MX25L3 Questions

Photogr

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking to buy my first new flashlight and decided that the MX25L3 will best fit my needs. I was originally going to go with the SX25L3, but then read about this model and decided it's worth going with the extra throw. I've decided to purchase it with the kit for the diffuser and tail cap switch.

Since this is a new model and hasn't been released yet should I be concerned about purchasing immediately on its release? I know in other industry's it's often better to wait for the bugs to be worked out. Is this typically a concern with flashlights or Eagletac as a manufacturer?

Can anyone recommend batteries & charger for this light? My only experience with batteries are the rechargeable NiMH AA's. Typically, I like to purchase the most powerful cells I can buy but I've never purchased 18650's before so I don't know if this is the best route to go. I could purchase the Eagletac recommended, but figured I's ask here first. Same question with the charger. I have read quite a bit about batteries on this site, but I guess I'm looking for specific recommendations based on this specific light. Maybe someone with the SX25L3 since this is the same host and engine.

thijsco19

Newly Enlightened
Since this is a new model and hasn't been released yet should I be concerned about purchasing immediately on its release? I know in other industry's it's often better to wait for the bugs to be worked out. Is this typically a concern with flashlights or Eagletac as a manufacturer?
I know what you mean, however eagletac has more models with multiple batteries and similiar designs. So I think it won't be a problem if you buy it as soon it is available.
I actually never heard of people doing that.

Can anyone recommend batteries & charger for this light? My only experience with batteries are the rechargeable NiMH AA's. Typically, I like to purchase the most powerful cells I can buy but I've never purchased 18650's before so I don't know if this is the best route to go. I could purchase the Eagletac recommended, but figured I's ask here first. Same question with the charger. I have read quite a bit about batteries on this site, but I guess I'm looking for specific recommendations based on this specific light. Maybe someone with the SX25L3 since this is the same host and engine.
One thing I know for sure, you cant go wrong with the eagletacs, and yes also with 18650's it's the best way to go with the most powerfull cell. However, that's only with 18650's from a known brand. (such as eagletac) You dont wat to buy the cheap chinese stuff.

As for the charger the nitecore intellicharger is I believe a good charger. As Mr. Tone said below, Xtar is also a good charger.

Last edited:

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have quite a few Eagletac lights and they seem to already have the bugs worked out before they ship them. I just recently purchased the MX25L3C with the Nichia 219 emitters and it looks and performs exactly as advertised. It is great!

I assume you are interested in the MT-G2 but this model and the SX25L3 also come with XM-L2. Which one are you referring to? Anyway, I would suggest getting the Eagletac 3100 or 3400 batteries and the XTAR charger that can charge 6 18650 batteries at one time. That way you can have either one or two sets of batteries and just charge them all at the same time.

Photogr

Newly Enlightened
Thanks very much guys. Sounds like there is no reason to look beyond the Eagletac 3400's.

I do like the idea of multiple cell chargers such as the ones recommended, especially since the light will use 3 cells. In looking at the reviews on them the Nitecore appears to fare better. Looks like a good combination to me.

Mr. Tone, I'm going to go with the CREE XM-L2 T6 LED (4300K) as it's important to me to have a warm tint.

BTW, my work computer is not letting me open this post, which is getting caught on a weapons filter (even though I was able to post the original question from said computer). Any responses on my part will have to wait until the evening.

Last edited:

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks very much guys. Sounds like there is no reason to look beyond the Eagletac 3400's.

I do like the idea of multiple cell chargers such as the ones recommended, especially since the light will use 3 cells. In looking at the reviews on them the Nitecore appears to fare better. Looks like a good combination to me.

Mr. Tone, I'm going to go with the CREE XM-L2 T6 LED (4300K) as it's important to me to have a warm tint.

BTW, my work computer is not letting me open this post, which is getting caught on a weapons filter (even though I was able to post the original question from said computer). Any responses on my part will have to wait until the evening.

All of my Eagletac lights are neutral white, too. That is just one more big reason why Eagletac has gained so much of my business and loyalty. I strongly dislike cool white tints and love that Eagletac offers neutral white on all their models. I, too, am going to purchase the MX25L3 with XM-L2 neutral white. I like the idea of that much throw in such a compact package. As far as neutral white tint goes, man, these Nichia 219 hi CRI emitters are the bomb!

Photogr

Newly Enlightened
In looking at the two, the reviews I'm looking at indicate the advantage of the Nitecore is it uses a true CC/CV charging algorithm, where the Xtar is reported to simulate it. I don't know practically if this is a worthwhile difference to be honest, but that's just what I've read. I can see the extra two changing bays of the Xtar coming in handy, especially with 3 cells being used by the light and the ultimate use of an extra set of batteries, but if the charging algorithm is significantly better on the Nitecore and if this is an important difference then it seems a better route to go. Unfortunately, I don't fully understand these differences so it's hard to weigh the apples against the oranges.

I saw last night that they are now selling the MX25L3, so things are getting close. Unfortunately, I don't see the CREE XM-L2 T6 LED (4300K) being offered yet. I sent Eagletac an email asking about this. Hopefully, they are good about responding. Anyone have a connection at Eagletac they can ask?

Last edited:

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
i saw last night that they are now selling the MX25L3, so things are getting close. Unfortunately, I don't see the CREE XM-L2 T6 LED (4300K) being offered yet. I sent Eagletac an email asking about this. Hopefully, they are good about responding. Anyone have a connection at Eagletac they can ask?

I was told by someone at IlluminationGear that they were expecting the neutral white versions of the MX25L3 XM-L2 and also T200C2 towards the end of November or beginning of December. I do not know if that is the same for other dealers but I have bought most of my Eagletac lights through IlluminationGear as they have been very good to me with communication, pricing, quick shipping, etc. I need a little more time to come up with the funds so a little more wait is not a big deal for me. I have the MX25L3C with Nichia 219 to use for close to midrange duties. :thumbsup:

GoingGear.com

Enlightened
I saw last night that they are now selling the MX25L3, so things are getting close. Unfortunately, I don't see the CREE XM-L2 T6 LED (4300K) being offered yet. I sent Eagletac an email asking about this. Hopefully, they are good about responding. Anyone have a connection at Eagletac they can ask?

A dealer just has to order them. NW doesn't sell nearly as well as CW, so we tend to see how the CW models selling before dipping into NW. There are exceptions, of course, like the MX25L3C 219 that is not CW by nature.

As much as we like and prefer NW and High CRI, they just don't sell, even when you show someone both side by side with no previous bias on the buyer's part. Until that changes, non-CW options will be limited.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
A dealer just has to order them. NW doesn't sell nearly as well as CW, so we tend to see how the CW models selling before dipping into NW. There are exceptions, of course, like the MX25L3C 219 that is not CW by nature.

As much as we like and prefer NW and High CRI, they just don't sell, even when you show someone both side by side with no previous bias on the buyer's part. Until that changes, non-CW options will be limited.

I totally understand what you are saying from a business perspective. It is nice that Eagletac is willing to manufacture most of their models with neutral white emitters for those of us who won't buy anything else. My personal belief is that if neutral white LED lights had a higher lumen and candela rating than cool white versions that would completely reverse the cool/neutral sale difference. Since that is not really possible because LED chips output blue light by nature I will never get to say "I told you so" to all the cool white fans.
:dedhorse:

Photogr

Newly Enlightened
While I can't wait it get my hands on this (my first) light, I know I'll be happiest in the long run waiting for it, so that's what I'll do. It's much easier waiting for something that you know is coming than for someone to develop something that isn't out. I guess that's why you guys build your own.

Since I'm waiting, I'm still evaluating and researching and found a new charger that I'm thinking is my front runner. It's a ThruNite MCC-4. Looks like a better choice than the Nitecore I was looking at.

Photogr

Newly Enlightened
I called Eagletac-USA to find out when they plan to release the MX25L3 XM-L2 T6, and they told me that the Eagletac website is incorrect showing this option and the T6 version of this light is not going to be produced. It appears now that my quest for a light of this caliber is now down to choosing between the SX25L3 XM-L2 T6 or the MX25L3C Nichia 219 B11.

TBH, I've been very reluctant to consider the L3C because of its limited throw, shorter run times and additional weight. However, maybe the tint of the Nichia LED's is worth consideration?

