Need help with reflector shape for DIY

Teax

Newly Enlightened
Folks,

after getting so much help for the question about which driver to use for an alternator application (Buckpuck) I am now one step further:

My 10 Cree 1W LEDs arrived and also the reflectors I ordered...

The application is lights for a kids ATV (must used super low power, thus LED).

The reflectors I got are crap. They are probably ok for some indoor use but not outdoors on an ATV ... I need something waterproof and robust.

I saw a thread where a guy made his own lights for a motorbike and want to go that route.

Essentially we are talking 2 houseings that hold 5 Leds each. 20 mm reflectors.

The question is what shape do I give the reflectors? Does it even matter?

As to the lights I envision aluminum blocks with reflectors machined out and a o ring sealed glass cover/lens (just flat glass).

The machined aluminum block will get poliched and chrome plated. I have access to CNC milling equipment and all that so the only thing I need is the shape of the reflector.

Please help by telling me what shape I need to use or where to find instructions (did search here but didnt find what I need)

Thanks!

Teax

dom

Enlightened
Last edited:

Teax

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the link! They do look nice but dont seem waterproof ...

The LEDs will be used as DRL on a kids ATV and to provide some light for driving at night ... beam pattern doesnt matter much but ideally is spread a little ...

:) Teax

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your best chance of having waterproof optics/reflectors are to put them in a waterproof box with a clear acrylic front on it. I can't find the present link for the 8° optics on KD's stupid site. They used to have them singly and in a ten pack. DX has a similar one in a ten pack (possibly described at a 10° optic) but I can't find it either. :(

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
TorchBoy is correct: no optic or reflector is waterproof or durable by itself. What they are is optically correct, and it's up to you, the housing designer, to make the device durable/waterproof/other requirements.

This is the KD link for the 8˚ optic 10-pack.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Luke! I thought of your portable light unit thing when I wrote my comment. Do you do any waterproofing for that?

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't, but it could certainly be done. If I was planning on waterproofing it from the start, I probably would have built it a little differently. To do it now, it'd take a couple of switch boots, a pair of plastic covers for the LEDs and the battery meter, and a couple of gaskets or silicone to seal the seams.