My Surefire E1B Backup (Beamshots and runtime)

Chao

Enlightened
I actually like the clicky and the small size of E1B for EDC, however, I have 4 L1 (old and new), I Love L1 very much, maybe I still need time to enjoy my E1B, but I still like L1 more so far.

LA OZ

Enlightened
I did a runtime on Max with a LIFePO4 500mAh rechargeable. It ran for about 35min Max and rapidly drop off. Not bad consider the L1 Cree will only ran for 25min.

Chao

Enlightened
I did a runtime on Max with a LIFePO4 500mAh rechargeable. It ran for about 35min Max and rapidly drop off. Not bad consider the L1 Cree will only ran for 25min.

Good to know, thanks for the test.

LedZep

Newly Enlightened
LA OZ - If I understand correctly, the L1 Cree and E1B both can run on LiFePO4 rechargeables? What brand do you use?

Chao - thanks for the beamshots - always helpful and appreciated!! :thumbsup:

LA OZ

Enlightened
Yes, these rechargeable come out of the special charger at about 3.2V so it is equivalent to the standard CR123s. Its capacity is smaller than the standard cells by a few folds. Although it said 500mah but It is more like 325mah. You can get them from Dealextreme.com. They are about $6 for 2.

Chao

Enlightened
I finally love this E1B tailcap, when click it on, and shake the light or just shake the tailcap, no more noise can be heard :twothumbs.
If the new 2008 E1L/E2L/E2D tailcap has same improvement, that would be great!

Chao

Enlightened
I got my second E1B :D, because my first E1B bezel can be opened, I am going to mod it.
My #2 E1B has more throw than #1 unit, I got 3900 lux at 1m (4000 lux in very beginning). The origional shots and readings of my #1 E1B might not in good focal point, so I updated beamshots and readings in the #1 post.

Sloman

Newly Enlightened
How many batteries does this backup take? Is it worth the price point of $110???:thinking:

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chao,

How do you change the focus of the optic?

Do you screw in the bezel (optic moves closer to LED) for a tighter spot and unscrew (optic moves further away from the LED) for a more diffuse beam?

Thanks!
Brian

Chao

Enlightened
Chao,

How do you change the focus of the optic?

Do you screw in the bezel (optic moves closer to LED) for a tighter spot and unscrew (optic moves further away from the LED) for a more diffuse beam?

Thanks!
Brian

Yes, exactly, but do not screw in too tight, that still cause out off focus, just unscrew it a little bit, there is a good focal point there.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome.......I WANT ONE!!!!! :D

Thanks for the review.. I am really tempted now. My battered old E1e+KL1 retired recently while I looked for a replacement in HABK, but this light looks like THE perfect replacement, plus bezel-down clip which I really like.

WDR65

Enlightened
KevinL,
I think its a great improvement over the E1L. I was so impressed with my first one that I've now ordered another one. One to carry and one to replace my L1 in my truck. Though I really like the L1, the E1B has now moved into my favorite compact Surefire spot.

dougie

Enlightened
I recently bought a E1B and have to say I'm exceptionally pleased with it.

The beam and colour tint are excellent and unless you are a total perfectionist and using the light up close on a white wall you probably won't notice a slight irregularity to the shape of the hotspot.

The design and manufacturing standards are up to Surefire's normal highs and the black HA on mine shows no purple tinges or other blemishes on any of the parts. The clip is as already noted by others excellent and allows easy bezel up/down carry.

I dont find the lack of knurling an issue but I wish there was a better way to attach a lanyard to this light other than using the clip as an attachment point?

The switch is firm but very positive and I find that you can select the appropriate level of light (5 or 80 lumens) by just depressing the button enough to momentarily activate the light. If this is done in close succession then you simply need to click once to select the level opf light needed. *I assume that this was how Surefire intended the switch to work and not something that I've accidentally found out about?*

In use I've found that the beam slightly surpasses the P60L for throw but with a narrower spill. I suspect the hotspot on the E1B is the cause for this? As an EDC this light is superb. If you use a beamshaper you have a large amount of area light coming from something so small.

