need a floating light for fishing in boat

peabody

Enlightened
Amazon is selling a cheap 28 lumen floater.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ND45HTO/?tag=cpf0b6-20

I was looking to purchase a floater with at least 500 lumen if not 1000 and a good moonlight mode. I know I can buy a bobber keychain that will keep the flashlights I already own afloat but would rather not have all that and a flashlight in my pocket. The smaller the better. Any help would be appreciated.

peabody

Enlightened
That is still tough to get out of the pocket when it's 10-20 degrees outside and the water is 35 to 38 degrees and you have on lots of clothes. They probably don't make a decent light that floats. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Camo5

Newly Enlightened
Get a 18650 rear clicky like a nitecore rated for ip67 and shove it into a pool noodle

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
any 6v lantern is a floating light, but they are weak, usually no more than 100lm. i have converted one to use xpg led ,and made it run on 3x 18650. night and day difference. i also converted bunch of those lanters into multiled\multicolor lights. at night faom yellow floats glow in uv light, so you can see them better, some fishing line glows in uv as well.
some of those lights in this thread http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?262913-some-of-my-lights-pics-included&highlight=

however all those lights require sealed housing, and you can not dissapate much of heat leds make in sealed housing, i do not drive those leds with more than 800ma, but for short runs they can be driven hard, just have to be carefull, to shutthem off, or lower output after a while. in one light i installed t-stat that would lower the output when leds got too hot.

Last edited:

Lumenz

Enlightened
How about just attaching a long lanyard to the flashlight and attach the other end to you? That is what I do when I take my lights kayaking. If I float, they float.