Need 1AA Light Advice

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jetbeam RRT-0 with an AA extender seems pretty bad ***...any other contenders. I should have mentioned that price is not my main concern, performance is! Are there any 1xAA lights that can compete with this one that are no bigger? If not I'll have to order one of these too.

It is very nice except I hate the tail switch. It feels so spongey and requires quite a deep push to activate the switch. Considering the switch is recessed in the tail cap, it does make it a chore to switch on the light. If you don't need the strobe feature, go for Sunwayman V10R. I bought the Ti version and I love it. There's an AA extender for the Ti version too but I don't see a need for it. If I got to be carrying an AA extender for emergency in case my CR123 runs out of juice, why then can't I carry extra battery instead? The engineering quality of the Sunwayman felt better too.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Original poster wants a 1xAA sized light that has both adjustable brightness AND adjustable focus.

Unfortunately, there's almost nothing available that fits those requirements right now. There are plenty of adjustable brightness lights with 1xAA form factor in the 140-200 lumen range.... but NONE of them have adjustable focus. Adjustable focus seems to be a feature only used by a few non-budget manufacturers such as Wolf Eyes, LED Lenser, and Lenslight. Almost all other adjustable focus lights are low-quality budget lights. Definitely not reliable enough for professional law enforcement use.

Your best bet might be to wait a couple days. Supposedly LED Lenser's new models will be announced on June 1. Hopefully they'll add a 1xAA form-factor light with adjustable brightness, good regulation, and a modern emitter.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Read post #9
Original poster wants a 1xAA sized light that has both adjustable brightness AND adjustable focus.

Unfortunately, there's almost nothing available that fits those requirements right now. There are plenty of adjustable brightness lights with 1xAA form factor in the 140-200 lumen range.... but NONE of them have adjustable focus. Adjustable focus seems to be a feature only used by a few non-budget manufacturers such as Wolf Eyes, LED Lenser, and Lenslight. Almost all other adjustable focus lights are low-quality budget lights. Definitely not reliable enough for professional law enforcement use.

Your best bet might be to wait a couple days. Supposedly LED Lenser's new models will be announced on June 1. Hopefully they'll add a 1xAA form-factor light with adjustable brightness, good regulation, and a modern emitter.

igoman

Newly Enlightened
Do any of you guys still prefer the Fenix LD10 over the Zeabralight SC51 and why?

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd pick the sc51 over the ld10, reasons why are the new ld10 r5 has a smooth reflector that gives abit of a donut hole in the beam. The sc51 is brighter on nimh cells and has a moonlight mode.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do any of you guys still prefer the Fenix LD10 over the Zeabralight SC51 and why?

I think I prefer the Zebralight. However, the LD10 does have some nice features in comparison:
(1) the LD10 has a standard tailcap switch. It's not likely to turn on accidentally in your pocket. In contrast, the SC51 needs to have its tailcap locked out to prevent this.
(2) the LD10 has knurling, making it grippier. The SC51 is almost completely smooth. However, you can fix this on the SC51 by adding some grip tape in the middle.
(3) the LD10 isn't as bright, but it has more throw.

The SC51:
(1) is considerably smaller
(2) has a much better user interface - can access all three brightness settings with 1-2 clicks.
(3) has a better clip
(4) is brighter, but has less throw.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have both, and I like the zebralight more. Even though the zebralight can accidently get turned on in my pocket (which is my only gripe) I just like it more. The UI is the best around, great output choices, and it is the only light around that is this bright on a single AA NiMH.

igoman

Newly Enlightened
What about using the sc51 like a camp lantern? I need a light that I can use in a tent or on a table to stand like a candle to light up the room. I know that there are diffusers for the LD10 that you can attach to use the flashlight as a lantern, but what about the SC51?

BARBARIAN-X

Newly Enlightened
It is very nice except I hate the tail switch. It feels so spongey and requires quite a deep push to activate the switch. Considering the switch is recessed in the tail cap, it does make it a chore to switch on the light. If you don't need the strobe feature, go for Sunwayman V10R. I bought the Ti version and I love it. There's an AA extender for the Ti version too but I don't see a need for it. If I got to be carrying an AA extender for emergency in case my CR123 runs out of juice, why then can't I carry extra battery instead? The engineering quality of the Sunwayman felt better too.

Definitely a nice light but my preference for AA is because CR123's can't be purchased locally where I live and due to my remote location shipping takes 2-4 weeks so I have to always be thinking ahead for replacement batteries. I went through this a few years ago with my Surefire G2 and it was a pain.

BARBARIAN-X

Newly Enlightened

I was just on LED Lenser's site and I didn't see anything new. Where would they be advertised?

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The good thing about the Jetbeam RRT-0 is that it will run on AA, 14500, CR123, RCR123 batteries. It has been my most useful flashlight I have ever owned especially if you need to go from bright to low levels constantly.
Definitely a nice light but my preference for AA is because CR123's can't be purchased locally where I live and due to my remote location shipping takes 2-4 weeks so I have to always be thinking ahead for replacement batteries. I went through this a few years ago with my Surefire G2 and it was a pain.

Norman

Newly Enlightened
[...]my preference for AA is because CR123's can't be purchased locally[...]I went through this a few years ago with my Surefire G2 and it was a pain.

Well, speaking as the weirdo sitting in the middle of left field, may I be the first to not answer you question and ask one of my own?

Do you find your Surefire G2's performance to be somehow unacceptable for your needs? If not, have you considered rechargeable batteries and a charger? I'm the type who expects my batteries to die at any time, so I'd suggest 3-4 sets; One installed; one as a ready-spare, and the rest in your vehicle.

I believe Surefire's website had something that would carry batteries on your belt. Also, DealExtreme carries a waterproof case (that people actually report to keep out water) that holds 4-123A batteries. I ordered two of these cases, and plan on putting them at the bottom of a bucket of water for a few days (they should arrive in the next week or two). Search for SKU 54458.

Not exactly the answer you're looking for, but hey, maybe I can save you $100 (batteries are "overhead", so they don't count, right?). :)

Latest posts