Doug

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sold! I'm just waiting for SF to get back and reply to me how much international shipping will be to fly it out to me :)

I also just realized the magic of this new enhanced clip is that it is a BOTH WAYS clip: you can clip it the traditional way to a hat brim (as per existing E1e has been, for many generations), or clip it bezel down.

Does the clip have the little hole for the lanyard? That's my preferred carry style. Been using that for years with no ill effects.

Little issues such as mismatched HA don't worry me. My U2 has mismatched HABK (but still looks beautiful), it has a bit of the donut hole and a pinkish tint. I actually like the pink tint, the donut is never visible in the field, and the X-bin is awesome :D so I think I and the E1B will get along well.

Great to hear I can run it on LiFePO4's as well, with all the difficulties in shipping lithium internationally, a rechargeable conversion, whether or not approved by Surefire, is absolutely important to me. My U2 has run on rechargeables for all but 2-3 sets of batteries, for years, to the point where the rechargeables are losing capacity, but the light is doing just fine. "Affordable CR123" is a misnomer.. CR123's are $2.70 EACH by the time they reach me.

However I gotta note: my E1e+KL1 lived nearly its entire life on CR123s because it sipped so little juice. Maybe the E1B will follow in its footsteps :)

dougie

Enlightened
Unfortunately there are no holes for attaching a split ring or anywhere else on the light for securely attaching a lanyard. your best bet is the angle of the clip where it doubles back on itself. Alternatively you can do what I'm doing and get hold of a Z68.

Doug

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
Nice review. :thumbsup:
I have my E1B head on a Vital-Gear FB1 body and I love it.
The Vital-Gear body is not as slick as the original backup body and it is a little shorter too. The Vital-Gear body can also tailstand.
It really makes a nice little light.

Rico801

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review! I think I am in over my head in this forum. I don't know all the flashlight lingo or technicalities. Hopefully I will learn them soon! I am not a flashaholic, but I need to use these things to survive at work. I have carried an old 6p for the most part, but have owned a E2d and an M3, but sold them both. Dept. issues Streamlights, but not a huge fan of the beam.

Anyways, I just ordered one of these E1B's because I need a small light for my current assignment and this one seems to fit well with the small size and different lumen output (high, low). I ordered without checking reviews and now I have a couple of questions.

Can the clip be removed completely?

Some of the posts mention that the bezel is loose or can be opened. Are the bezels not supposed to do this? The bezel on my ancient 6p twists off, but I think this is normal. This will be my first decent (duty worthy) LED flashlight.

Thanks!

Rick

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
My example of the light is quite buttoned up.
the clip may be removable with some work.
the bezel is NOT there to be taken apart. NO way. At least not mine.
No need either,
The head is just about as fine as they get from the factory and are in need of NO help.

ONE thing I did notice is that on the surefire site their is a short movie starring the E1B which in interactive. in one of the "scenes" the E1B is shown in two parts and the threads are shown with not one but 2 sets of O-rings making the connection.
My E1B has 2 sets of a single O-Ring doing the protective work.
WTF? The Promo material shown a more advanced design and concept. What is sold to the end user is something different that which is shown.
IMHO NOT cool.
http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/pgname/lightE1B/strfnbr/6
Have a look above. click on the "4". What is shown is a part with 2 O-Rings which apparently mates with the twist on switch.

IS this kind of bait and switch OK? UMMMMM???

I happen to really like double o-rings.
Yaesumofo

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Putting a hole in the clip should take all of 30 seconds.
IMHO there are better switches which could be installed which have an easy way to install a lanyard.
Yaesumofo

Unfortunately there are no holes for attaching a split ring or anywhere else on the light for securely attaching a lanyard. your best bet is the angle of the clip where it doubles back on itself. Alternatively you can do what I'm doing and get hold of a Z68.

Doug