My Three Fenixes

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
A while back I bought four Fenix L1P's from 4sevens. One disappeared as a gift, and eventually, as with pretty much all lights that make their way here to the Milky Labs (hee hee), ;) had to mod the others!
:ohgeez:

All three ended up with different mods... thought it might be a nice rainy day activity (LITERALLY here in NJ) to post 'em on CPF, show folks some of the possibilities with these versatile little lights.

I AM MILKYSPIT!
(Okay, not really... this is actually trusty assistant and inspiration for the milkyspit name, Flashlight Inspector Amzie, showing our three subjects.)

img-3fenix-amzie.jpg

Would you believe I'm the guy drawn in chalk?
:thinking:

One L1P remained stock save for a tailcap conversion to dual brightness twisty (thanks for the education MSaxatilus!)... one became the proud recipient of one of PhotonFanatic's "to die for" Q2H one-watt cyan emitters... and one went lithium-ion by way of the FLuPIC. Some closer looks...

Left to right: FLuPIC, cyan, dual stage.
img-3fenix-upright.jpg

Another look, angled to show a bit of the reflectors. Note the orange peel finish to the one in the middle... more on this below.
img-3fenix-angled.jpg

Two of the three mods use the stock R-bin emitter and retain the stock reflector. Color tends to be a creamy white, typical in my experience for the Fenix... not a bad tint at all! The L1P samples I've seen tend to be pretty consistent in this.

The cyan mod is a different story... as with many colored emitters, at first there was a bit of a donut hole in the center of the beam pattern. Orange peel really does a nice job at smoothing things into a nice, consistent beam... but I'm not skilled enough to orange peel a reflector, not even close! :eek:oo: So I did it the easy way... got out the handy circle cutter and a piece of WriteRight PDA protective film, and cut a nice little disc to affix over the lens. The result makes the reflector look orange peeled, or maybe even frosty. Doesn't seem to hurt overall output much... and it certainly does accomplish the goal! No more donut hole from Mr. Cyan. :)

A look at the lenses. Left to right: FLuPIC, cyan (with WriteRight), dual stage.
img-3fenix-front.jpg

Beamshots? We got no steenkin' beamshots! :D Actually we do. Here's a side-by-side profile of all three lights. Note that the double dip pattern from the cyan mod is a result of the crease in the paper behind it, not the light itself.

Family Portrait. ;)
img-3fenix-beamshots.jpg

All in all, I like the way these mods have turned out! Hope you enjoyed this little glimpse, too. :eek: