Need help choosing Digital Camera

TOB9595

Enlightened
Zorba, In addition to the lack of accessories in the package. Beware of units that
are real cheap but are not backed up with a USA warranty. Ya gotta be real sharp to watch these guys.

Ratus, This is an excellent idea.
I think that the docking station would, may or probably be separated from the camera at some point.
Why can't we just keep the equipment together you may ask?
I never could figure this out. Maybe cause there's a lack of responsibility or accountibility.
I am POSITIVE that the equipment would become separated. Especially if the camera is seldom used.

Tom

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought a Fuji S5000. Turn it on and point and shoot. It uses 4 AA's. It has 10X optical, 2X digital, zoom and has 3 MP res. The one downside to me is it does not have a flip out LCD viewer. This is my first digetal camera and I found it easy to use.

On a side note, the Canon A70 does have very good reviews.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Or what about a different path. How about a Floppy or CD Sony Maciva. They take fairly decent pics on commonly available media and they're nice and big and chunky.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tom, another thing you can do is go to www.dpreview.com , register, and post your question in the Canon and/or other manufacturers forums. There's generally quite a bit of feedback on those forums.

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tom:
I have an Olympus, and recently bought one for a friend.
You might want to check out this:
Olympus 400
Stylish, weather resistant all metal body, 4 megapixel, 3x optical zoom digital camera.
Link: http://www.danscamera.com/Products/digital_cameras/listings/camera.php?item=1316

Whatever you go for, definately check out a review BEFORE buying. Link to review of this camera: http://www.dcviews.com/_Olympus/s400.htm

Tutorials are also available: http://www.dcviews.com/tutors.htm

P.S. Did you find your lighter?

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I have learned that I have to get a CF card reader/writer in order to use my Polaroid digital camera with Linux (PDC 640 CF). Only the PDC 640 (serial port only) is supported. No big deal, as the reader/writers are cheap enough.

TOB9595

Enlightened
Charles, I'd advise to get a multi card reader as you never know what other cards you may end up with /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Well I've kinda settled on a Canon A80.
Now I want one also.

I was gonna get the 70 cause of the lower price BUT
the folding led and 4 mp is the clincher.
Of course it may change for me if I come across something at a right price. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I've been to dpcreviews. Very informative.
There's is kinda tough to manuever around. Not as easy as most of the forums I go to.
They are very nice on the forum with a lot of good info.
I'm looking for other forums too.
Any links?
Tom

DougNel

Newly Enlightened
You're getting a lot of excellent advice, and can see that one size does not fit all. I will add two things for you to consider:

1) Take a look at Digital Photography Review I have found this to be an excellent site for general and specific recommendations.

2) I am on my third digital camera, and after much experience and research settled on the Canon G1 some time ago and have not regretted a single thing about it (BTW, it is no longer available, having been replaced by the G2 and then the G3). A fantastic combo of a Ph.D. model (aka, "Push Here Dummy") with custom features available, if you want. Excellent optics, great battery life, and beautiful output. Take a look at some of the comparitive reviews including the Canon "G" series before making a choice.

Good Hunting.

TOB9595

Enlightened
I ordered
4 Canon A80 cameras from Circuit city $399
4 512 mb compact flash from Amazon $114
4 6 in 1 card readers from Amazon $27

I ordered from the above folk for expediency. When I get my A80 I'll be more price conscious. I have multi several card readers.
I probably won't order my A80 from Circuit city.
I will be on the outlook for prices. I always have good fortune ordering from Amazon.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR INPUT.!!!!

Tom

Saaby

Flashaholic
Doug...Tob...

Earlier this year I got a bee in my bonnet and decided I wanted my own Digi cam (Sick of borrowing my dads). Only problem is the more I researched the more expensive of a camera I wanted /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif if I wasn't absolutely hellbent against a digital SLR (Too big for casual cary) I'm sure that's what I would have eventually settled on. I DID settle, however, on a Canon G2. I really liked the G1, but the G2 is everything the G1 was and more--and there are still some for sale (Mostly refurbs). Lots cheaper than a G3 (I think--I'm afraid to get any info on the G3 as I might think that's what I need)

TOB9595

Enlightened
Saaby, is the G2 a pocketable carry?

Geepondy the kodak that Brock and ratus describe is excellent for folk that will leave the dock station connected. I've seen knife pics from the Kodak modelx? with docking station. They were excellent.
Tom

DougNel

Newly Enlightened
RE: Canon G1 or G2.... Plenty of choices for both of these on Ebay in the $200 to $300 range. I find that 3 megapixels is more than enough for my needs and an upgrade to get 4 or 5 doesn't tempt me. I do pine for the G2's extended movie mode, however, as the G1's is limited to 30 seconds.

Saaby

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
TOB9595 said:
Saaby, is the G2 a pocketable carry?

[/ QUOTE ]

I said casual not pocketable /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif it's hardly pocketable, but still a fair bit cheaper and smaller than a SLR!

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm waiting for the Canon G6 to be released myself (rumored Dec.). Faster focusing and shot to shot times are my highest priorities in my next digicam and they are improving on that as witnessed by the release of the Minolta A1, an upgrade to the 7 series. Sony is releasing an 8 megapixel four color ccd, the 828, very soon as well but the camera size is too big for me. The two cameras I just mentioned retail for roughly a grand so not for the casual user. The Canon A80 is an excellent camera and I think good value for the money but if one doesn't mind a bigger size, the G3 is not too much more expensive these days and has more manual features along with a faster lens as well as a hotshoe for an external flash. I almost bought one earlier this year but decided it wasn't a significant upgrade from my 3 megpixel tried and true Nikon CP990. These are great times to be buying a digicam. My Nikon 3 megpixel CP990 cost me $950 just three years ago.

paulr

Flashaholic
If you want a no hassle camera get a Sony Mavica which takes floppy discs. That's the favorite of real estate agents, police departments, other folks who need to take photos for work but don't want to mess with photography or software for one second more than they have to. The beauty of the Mavica is it uses ordinary floppies. Pop the disc out of the drive and into your computer. No software drivers or card readers to install. No memory chips to buy. They're not the most compact or highest resolution cameras in the world, but their autofocus works well (all that camcorder experience), they have a good big LCD monitor and they take good pictures.

TOB9595

Enlightened
Well the 4 Canon A80 w 512 CF card got to the boss. He delivered one to my site on Tuesday just in time for my 3 day trip to Cape May, NJ.
Course he just dropped off the camera, no manual. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

This is a WOW!!!! camera.

Everything I was looking for. Out of the box on AUTO setting the pics are phenomenal.
Crisp, clear detail out of this world.
I tried to use the no flash setting with some good results for some pics of geometrics, etc.

If you were thinking of a camera, you won't go wrong here.
I don't know if all 4 meg camera's are as precise but WOW!!!!

Now I'm awaiting the Canon printer to come, the i190c. I think.

Thanks all. I'm now getting into the digital photo area with a vengeance. I love it.

Thanks to you all
Tom

ftumch33

Enlightened
I wouldn`t bother with the mavicas for the simple fact that the batteries ALWAYS crap out after a few uses. I`m not sure whether it`s the batteries or a glitch with the camera. I fully discharge the batteries before fully charging them but I don`t get more than 3 shots before the camera displays `low battery` and shuts off. Could be my batteries? Maybe my camera? Tell you what it is...a crappy camera. We have the same mavicas` at work as I do at home and they all have the same problem. Save yourself a headache and go with something else. I`m in the middle of getting another camera, either a cannon s400 or something else that will accept other lenses ( maybe the G5).