Does anyone have any opinions on the tint between these two lights? I'm strongly leaning to the SX, but figured I'd toss this out before going ahead with my purchase since this is a late game changer for me.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you mean choosing the SX25L3 XM-L2 U2 or MT-G2? I believe the T6 flux bin was only the neutral white option that is apparently not happening. I think I heard from an Eagletac dealer that you might be able to have Eagletac put in a different emitter for you. It would be worth contacting Eagletac directly to ask if they are willing to do that.

If not, there is one modder here who would swap out the cool white emitter for you and replace it with your choice of neutral white XM-L2 on copper. I believe it would be around $35 for the mod. If you are knowledgeable and comfortable with a soldering iron the SX25L3 XM-L2 would probably be an easy emitter swap. You can find neutral white XM-L2 emitters already mounted direct to copper boards from a couple different sources.

Photogr

Newly Enlightened
It's my understanding that the SX25L3 comes in 3 flavors: MT-G2, XM-L2 U2 & the XM-L2 T6. The T6 option is the warmest of the 3 at 4300K. Up until the conversation with Eagletac-USA, I understood from the Eagletac website that they were offering the MX25L3 in the same 3 options, but now I'm told only the MT-G2 and XM-L2 U2 will be offered in this light. Since the T6 is available in the SX I'm asking about this emitter vs the Cree Nichia 219 which is offered in the MX25L3C.

I know you guys are into modding lights and some/many prefer on this site this option over new, but my being new to this endeavor find it all quite overwhelming and I like the idea of having a warranty.

Good idea calling Eagletac directly. Hopefully I can reach them, as I've found it to be a challenge sometimes.

Around the time I posted the OP of this thread, I first discovered the MX25L3 as an option. Prior to this I was set on buying the SX25L3, so going back to this option is not too hard for me to do. I just figured I'd ask about the difference in emitters first before I spend the $200. Aside from the tint differences (if any), I think the SX25L3 is a closer fit to my needs than the MD25L3C.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's my understanding that the SX25L3 comes in 3 flavors: MT-G2, XM-L2 U2 & the XM-L2 T6. The T6 option is the warmest of the 3 at 4300K. Up until the conversation with Eagletac-USA, I understood from the Eagletac website that they were offering the MX25L3 in the same 3 options, but now I'm told only the MT-G2 and XM-L2 U2 will be offered in this light. Since the T6 is available in the SX I'm asking about this emitter vs the Cree Nichia 219 which is offered in the MX25L3C.

I know you guys are into modding lights and some/many prefer on this site this option over new, but my being new to this endeavor find it all quite overwhelming and I like the idea of having a warranty.

Good idea calling Eagletac directly. Hopefully I can reach them, as I've found it to be a challenge sometimes.

Around the time I posted the OP of this thread, I first discovered the MX25L3 as an option. Prior to this I was set on buying the SX25L3, so going back to this option is not too hard for me to do. I just figured I'd ask about the difference in emitters first before I spend the $200. Aside from the tint differences (if any), I think the SX25L3 is a closer fit to my needs than the MD25L3C.

As far as the SX25L3 goes, I had one of those a while back. I sold it because the 5000K tint was a little too cool for me. The MX25L3C with Nichia emitters subjectively appears to be about the same output and throw of the MT-G2 SX25L3. I guess you are talking about the XM-L2 SX25L3 of which I have not seen myself. Another good option for you would be the SX25L2 with neutral white XM-L2. You can get that with the standard or turbo head for more throw. It includes a 2x26650 battery pack and the charger is built into the light. It includes an AC and DC power supply to charge the light. It is about the size of a 2xC cell Maglite. I use the neutral white standard head SX25L2 for duty use and it is fantastic. It is very bright and has good throw, too. Check it out, it might be something you missed seeing. Here is a couple good reviews of that line of Eagletac lights.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-(2x26650)-XM-L2-U2-Review-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...urbo-Head-Comparison-Review-OUTDOOR-BEAMSHOTS

Trident1

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered the MX25L3C Nichia from Illumination Supply (good dealing with them!). I have to say I'm partial to this Nichia tint as it Mr. Tone - for me, it just looks right. I can't do another cool tint in any size - neutral or warm from here out. Kinda think this is a good close to medium "flood the area with perfect tint" light. I know it's not to light up 300 meters away, but that's for another light........

