My U2 works

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
A lot of $60 000+ cars have recalls...
The tailcap is a brainfart from Surefire and they are paying for it in terms of lost sales and handeling repairs/replacements.

Handeling warranty work is probably a lot more expensive than most people think. People have to be employed, a stock of improved parts have to be stocked, parts have to be redesigned, negative publisity and shipping has to be payed has to be payed....

I picked up some replacement Pelican lights the other day and it cost them new lights, 2 manhours + what they've used to get lights not sold here in Norway shipped in from USA... But they still have a loyal costumer in me :)

I think it can safely be assumed that Surefire is pretty concerned about this issue...

Sverre

Protaeus

Enlightened
However, if everyone who posts about the U2 says that they have problems with it, wouldnt that give others the impression that its a bad,unreliable light? I say good work evening out the numbers a bit and giving a more 'accurate' impression of the U2 quality!

lightmeup81

Newly Enlightened
sorry nc987 no I was reffering to the thread i had made when my surefire stopped working.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/110360&highlight=freagin

bonvivantmike
no surefire is fixing that problem of the led going out, but when i called in to ask about the doughnut whole issue they told me that they would not work on that problem and i even pointed out on there website that it said gaurenteed to have a flawless beam they couldn't really ellaborate on that but said they would not fix the doughnut whole issue cause all luxeons do that.

Numbers

Enlightened
I dont own a U2 but this thread is not evening out the numbers. It's indicative of a problem, even if one does not really exist. This thread would not exist if the U2 did not have at least a precieved problem. The more it is talked about the more suspect the light stays.
What we really need is poll of U2 owners, then figure out what % have had problems, and then decide if that percentage is significant or not.

dizzy

Flashlight Enthusiast
lightmeup81
I have been so close to buying a U2 several times but each time I hear about someone getting one that has issues I don't regret waiting. In the B/S/T thread someone wanted to buy a PERFECT U2 and was willing to pay a premium for it. Someone did sell him one and that is a good way to get what you want but the fact is you should not HAVE to go out of your way to ensure you get a good light.

Having been in QA at a manufacturing plant, I know that it is not that hard to have a trained person test and inspect each light with a standard set of parameters which they pass or fail. I would suggest a sticker that says "INSPECTED BY *****" which gives accountability to someone and tells you that someone at least had some pride in the product being tested.

This is not to say that SF is not putting out great products. I have several and love them all, but they obviously know of the potential for problems with the U2 and should have made changes to make sure nothing goes out without 100% inspection until the problems are eliminated in manufacturing.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
My SureFire U2 has always functioned properly; the only times it malfunctioned at all were when the batteries were just about dead. When I notice it strobing on its highest setting, I know that it's time to change the batteries - this strobing was the "malfunction" I just described.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
My U2 is awesome!! Yes it has a slight donut (Mmmmm doughnuts.....), but the light is so white with no violet or blue or green. Just snow white, like a camera flash bulb. Always clicks on, always clicks off. No dust on the lens or reflector. I am sorry to all those whose U2's that arent as fortunate as mine....

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's interesting to note mine is a first-generation U2 from a very, very early batch.. call me early adopter paying full retail price for it, yup that's what I was :)

What I suspect (speculation follows) was that QC may have been tighter, OR there was less demand and time pressure in those days since SF could afford to build the lights ahead of its launch date while the rest of us were drooling on our keyboards waiting for them (I practically was :D).

Up till recently I was dealing with an organization that was ramping up its customer base dramatically and trying to help them solve some of their problems. It does happen.. scaling too far and too fast, pushing the numbers too hard. It could be possible that the U2 is selling as fast as they can make them, from what I hear, it seems to be the case.

And as has been said on some of the other forums, for every owner who reports a failure or issue, there are 10-20X more keeping quiet or enjoying their gear away from a computer. I'm posting not because I'm familiar with the other U2-problem threads (haven't even read them to be honest :D) and this is not directed at any particular user, so I see the purpose of this thread as counterbalancing, or giving owners who have had a hassle free experience a little bit of say, even if it's just one post. I'd like to reiterate.. my posts are not directed at anybody, so nobody needs to feel that it is :)

nc987

Enlightened
No need to do a poll. Our sample size is far too small for any conclusions to be drawn. CPF members represent .00001%(exaggeration obviously) of all U2 owners worldwide.

My U2 worked again last night, i love it!

Numbers

Enlightened
Still, the poll represents the experience of CPF members. I think we would need some type of math statistcs expert to see what type of sample would be valid.

When Neilsen does their TV ratings dont they poll only a few thousand people to determine what many millions are watching at any given time? That's accepted as valid although I dont know if it is.

iNDiGLo

"the Precious..."
KevinL said:
It's interesting to note mine is a first-generation U2 from a very, very early batch.. call me early adopter paying full retail price for it, yup that's what I was :)

What I suspect (speculation follows) was that QC may have been tighter, OR there was less demand and time pressure in those days since SF could afford to build the lights ahead of its launch date while the rest of us were drooling on our keyboards waiting for them (I practically was :D).

Up till recently I was dealing with an organization that was ramping up its customer base dramatically and trying to help them solve some of their problems. It does happen.. scaling too far and too fast, pushing the numbers too hard. It could be possible that the U2 is selling as fast as they can make them, from what I hear, it seems to be the case.

And as has been said on some of the other forums, for every owner who reports a failure or issue, there are 10-20X more keeping quiet or enjoying their gear away from a computer. I'm posting not because I'm familiar with the other U2-problem threads (haven't even read them to be honest :D) and this is not directed at any particular user, so I see the purpose of this thread as counterbalancing, or giving owners who have had a hassle free experience a little bit of say, even if it's just one post. I'd like to reiterate.. my posts are not directed at anybody, so nobody needs to feel that it is :)

KevinL,

How much for your U2? $$$ :sold:

UKSFighter

Newly Enlightened
Mine works.... wife is now upset that it works in the middle of the night while she's trying to sleep. Thanks OP.

Steven

Edit: Oh yeah, mine is an original too. I got it before I decided to be a SF dealer. It was/is a main reason I made my decision to deal in lights.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
nc987 said:
No need to do a poll. Our sample size is far too small for any conclusions to be drawn. CPF members represent .00001%(exaggeration obviously) of all U2 owners worldwide.

My U2 worked again last night, i love it!

Here's the thing though, even if our sample size is too small to draw any conclusions it still seems odd that there are so many comments about the U2, especially the switch and "doughnut hole". There are other lights that had initial spates of activity about issues, the Gladius-Switch and intermittant operation leaps to mind, but it seems like chatter about the U2 continues on.

Having said that, I think the "doughnut hole" issue is overhyped too. I've handled something like 5 U2's since the passaround and all had slight "doughnut holes" that completely didn't matter in real world use.

AlecGold

Enlightened
@lightmeup81 all U2's have donutholes, it comes with the LuxV. I can only guess your donut has been really bad, but I never seen a donutless LuxV. Unles they are not really good centred. So a donut in a U2 is a little odd, but a good thing in a way.
I've had a good clickie, but I understand they didn't ask you to send the clickie back, before testing it, but they have send one right away?! They don't have to do that, they could ask you to send up the clickie, repair or replace it and send it back.
I broke the clip of my U2 in the french alps. My stupid mistake to try to put it on backwards (with the clip on the text-free side). They didn't make anyproblem of it, they just send a clip and the plastic retainer rightaway, no questions asked, no trouble, no expenses, just 6 day's later the clip came in!
Perhaps they have made some design-mistake in the clickie, perhaps a supplier of them gave a batch of bad clickies, who knows? Fact is they stand behind their product, give service as good as the can and make some expensive but very nice products!

And yes, my last U2 works very good, my girlfriend is watchin odly (Why are you blinking with your flashlight on a sunny afternoon, how bad is this collection-virus gonna get :D :D :D ) and I'm gonna sell the U2 sooner or later. I turned into an HDS EDC addict :)

Ice

Enlightened
That poll here is what we mathematicians call a "representative cross section"... :rock:
As a matter of fact, the lights that were bought from members of this forum are not spe4cifically selected in any way!
However there is one thing that could slightly change the outcome, namely that members of this forum are likely to make high demands to their lights (and e.g. to notice some slight doughnut hole more then "normal people"... :)).
ANyway, with more then 50 votes now that should be enough for some first statistics. :whistle: