• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Need Modded Work? 2013 ;-) (Taking Orders Again)

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Re: vinhnguyen54 Need Modded Work? 2013 ;-)

I remember somebody in this forum said he made them a custom 6,500 lumen flooder, i wonder if they were talking about the apex or solarstorm

C'est Moi.

:D

Raging = Apex = Solarstorm IIRC

Five (5) XM-L U3's.

Its good for about 6-8 min of ~ 6,500 L, but, its driven at OVER 6 amps/LED using (4) 18650 IMR's to support the amp flow.

If I turn on a TN30, then the Raging, its like the TN30 isn't on anymore, the Raging beam completely overwhelms the TN30 beam.

If you want 30 min of run time, to handle the heat, you'd need to run it at a lower amp draw, and get a correspondingly lower L output...but for a longer time.

DSC_3345.jpg

DSC_3346.jpg

20121202_192848_HDR.jpg

20121202_145053_HDR.jpg

Its doing ~ 8,000 emitter lumens, the ~ 6,500 Lumens OTF was an estimate from that. (Not measured)

Vinh made it the end of last year IIRC, and I use it to spot check large areas at once....for which it is Taylor Made. (Vinh Made)

And, since Vinh is the MASTER at this stuff...I was wondering if I could get something like this:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ade-Triple-Nichia-219-Hi-CRI-Tiny-Monster-Mag

scaled.php

scaled.php

Last edited:

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

So TEEJ did u pick the Raging because it is better looking and more compact than the Apex & Solarstorm, but with the same potential of output? Easier to carry? I like the looks of the Raging too! So 6,500 lumens gets you 6-8 minutes of 6 amps on IMR batteries (no clue lol, gotta research IMR). I wonder how much lower my max lumens would have to drop down to in order to maintain max output for one hour. That's probably the balance I'd like to strike. So did u buy the Raging on your own then mail it to him to mod, or did you just tell him u wanted a modified Raging and he bought it, modified it, and charged you foreverything? Thanks for the help

TEEJ

Flashaholic

So TEEJ did u pick the Raging because it is better looking and more compact than the Apex & Solarstorm, but with the same potential of output? Easier to carry? I like the looks of the Raging too! So 6,500 lumens gets you 6-8 minutes of 6 amps on IMR batteries (no clue lol, gotta research IMR). I wonder how much lower my max lumens would have to drop down to in order to maintain max output for one hour. That's probably the balance I'd like to strike. So did u buy the Raging on your own then mail it to him to mod, or did you just tell him u wanted a modified Raging and he bought it, modified it, and charged you foreverything? Thanks for the help

Those are all the same as each other...generic Chinese lights are like clones of each other, other than what's printed on the side, they're the same. Of course, even if they are printed the same, the insides could be different too, as the same name light (Skyray, Apex, Solarstorm, and so forth) might be made to about any spec on any given day, in any given box, etc.

Anyway, Vinh had some APEX/Solarstorm, etc, lights he modded with new switches, drivers and leds, with massive heat sinking, etc...so he's really just using the shell, everything inside's been replaced/upgraded.

We discussed the amps, and, when I said ~ 6.2 amps or so would be the drive level for the U3's, and the data sheet said 6 amps was ~ 1,600 L/U3 ..... times 5 U3's = ~ 8,000 L.

He tested it for heat dissipation, and said 6 minutes would be the max HE'D run it for....at that drive level. (Its direct drive)

So, essentially, he had a modded light that would do what I needed it to, and, I bought it.

If you want an hour of run time, you'd limit the amps to maybe 1/2 what I was using?

Vinh could tell you, as whatever heat sinking he was able to do for it would impact the thermal limits for example.

Last edited:

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks, i'll have to ask him some question. I think your light it a good looking model I saw one for $68

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

On another train of thought Vinh would u be up for modifying my TM26 is that something u would do? Maybe put the improved XM-L2 on it, maybe do some other high tech thing to it that's totally over my head?

TEEJ - What beam angle is your modified Raging?

Last edited:

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

So the short version of this is you want a compact massive lumen light above 3500 lumen with a multi mode where low runs longer than 30 minutes? HMMM well I honestly think a Zebralight S6330 is closest to what you are looking for.

Hello Vinhnguyen54. Can you make me a great flood flashlight that is superior to the 3,500 lumen Nitcore TM26? I'm not technical, but using all of the fancy state of the art techniques like copper bonding, the BEST emitters for flood, best drivers etc. I know that you are limited to size, how many floody lumens do you think you can pack into approximately a 4 to 6 18650 battery flashlights? Width wise I'd rather have the entire thing equally fat like a TM26 then have a disproportionally huge head. Length wise maybe about up to 8 inches, but i am flexible on that (I want it to be able to be on my hip). I do not care to have a 3 minute short lived turbo mode, I want 2 or 3 outputs and if the highest output can't hold for at least 30 minutes than I'd rather not have it at all (For example, the Fenix TK75 can hold it's highest setting for 58 minutes). Beam angle? Obviously wide but let me know what the lumen output pros & cons would be for a few different degrees please. Durability, i don't need anything spectacular but i would just like to have a light that won't break if dropped (perhaps some soft outer coating?). Thank you

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

On another train of thought Vinh would u be up for modifying my TM26 is that something u would do? Maybe put the improved XM-L2 on it, maybe do some other high tech thing to it that's totally over my head?

TEEJ - What beam angle is your modified Raging?

The TM26 uses a digital switch which mean the electronics have to stay. All that light can benefit from is a XML2 LED upgrade and perhaps Mmount the LEDs on Copper if it's not already. Unless you want to mod for a new tint I would say it's not worth it.

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

So the short version of this is you want a compact massive lumen light above 3500 lumen with a multi mode where low runs longer than 30 minutes? HMMM well I honestly think a Zebralight S6330 is closest to what you are looking for.

No i meant where 'high' runs longer than 30 minutes. TEEJ's mod was 6,500 lumens for 6-8 minutes, so this is what i'm wondering; if I go with the TEEJ model but you decrease the 6,500 lumen high mode, how will the decrease of lumen output proportionally cause (high) an increase in runtime? In other words if I drop lumens from 6,500 to 4,000 how much will 6-8 minutes of runtime increase due to the sacrifice of decreasing 2,500 lumens? I hear that Fenix TK75 is a flashlight known for holding it's high mode (2,600 lumens) for 58 minutes. Is it possible that u can make me a mod that holds 4,000 lumens for that amount of time? (Or at least between 30 and 60 minutes)

That Zebralight is right up my alley but I was hoping to have something like that but on steroids!! And i'd be willing to deal with more size also. I'm not sure if u were suggesting that I just buy a S6330 or if you're suggesting that I buy a S6330 for you to modify (For u to inject it with steroids YEAH!!!!!)

Last edited:

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

6-8 minutes per bursts. The light needs to cool down so you can run it again. I can do a L-M-H with High 6000 lumen but Medium and Low has visible PWM :-(

The S660 has a wonderful UI. I wouldnt touch that light. :)

No i meant where 'high' runs longer than 30 minutes. TEEJ's mod was 6,500 lumens for 6-8 minutes, so this is what i'm wondering; if I go with the TEEJ model but you decrease the 6,500 lumen high mode, how will the decrease of lumen output proportionally cause (high) an increase in runtime? In other words if I drop lumens from 6,500 to 4,000 how much will 6-8 minutes of runtime increase due to the sacrifice of decreasing 2,500 lumens? I hear that Fenix TK75 is a flashlight known for holding it's high mode (2,600 lumens) for 58 minutes. Is it possible that u can make me a mod that holds 4,000 lumens for that amount of time? (Or at least between 30 and 60 minutes)

That Zebralight is right up my alley but I was hoping to have something like that but on steroids!! And i'd be willing to deal with more size also. I'm not sure if u were suggesting that I just buy a S6330 or if you're suggesting that I buy a S6330 for you to modify (For u to inject it with steroids YEAH!!!!!)

TEEJ

Flashaholic

The S6330 is ~ 2,700 L, super compact (less than 4" long) and I love mine (Just got it yesterday). :D

The Raging's beam angle is wide, its a total flooder. (5 small diameter shallow reflectors, with XML2's...)

Again, to get ~4k lumens for an hour, you'd need a larger light to handle the heat, and, a lower drive level per LED, and so forth. The Olight X6 might be about right, as suggested to you in this scenario earlier.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

X6 Maurader sounds good :)

The S6330 is ~ 2,700 L, super compact (less than 4" long) and I love mine (Just got it yesterday). :D

The Raging's beam angle is wide, its a total flooder. (5 small diameter shallow reflectors, with XML2's...)

Again, to get ~4k lumens for an hour, you'd need a larger light to handle the heat, and, a lower drive level per LED, and so forth. The Olight X6 might be about right, as suggested to you in this scenario earlier.

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

6-8 minutes per bursts. The light needs to cool down so you can run it again. I can do a L-M-H with High 6000 lumen but Medium and Low has visible PWM :-(

The S660 has a wonderful UI. I wouldnt touch that light. :)

Hmm, good point. And how many lumens is medium? And how much does that light cost? Yeah X-6 is awesome but bigger than i'd like. Basically what i was asking for only exists in the future lol.

i do remember u telling me about the X6 TEEJ i was just hoping i could find a smaller option some how

Last edited:

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

Medium is 30% and low is 10% of High. I believe this mod should be $190 if you want to go XML2.

Hmm, good point. And how many lumens is medium? And how much does that light cost? Yeah X-6 is awesome but bigger than i'd like. Basically what i was asking for only exists in the future lol.

i do remember u telling me about the X6 TEEJ i was just hoping i could find a smaller option some how

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'll take it! So Hi - 6,000, Med - 1,800, Low - 600, ok. So how does it work do I buy the flashlight and mail it to you or do you have pre-modified lights on hand that u just charge me extra for?

I see a patern here TEEJ, all i do is follow u around and order everything that u have lol, u have great taste

Last edited:

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Vinh, I emailed you just now about a KROMA non-milspec mod. Just wanted to give you a heads up about it. Thanks.

gravelrash

Enlightened

Hey Vinh, I just sent a Paypal payment for the HDS mod that we discussed via email, and am on my way to the post office now. Thanks - I'm looking forward to seeing your work!
--
Hal

TEEJ

Flashaholic

I'll take it! So Hi - 6,000, Med - 1,800, Low - 600, ok. So how does it work do I buy the flashlight and mail it to you or do you have pre-modified lights on hand that u just charge me extra for?

I see a patern here TEEJ, all i do is follow u around and order everything that u have lol, u have great taste

LOL

BTW - He includes the light in that price typically...if he has it/can get it easily enough, etc.

Its a lot of work to resolder/replace everything in the OEM shells, and it's that labor of love you are buying more than the light itself.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

I just did some calculations and it came out to $32 labor overall. So I cant pursue that project anymore. I am very sorry for the bad quote on my end.

LOL

BTW - He includes the light in that price typically...if he has it/can get it easily enough, etc.

Its a lot of work to resolder/replace everything in the OEM shells, and it's that labor of love you are buying more than the light itself.

TEEJ

Flashaholic

I just did some calculations and it came out to $32 labor overall. So I cant pursue that project anymore. I am very sorry for the bad quote on my end.

Hmmm...$190 of which $32 is labor?

What, are you charging $2/hr now?

Latest posts