I don't have anything bigger than my Hound Dog, so this is venture into the bigger than pocket thing. Too many 18650 lights already (one favorite) though I think it will fit a good spot at home. Next on the list is the smallest 1 to 4 18650 light that throws but has great spill too - will take this part to another thread. This really is a great time for those of us that appreciate small, quality, high powered lights

Photogr

Newly Enlightened
As far as the SX25L3 goes, I had one of those a while back. I sold it because the 5000K tint was a little too cool for me. The MX25L3C with Nichia emitters subjectively appears to be about the same output and throw of the MT-G2 SX25L3. I guess you are talking about the XM-L2 SX25L3 of which I have not seen myself. Another good option for you would be the SX25L2 with neutral white XM-L2. You can get that with the standard or turbo head for more throw. It includes a 2x26650 battery pack and the charger is built into the light. It includes an AC and DC power supply to charge the light. It is about the size of a 2xC cell Maglite. I use the neutral white standard head SX25L2 for duty use and it is fantastic. It is very bright and has good throw, too. Check it out, it might be something you missed seeing. Here is a couple good reviews of that line of Eagletac lights.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-(2x26650)-XM-L2-U2-Review-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...urbo-Head-Comparison-Review-OUTDOOR-BEAMSHOTS

So......lots of changes since my last correspondence. I ended up purchasing the MX25L3 MT-G2 yesterday. Quite a different direction from where I was intending to go, but time will tell if it was a (n expensive) mistake or not. The only reason for that (BTW) would be the tint issue , but the extra lumens will go a long way and if the tint is too cool for my photographs I am hopeful that I can correct it with filters at only a very slight loss in throw. For my photography needs I'll likely be using the diffuser most of the time anyway, so loss of throw isn't a big deal except when I'm trying to reach way out.

I did see those rechargeable alternatives that you pointed out, but had kind of dismissed them fairly early on. I don't recall exactly why right now, but that they weren't as good an option as the SX or MX alternative.

I guess time will tell if I ended up going in a bad direction. I'm hopeful that I didn't, but if so it's hopefully correctable one way or the other.

I just ordered the MX25L3C Nichia from Illumination Supply (good dealing with them!). I have to say I'm partial to this Nichia tint as it Mr. Tone - for me, it just looks right. I can't do another cool tint in any size - neutral or warm from here out. Kinda think this is a good close to medium "flood the area with perfect tint" light. I know it's not to light up 300 meters away, but that's for another light........

I don't have anything bigger than my Hound Dog, so this is venture into the bigger than pocket thing. Too many 18650 lights already (one favorite) though I think it will fit a good spot at home. Next on the list is the smallest 1 to 4 18650 light that throws but has great spill too - will take this part to another thread. This really is a great time for those of us that appreciate small, quality, high powered lights

I just couldn't get my arms around the MX25L3C as an option for me. The tint on the Nichia's sounds perfect but the fact that their low output requires them to be stacked together resulting in a very low throw light made them a deal breaker. It's really hard to make these decisions on paper without seeing them in person. It could be the L3C is the perfect light for my needs, but until I see one in person I just won't know.

Last edited:

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good luck with the MT-G2 MX25L3. Let us know when you get it and how you feel about it. It looks like a great light and 5000K is still a whole lot more neutral white than typical LED flashlights. The diffuser should give you a floody beam with a lot of lumens, too. The amount of candela should give you a practical 200-300 yards in throw.

lightliker

Newly Enlightened
In looking at the two, the reviews I'm looking at indicate the advantage of the Nitecore is it uses a true CC/CV charging algorithm, where the Xtar is reported to simulate it. I don't know practically if this is a worthwhile difference to be honest, but that's just what I've read. I can see the extra two changing bays of the Xtar coming in handy, especially with 3 cells being used by the light and the ultimate use of an extra set of batteries, but if the charging algorithm is significantly better on the Nitecore and if this is an important difference then it seems a better route to go. Unfortunately, I don't fully understand these differences so it's hard to weigh the apples against the oranges.

Go for the nitecore, I use it on regulary base and this one charges mij panasonics very nice!

drpower

Newly Enlightened
I bought the Kit version and noticed I don't have the Nylon Holster, anyone get the holster?