Need Help Selecting A Couple High Quality Snow Shovels

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahh, snow season. The seemingly innocent accumulation of trillions of crystal interlopers, fallen from above; the back strain and lifting from below; and the screech of tires and angry muttering when wheels slide on pavement. Yes, folks, snow season arrived early for those of us subject to the "October Snowstorm," though you wouldn't know it looking outside now. But don't let your guard down: I saw several hundred ice crystals gathering up high, chattering among themselves and planning another wintry assault...

Last edited:

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing I did with all my shovels that have metal handles (and the part that goes from the actual handle to to blade), is to wrap gaffers tape around them. You can also use friction tape, or any other kind of thick fabric tape. Wrap the metal like they do on road bike handle bars.

This does two things:

prevents the cold from the metal getting to your hands

and - prevents your gloved hands or bare hands from slipping along the metal shaft.

My Dad worked for the railroad and I still have a couple of old fashioned wood handle coal shovels. These have a long straight wooden handle and a metal blade. These are great for throwing heavy snow, the kind that gets a little wet. The larger snow shovels can get pretty heavy.

Any how - the tape on the handle and the metal shaft really makes a difference.

K A

Enlightened
Snow? What is this snow you speak of? It's been seriously warm and dry here in southern Kansas this year. At this rate we might not see ANY snow this year.

Rono8582

Newly Enlightened
I know this thread is old, but its new to me. Snowstorm Nemo here on Long Island NY dropped 30 inches on my house and property. Heavy and wet, and the plow, or lack there of, pushed it right up against my car after I dug it out.
the best shovel I have is nothing more than a grain scoop from ace hdwre. $10, red and fantastic. I bought it to shovel sand and gravel from putting in a patio, and When I ran out of shovels from helping friends I grabbed this. It cuts heavy stuff and leaves nice clean strokes. Great for uneven ground too!