• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Need Modded Work? 2013 ;-) (Taking Orders Again)

tjhabak

Enlightened
Re: Need Modded Work? 2013 ;-)

Just got my modded/de-domed EagleTAC SX25L3 back in the mail. Wow! I love this thing now, and I really liked it before. Tint is fantastic, and the hot spot is just right for me. It's similar to an XML in a 2x18650 thrower. Spill is still huge and bright as well. It's the perfect combination of flood and throw. I wholeheartedly recommend this to anyone with an SX25L3. You will not be disappointed. I can't wait til dark now.....:D

donn_

Flashaholic

Just got my modded/de-domed EagleTAC SX25L3 back in the mail. Wow! I love this thing now, and I really liked it before. Tint is fantastic, and the hot spot is just right for me. It's similar to an XML in a 2x18650 thrower. Spill is still huge and bright as well. It's the perfect combination of flood and throw. I wholeheartedly recommend this to anyone with an SX25L3. You will not be disappointed. I can't wait til dark now.....:D

+1! My SX25L3vn came home today, as well. It's a huge improvement over what was already an excellent light. Tint, throw and overall output are all vastly improved.

Great mod, great price and fantastic turnaround time!

:thanks:

LeukTech

Newly Enlightened

Everything gets more yellow/neutral when dedome. I have both 3C and 4C

Sounds good, at the advice of Diablo, I will go for the 3C, that way it won't be too warm after dedome. I got shipping confirmation today, and the light should arrive on Monday. I will send a PM and Paypal after I decide the light is worth keeping.

Now I have read that flattop 18650's won't work with this light, has this changed since the light initially released? All my 18650's are flattop AW's, and I figure I could put a small magnet on the button so it makes contact. Although this would be less than ideal. Do you think it would be possible for you to add a blob of solder on the contact point of the light so it can work with flattops?

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

Sounds good, at the advice of Diablo, I will go for the 3C, that way it won't be too warm after dedome. I got shipping confirmation today, and the light should arrive on Monday. I will send a PM and Paypal after I decide the light is worth keeping.

Now I have read that flattop 18650's won't work with this light, has this changed since the light initially released? All my 18650's are flattop AW's, and I figure I could put a small magnet on the button so it makes contact. Although this would be less than ideal. Do you think it would be possible for you to add a blob of solder on the contact point of the light so it can work with flattops?

I can do anything u want. Just make the special request when you order. :)

donn_

Flashaholic

+1! My SX25L3vn came home today, as well. It's a huge improvement over what was already an excellent light. Tint, throw and overall output are all vastly improved.

Great mod, great price and fantastic turnaround time!

:thanks:

Interesting discovery. Freshly charged Eagletac 3400 cells won't drive this light at the highest level, but Fasttech Pannys will. Before the mod, I ran it on the Eagletacs.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

Interesting discovery. Freshly charged Eagletac 3400 cells won't drive this light at the highest level, but Fasttech Pannys will. Before the mod, I ran it on the Eagletacs.

I am experimenting with soem very good high drian cells. Very suitable for mt 5600 Lumen light :)

InfinitusEquitas

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have not seen an ea8 but i think i can. $65 to Brunei.

The MTG2 AA light you modded for me, was originally an EA8. Old Lumens posted that it was a major pain to get the head off due to tons of loctite, and he scratched the head badly as a result, but aside from that it seemed pretty straight forward.

I have another stock EA8 I wouldn't mind getting modded. I'll send it to you with the next package.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

The MTG2 AA light you modded for me, was originally an EA8. Old Lumens posted that it was a major pain to get the head off due to tons of loctite, and he scratched the head badly as a result, but aside from that it seemed pretty straight forward.

I have another stock EA8 I wouldn't mind getting modded. I'll send it to you with the next package.

:)

xed888

Enlightened

How did the mod go? Using stock driver? How much lumens on the mtg?

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey Wayne,

Have you worked on a Mr. Bulk Lion Cub before? Not sure if I want to trade it to acquire another light I am in search of or to upgrade it. Should I keep it, I was thinking of an emitter swap (de-domed neutral XP-E2) but was also wondering if it would be possible to bump output without altering it's UI, and upgrade lens/reflector (would prefer to keep smooth)?

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

Hey Wayne,

Have you worked on a Mr. Bulk Lion Cub before? Not sure if I want to trade it to acquire another light I am in search of or to upgrade it. Should I keep it, I was thinking of an emitter swap (de-domed neutral XP-E2) but was also wondering if it would be possible to bump output without altering it's UI, and upgrade lens/reflector (would prefer to keep smooth)?

I have never seen this light. Can you send to me for review?

stevenkelby

Enlightened

What's the problem with S6330? I have had it apart to get at the emitters but see it's impossible to go further as it's all potted.

Do you think it would be possible to swap emitters if you had 2 people with soldering irons, just remove and replace the emitters?

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

What's the problem with S6330? I have had it apart to get at the emitters but see it's impossible to go further as it's all potted.

Do you think it would be possible to swap emitters if you had 2 people with soldering irons, just remove and replace the emitters?

Heat sink too fast. I cant heat blow them out.

stevenkelby

Enlightened

Makes sense. How about 2 soldering irons on the solder points, and a friend with a pair of tweezers to remove the emitter? I have 2 irons, might try it if I get suitable replacement emitters :)

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

Makes sense. How about 2 soldering irons on the solder points, and a friend with a pair of tweezers to remove the emitter? I have 2 irons, might try it if I get suitable replacement emitters :)

I will see :)

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast

Where are you getting this info? I can't tell if you have personal experience, or are just repeating what someone else has said. Doesn't really make sense to me, given that the Eagletac cells ARE Panasonic cells underneath the wrapper. Obviously the protection circuit matters, but I wouldn't expect it to be a major difference...

donn_

Flashaholic

Before the mod, I ran it on the Eagletacs.

That would seem to imply personal experience, no? I had the SX25L3 before sending it to Vinh to be modded. I ran it on Eagletac 3400s before. After the mod, it won't run on high with the Eagletac cells.

Further use has indicated it doesn't work well with the Fasttech cells either. It has to warm up, physically, in order for high and turbo to work. However, my Soshine 3400s (also Panasonic cells inside) seem to be running just fine, at all levels.

Funny thing. Eagletac, Fasttech and Soshine are all Panasonic inside...yet they are all three different lengths and diameters.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast

That would seem to imply personal experience, no? I had the SX25L3 before sending it to Vinh to be modded. I ran it on Eagletac 3400s before. After the mod, it won't run on high with the Eagletac cells.

You were quoting someone else in the same post, and I haven't read the entire thread to see if your light had even arrived yet. You ran Eagletacs at some point before the mod, that is totally clear, but that doesn't mean you also ran them after the mod, could have been someone else's experience. I wasn't 100% sure, so I asked. I would rather know for sure at the outset, than assume and be wrong.

Further use has indicated it doesn't work well with the Fasttech cells either. It has to warm up, physically, in order for high and turbo to work. However, my Soshine 3400s (also Panasonic cells inside) seem to be running just fine, at all levels.

Funny thing. Eagletac, Fasttech and Soshine are all Panasonic inside...yet they are all three different lengths and diameters.

This is good info. Apparently the light is right on the border, in regards to current required. May be hit or miss with various cells. If the Soshines aren't fully charged, are they still ok? Maybe running IMR would be better in this mod. Would it draw even more off those type of cells, perhaps? Just wondering...

Last edited: