My Dad’s One Million Mile Maglite

lovenhim

Enlightened
Hello everyone. I thought I would share this short story. My dad worked for a Ford/Motorcraft auto parts warehouse from 1979-2010. He drove a delivery van and sold Ford/Motorcraft auto parts to Ford dealers and small shops across the state. He had various Ford/Motorcraft branded items over his career. This 3D cell Maglite dates to 1/22/92. From 1992-2010 my dad drove over one million miles on the job. This Maglite was his company work van line. The light was carried in three vans and was used five days a week. This flashlight is the reason why I use Maglight products. The replacement bulb is still in the tailcap. These days this light is pretty dim compared to a modern LED model. I now have a Maglite ML300L 4Dcell flashlight. I love the economy mode. Here is dad's one million mile Maglite.

Attachments

• 29EE6B71-F1A7-48EB-AB4C-C823DC5FA0CD.gif
    29EE6B71-F1A7-48EB-AB4C-C823DC5FA0CD.gif
    313.9 KB · Views: 165

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks real good for a 30 year old light with a million miles!

thermal guy

Flashaholic
That thing is in amazing shape for a work flashlight. And 30 years of it. Boy if that thing could talk.

lovenhim

Enlightened
I did post about it on Maglite's Facebook page and website. It is because of this exact light that I buy Maglite products. I am more of a time tested/tried & true type person. I tried other brands over the past twelve years such as FourSevens, Fenix, and Streamlight. None of them still work. Every single one failed. I used this flashlight tonight on the farm in total darkness. For my use I simply prefer "ole' reliable" to bleeding edge. This flashlight outlived my dad. I do not see that being said of an Olight. None of the above brands are bad at all, I simply prefer a buy once…have it for decades item.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did post about it on Maglite's Facebook page and website. It is because of this exact light that I buy Maglite products. I am more of a time tested/tried & true type person. I tried other brands over the past twelve years such as FourSevens, Fenix, and Streamlight. None of them still work. Every single one failed. I used this flashlight tonight on the farm in total darkness. For my use I simply prefer "ole' reliable" to bleeding edge. This flashlight outlived my dad. I do not see that being said of an Olight. None of the above brands are bad at all, I simply prefer a buy once…have it for decades item.

I feel the same way. My old 4D Mag is still going strong after over 35 years of use and some abuse. I still use it a good bit running a LED drop-in and Soshine NIMH's. My AA Mini Mag of the same vintage still works though pretty much retired.

HmOamhT.jpg

Last edited:

lovenhim

Enlightened
I feel the same way. My old 4D Mag is still going strong after over 35 years of use and some abuse. I still use it a good bit running a LED drop-in and Soshine NIMH's. My AA Mini Mag of the same vintage still works though pretty much retired.

View attachment 19982
My dad also had a matching 2AA Maglite he kept in a pocket with the same logo on it. I hope to find it at some point as well.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I bought a minimag in about 1996 and carried it in my work truck until about 2015. Nowhere near a million miles but I'd suppose a half million or so.

I tried to Nite Ize it and a part flew off. So a bit later member Poppy donated a working switch and it works again, but now enjoys spending its day in a flashlight retirement community called "the window ledge between the kitchen and den"…
57777E63-89D8-415C-A46D-893FDC063556.jpeg

Last edited: