NEED HELP CHOOSING TIRES

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, the more research, the better... but I remember Consumer Reports doing a comparison between about 7 cheap sports cars... Honda Prelude, Mazda MX-6, Ford Probe GT and the like. Keeping in mind, the MX-6 and the Ford Probe are essentially the exact came car underneath the sheetmetal, they gave the MX-6 the highest reliability ratings and the Ford Probe next to the lowest.

Again, the more research the better... and I honestly mean that... but personally, I wouldn't take Consumer Reviews opinion on a toaster oven.

nana.gif

C4LED

Enlightened
cratz2 said:
Well, the more research, the better... but I remember Consumer Reports doing a comparison between about 7 cheap sports cars... Honda Prelude, Mazda MX-6, Ford Probe GT and the like. Keeping in mind, the MX-6 and the Ford Probe are essentially the exact came car underneath the sheetmetal, they gave the MX-6 the highest reliability ratings and the Ford Probe next to the lowest.

Again, the more research the better... and I honestly mean that... but personally, I wouldn't take Consumer Reviews opinion on a toaster oven.

nana.gif

They did another one also... not sure of the time frame though. It may be back aways in time (I doesn't seem like that long ago, but it probably is!). :whistle: :laughing:

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here and there the car magazines do actual tests of various tires. You might check their web sites and see if you can dig any up. Also Tirerack also does some also - not to be confused with their user feedback. Real performance tests.

The only downside is you are probably going to be lucky to find the specific tires you are considering - there don't do these for every tire - and even if you find ones you are considering, it is unlikely that they will be compared against other ones you are considering.

But then again, you might get lucky.

-john

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've done some research recently and it seems to me that of the major brands, Bridgestone offers the best performance for the price. I put the Revo's on my wife's car.

tirerack.com is a good place to do research on various tires. It is difficult to make comparisons between different brands completely black and white, but most major brands make good products these days. However they all make products that are geared towards traction, and other products geared towards quiet and comfort. The generally guideline is that you can have performance OR low price OR quiet and comfort. Pick which one you want, but if you compromise on performance then don't be so surprised some day in the future when you lose control and hit something.

If you are interested in safety and high speed driving, then you want something other than an SUV.

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to sell tires at Sams and I've forgotten alot but I do know that the Michelins that Powernoodle suggested did make alot of happy customers. I mean it was rare that we had to do mileage adjustments or other warranty adjustments on them. They can be pricey though , but then again I've been riding around on 2 tires with cracks around the entire sidewall. I guess I was shooting for a Darwin award but made it through till I put some uniroyals on a few weeks ago.

Oh and although this might be sexist but I don't think so cuz I've thought the same thing but, I'd imagine all Chocolate Lab wants the name of one or two tires that are reasonabley priced , reliable and will work well on her Blazer. I don't think she wants to become a tire expert. Could be wrong though.

I second Powernoodles nomination for the michelin lts.

Last edited:

ChocolateLab33

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks to everyone for your input! I decided to go with Bridgestone Dueler H/L tires. The place filled them with nitrogen, it's supposed to make them wear better and ride better and produce less moisture inside of them.
icon3.gif
I talked to a few different people that said it really makes a difference. I like the tires and the way they ride and already had the opportunity to test them in the snow (I hate snow by the way) Sunday and they really perform much better than the tires I had on the Blazer. I didn't slide at all and I drove exactly the way I did on the old tires. So I am happy so far. I have a 30 day trial on these tires. They will exchange them if I'm not happy with them.

Thanks Again Everyone!

Monolith

Enlightened
ChocolateLab33 said:
The place filled them with nitrogen
Nitrogen molecules are larger than air molecules and will leak out much more slowly than air, maintaining your air...that is....nitrogen pressure longer and more stable.