Need a new job, sort of.

turbodog

Flashaholic
I'm having a difficult time understanding this sentiment.

It sounds like complaints of having been successful enough to be able to retire comfortably ?

Building a profitable business requires great focus, but all of that energy and effort may have afforded you a rare opportunity to think and act more broadly.

In any case, I wish you the best of luck.

If I'm going to keep working... then maybe I could not have worked as hard for all this time. More vacations and all. When the business started, I went 8 years w/o a vacation. Most vacations since then are 2-3 years apart.

turbodog

Flashaholic
You've mentioned cycling and travel in a couple of posts here ....

What about cycling through all fifty states ?

Or organizing some sort of a big cycling event ? (sorry, I don't know much about cycling, but something like a race or a rally or whatever) . Maybe could be a fundraiser for a charity with meaning for you ?

Or any of a million other combinations of your interests ?

Trying to brainstorm, so help us out here ;)

Maybe catch some of the 50 states on a bike...

This situation reminds me of something I have said to my wife (many time) concerning one of my clients who happens to be a ridiculously wealthy person.

If someone were to hand you $50M tomorrow what would you do?
Of course payoff debt.
Then vacation all over the globe.
That would keep you (this client) busy for a couple of years.
But what then?
Why would you even get out of bed?
With that much money (billion, not just 50M), and a full head of hair, would could put together a team to put you in the white house in 5 years.
(Trump proved you don't even need a full head of hair!)

I volunteer with local STEM classes at schools, but that's limited to evenings, and then only like once/week.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
If I'm going to keep working... then maybe I could not have worked as hard for all this time. More vacations and all. When the business started, I went 8 years w/o a vacation. Most vacations since then are 2-3 years apart.

Respectfully speaking, I don't think looking backwards is likely to either answer your question or improve your outlook.

I suggest that you rather enjoy your success while respecting the sacrifices needed for that to happen.

BVH

Flashaholic
I'm 67 and retired 12 years ago from an upper-middle management job with 75 employees and a 13 million annual budget in my divisions and am still somewhat bored - or maybe another way of saying it is I don't have enough to keep me busy. Some of the tools I have in the box are: I bought a large hobby lathe and vertical mill and use them once in a while to make unobtainable parts. I volunteer twice a week at a Hospice related non-profit thrift store where I repair, clean and polish up mechanical, electrical, furniture and toy donations and perform all kinds of building maint. I try to cycle 2 or three times a week on 30 mile rides. I hire a personal trainer for workouts in my garage 3 times a week. We moved into a house in 2010 and gutted it so there's nothing around the house to do. We don't care to travel so that's out. For a couple of years, I bought non-working Sorensen telecom grade programmable 1KW, 3KW and 4 KW DC power supplies off of Ebay because I found I loved diagnosing and repairing them. Ended up buying about 50, repairing 33 of them and re-selling them for a total $3,000 profit. Prices changed so much that it wasn't possible to break even any longer. I'm still waiting for more opportunities to fall in my lap.....ha ha, like that's gonna happen.

turbodog

Flashaholic
I'm 67 and retired 12 years ago from an upper-middle management job with 75 employees and a 13 million annual budget in my divisions and am still somewhat bored - or maybe another way of saying it is I don't have enough to keep me busy. Some of the tools I have in the box are: I bought a large hobby lathe and vertical mill and use them once in a while to make unobtainable parts. I volunteer twice a week at a Hospice related non-profit thrift store where I repair, clean and polish up mechanical, electrical, furniture and toy donations and perform all kinds of building maint. I try to cycle 2 or three times a week on 30 mile rides. I hire a personal trainer for workouts in my garage 3 times a week. We moved into a house in 2010 and gutted it so there's nothing around the house to do. We don't care to travel so that's out. For a couple of years, I bought non-working Sorensen telecom grade programmable 1KW, 3KW and 4 KW DC power supplies off of Ebay because I found I loved diagnosing and repairing them. Ended up buying about 50, repairing 33 of them and re-selling them for a total $3,000 profit. Prices changed so much that it wasn't possible to break even any longer. I'm still waiting for more opportunities to fall in my lap.....ha ha, like that's gonna happen.

I was thinking of slowing down about 10 years ago and hit a very serious health issue. Got some help/surgery, but realized I needed to work like mad while I still could and sock away some money. There's no telling when/if my problem will come back.

At this point, if it was coming back, it probably would have. So I'm hopefully past it, and then, due to the virus, I'm thrust into practical joblessness/retirement. Can't imagine not working...

At this point, I think I will approach some of my favorite clients and see if a part time gig can be hammered out with them. Not in IT, but maybe something else. Some of those people are enjoyable to be around...