

Last edited:

The Coach

Enlightened
I just ordered one and it will replace my CR2 ION on my keychain. How does it compare, output wise? :thinking:

Latest posts