Need a light for my mother-in-law

gottawearshades

Enlightened
Howdy, folks.

This is my first thread, and sure enough I'm using it to ask for recommendations for a light to buy.

My mother-in-law recently suffered from a stroke. She has returned home, and is not doing too badly, but she does need a walker to get around. She needs always has decided she always wants a flashlight for any time she has to get up at night (and also a cordless phone) on the tray of the walker.

Right now, she's using one of those square disposable lights, the kind I've seen attached to fireman's helmets. She'd like to upgrade, but none of the lights I own fit the bill.

She has some dexterity issues, and needs an easy click-type button, ON THE SIDE, and no twisties. (All my lights are twisties or tail clickies).

Aside from that, I think she needs ideally a good floody beam that will light up the whole floor, not too big but easy to grab, one light level, maybe two, and NO strobe or blinky stuff that will drive her crazy if she turns them on by accident.

Probably it should use AAs or something more common that 123As.

I've been looking online for a bit, but I haven't yet found the perfect light. The side-clicky thing and no strobe is giving me trouble.

Any suggestion you make would be a big help. (I think I recall a thread on this a similar topic some time ago, but I didn't think to pay attention at the time.)

Cheers

fleegs

Enlightened
Have you looked at MagLights for her? Seems like that is what she would want. If she plans to use it at night not much light is needed. Streamlight also has some with a side switch.

Good luck,
rob

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, for a small hand held light, I tend to agree with fleegs, maybe a 2 x C cell MagLED would work. Very reliable, familiar to most folks, long lasting, not that heavy, easily available, and relatively inexpensive.

However, I'm wondering if there might be a way to secure a headlamp to the front of her walker. I know that there are several available that have the buttons on top, so that might be just the ticket, along with the C cell Maglight for more directional lighting if needed.

You might consider checking out the headlamp forum for some ideas.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem with Mags is going to be the tail caps and her dexterity issues.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Without knowing her physical and mental condition, and depending upon the amount of dexterity she has, I'd suggest you look at an eternaLight from Technology Associates (www.techass.com). Some have a night light/night finder feature, the buttons are on top of the light, and while some have multiple features, they are easy to use and several have a power switch so shutting it off is not complicated. Several models have a magnet on the back so it wouldn't rattle around in the tray of her walker. Most allow for the attachment of a lanyard if you desire.

The best description of these lights is that they are shaped like a Star Trek phaser. They should easily fit into a pocket. They have LEDs on the front of the light and they are pretty durable even though they are exposed to some degree. They use AA's and the battery life is very good especially at lower levels but they do need a screwdriver to remove the cover. Some of them seem a bit pricey and they do look different, but having one in your hand for a few minutes really lets you see that they are very well thought out and very easy to use. Check out the user instructions on the web site. Remember that you don't have to use all the features and they are pretty easy to cycle through and reset if needed.

One other note, when you go to their web site do not be confused with the "out of stock" notations. At first glance it appears that most are out of stock until you realize that often they are referring to models that have been traded in and refurbished.

gottawearshades

Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

Please keep them coming. I want to take my time finding the right light here.

I hadn't look at UK lights before; You're right, the switch looks easy. That might work. Definitely fits the KISS bill, and some of them are focusable, so maybe it would be floody enough.

I also considered a Mag, but I want to see how heavy they are.

Cognitively, btw, she's mostly unaffected, but one thing I've learned about a stroke is that it makes you unhappy and irritable.

I appreciate the help, folks, I'm not a doctor, so I am looking for ways to actually help her.

Cheers.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
My suggestion would be to get any inexpensive plastic 2 cell incan flashlights and go to Sears and buy an LED PR based replacement bulb. The plastic will be lighter for her and they usually have large side switches. If you put some Scotch tape or other diffusion material under the plastic lens you'll have a nice floody easy to use light.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, it's actually not easy to come up with good solutions given all the needs.

One thought I had was the Streamlights. Unfortunately, the most obvious choice (say a 4xAA propoly) has the button on the tailcap.

I found two types of twintask Streamlights, a 3xC and a 2xD. These combine xenon and LED lights and give plenty of low and high lumen options that you cycle through just by pressing the button again.

Plus the LEDs give long life so if she likes the LED light, she can go for long periods without needing to change the batteries (a big plus for her situation). If she prefers the incan light output, that, too, is there for her.

The one disadvantage - the 3xC and 2xD add up to higher weight, although it is not unreasonable especially in comparison with some of the maglites, since they are polymer bodies.

The weight for the 3xC formfactor is 1 lb, and 1.4 lbs for the 2xD. If the weight is not a problem, these would be good choices I think. See link below for specs, operating instruction sheets, etc:

http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=44

http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=45

Another option could be the Angelux Molle design, which has the 90 degree angled head which is actually very convenient to carry around. You can get a modded one from Elektrolumens with one of the newer LEDs to get much better output and great runtimes. The button is indeed on the side for this one. Again, with a 2xD formfactor, it's not going to be a very light flashlight. (there is a Pentagon molle design with much lower output, and also weight, but it has the button on the top and not on the side--to me it would seem that it wouldn't be too difficult to press it down with a thumb).

Last edited:

BillG

Newly Enlightened
get her a SL TL3 incan. it uses 3xcr123 cells. make sure one of the cells is COMPLETELY drained. make sure the cells are of chinese manufacture. wish her a happy new year!

HA HA..................only kidding. :) :)

gottawearshades

Enlightened
Yes, it is hard to find the perfect match with her criteria.

I'm looking at Streamlight task lights, and C-cell mags, and UK.

For now, I gave her one of my PT Tec 40s, with the twisty cap lubed really well, and she seems happy with it for the moment. In fact, it's the ONLY THING she has not complained about (unlike food:crazy:, weather:mecry:, wallpaper:shakehead) in the past week, which I should count as a victory.

With any luck, she will be switching from the walker to a cane in a month or so, so we don't want to pimp out the walker too much, to make it too attractive.

Thanks everybody for your suggestions.

Cheers.

cobalt

Newly Enlightened
The light she is currently using (fits on a fireman's helmet) is what I buy for my mother and father; however, I buy the new LED model which is brighter than the old model, and the battery lasts much longer as well. These lights stay beside their pillows at night, and are easy to find in the dark.

You might consider a plug in night light or two, or even motion sensor lights. A handheld light is not always the best option for an elderly person who has to use a walker.

gottawearshades

Enlightened
We do have a bunch of night lights in the house.

The flashlight is really to serve as a security blanket.

Then again, I don't use all my flashlights every day either:whistle:.

Cheers.

buckhunter69

Newly Enlightened
definitly a maglite they last along time there cheep they should put out plenty of light iwould say a minimag but it has a twist top or some kind of led that run on 123's would be a good decision

buckhunter69

Newly Enlightened
a uk light would also be a good decision i have a 4aa it should be all she would need and it also has a click button