Need advice on lanterns

boondongle

Newly Enlightened
I go camping once or twice a year, and until recently, I had a nice Coleman gas powered lantern. That lantern got destroyed, and I'm looking for a replacement. I was just going to buy another propane lantern, since they give out better lighting than any flashlight I've come across. But I figured I'd check in with other CPFers, and see if there's anything battery powered that might be as good. Then I wouldn't mind using it indoors.

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?
I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)
Less than $100.

3) Format:
I want a lantern.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:
N/A

5) Emitter/Light source:
LED
Incandescent
HID

6) Manufacturer:
I would consider getting a light that is pieced together (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source). Under the right circumstances, this option can provide more options to the consumer to meet specific needs.

7) What battery type do you want to use?
I intend to use rechargeable lithium (li-ion) chemistry. Feel free to specify a size if you know which size you want (14500, RCR123/16340, 17500, 17670, 18650, etc.)
I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery. (Note: these choices may be very limited unless you are looking at spotlights)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).
I walk ridiculous amounts of lumens (800+ lumens).

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.
50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).
3 hours + (I critically need this light to run for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.
Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):
I don't care.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.
A simple on-off is fine for me.
I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
I want a selector ring.

14)Material/Finish/Coating
I don't care.

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.
None

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
First off the highest output LED lantern is about 600 lumens, so in order to get 800 or more you will have to adapt something more powerful to lantern use or go with gas or propane. They may in the future start making more powerful LED lanterns that will use rechargable systems but that will push the $100 boundry pretty hard IMO. If you look at flashlights that put out 800+ lumens they can skyrocket in price into the hundreds pretty quick. Most are using 18650s, some in parallel/series to double runtime, by the time you adapt a lantern head to them you can buy several gas lanterns and a lot of gas for them.

Last edited:

Colinsdad

Newly Enlightened
I do ALOT of camping and nightfishing myself, and have found the following items VERY useful:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002GQEWJG/?tag=cpf0b6-20

I know this item is certainly not what you are looking for, but, it scores big marks with me in the "handiness department"! I find it has enough throw on the lantern feature to light up a tent or the immediate area, and the carabiner makes it rather accessable.

My girlfriend purchased this item recently before our last excursion:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0018S4XIS/?tag=cpf0b6-20

And, it works quite well. Mind you, I doubt VERY highly that it puts out 300 lumens, but, it is comparable in brightness (if not a little brighter) to the single globe "Mighty Mite" single filament propane light I carried with me backpacking for years.

Another issue that came up with another LED lantern I had that I lent out (and wasnt returned for awhile), was the long term storage with the batteries. The batteries WILL leak if left in the lantern for an extended period, so remember to take them out of the unit if you are not using it. Otherwise, I have to say that I find battery powered lights to be rather handy, as long as you realize their limitations. Good luck!:thumbsup:

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Coleman 8D Twin LED High Performance lantern on order. It should be here in time for a 4 day camping trip I'm going on this coming weekend. I have 8 D size NiMH batteries waiting to go in.

I'll let you know what I think of it after I get a chance to use it on an actual camping trip.

You may also be interested in a similar thread that I started here.

Last edited:

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Coleman's current high end propane lanterns (Northstar and Pinnacle) output around 1500 lumens on high, if memory serves. I still like using the propane for the warm campfire-ish glow and comforting sound outdoors. I use all manner of led lanterns indoors/tents etc.

boondongle

Newly Enlightened
So it sounds like having an LED lantern with anywhere near the output of a propane lantern is not even an option. Thanks for the information and suggestions...I'm probably going to need to rethink this.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
no battery powered lantern will give you output close to gas dual mantle one. not yet.
i have 8d rayovac twin tube fluorescent 18w lantern, it can't even come close to my Coleman gas lantern.

Latest posts