Need some help on buying a low-end flashlight...

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
scott.cr said:
Good visibility at 25 yards is a pretty tall order for any light. Personally I wouldn't go with an LED-based light for outdoors use, as your targets tend to get a lot further away than you might think. I did an Airsoft game once, in a parking lot (it was strictly for Airsoft use), and the only place my old CR123 Twin Task was any good for was inside the "kill house." Out in the lot I couldn't see squat, but the bad guys sure as heck could see me, because whenever I lit that thing up I'd be pelted with about 10,000 6mm BBs.
A spotlight with no sidespill. It is the sidespill that lets everybody see you.
River rock 2AA at Target. Do not know if the 2C is a spot or not.

JKR

Newly Enlightened
Well, the light will be mounted to my paintgun primarily for shooting at people. Although I have been playing paintball for nearly 18 years, I have never done an overnight game so I am unsure exactly how much use this light will get. Probably not much if I want to stay in the game long - I am sure that lights of any kind will draw fire pretty quickly. I will carry either my Brinkman Rebel and/or my Nite-Ize converted 2AA Minimag for walking around.

I believe that the Dorcy Metal Gear would be about ideal as far as battery life. Based on light output and throw, the Maxfire might be a better choice but I just can't get past the life of the batteries and the fact they are the c123's.

I couldn't really find anything to compare the output of my Brinkman Rebel to the others so I do appreciate the input from offroadcmpr regarding output of the lights mentioned versus my Brinkman. Quite a big difference! Also, after going through flashlightreviews.com I could then compare the output of the Nite-Ize against others for reference. I can tell you with certainty that the Nite-Ize conversion is brighter than the Brinkman Rebel. Therefore, I was happy when I saw the light output from the Metal Gear is three times the Nite-Ize conversion.

Although I don't know how much use it will get mounted on my paintgun, I believe that I am going to buy the Dorcy Metal Gear. Heck, I won't be out of much if it doesn't work out! I just don't get the feeling that the Coast lights are worth what they ask for them so I am going to steer clear.

I will probably hold off on any other light purchases until I see what the new LED Maglites are going to be like. I was very happy to hear that Maglite is finally getting on the LED bandwagon. It's about time! I have a few Minimags and always liked the design and durability but hated the battery and bulb life.

Thanks very much to everyone.
JKR

stjohnh

Newly Enlightened
I know it won't help "today" but the Golston 7 watt might actually fit the bill better than some others:

http://www.qualitychinagoods.com/golstonreg-2xcr123a-waterproof-super-bright-recommended-p-376.html?osCsid=9c2257c1c27525775ba46ed8f526cd86

$30, very good throw, tactical look. Has some sidespill but not a lot. It uses 123 batteries, which I know you say you don't want, but you might rethink that. 123's are $1 each online. AA's alkalines are super cheap, but AAA alkalines usually cost around 40cents each. NiMHi are of coarse the cheapest. But in the big picture, I bet you will spend quite a bit of $$ on a night trip (ammo, other gear, travel, etc). If you use 2 sets of 123's in a night you are out $4, not bad if it helps you shoot more "bad" guys. As for availability, 123's are nearly everywhere film is sold, although the retail price is outrageous, if it really was an emergency you can get 123's easily.

Holland

stjohnh

Newly Enlightened
If you live near Palo Alto, CA, I'd be happy to lend you my Golston for the weekend.

Holland

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
sharper image sells Inova XO3s... they are bright, but not very cheap.

-David

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mod a mag. How big can this light be? A 3c mag with a T*** and heatsink run like 40 dollars if you look around (just make sure you get a decent forward voltage on the LED) Then all you need is some basic tools and a little free time.

JKR

Newly Enlightened
Not sure what I am going to do at this point. Based on further discussions with they guy and I riding to the game with, powerful lighting might even be prohibited based on the premise of the game (old West theme with limited ammo and restrictions on any type of radio or night vision). They are allowing lights for safety but not for the deer in the headlights effect. That was a relatively recent determination made by the coordinators.

On top of that, this is going to be a comparitively small turnout with a pretty fair amount of territory to cover and it sounds as though it will be more stealth oriented than a "light 'em up" (pun intended !) kind of game.

I am probably going to buy the Dorcy Metal Gear and stick it in my pocket and use a red filter for my Nite-Ize converted Mini Maglite.

Thanks stjohnh for the offer to borrow a light! Much appreciated.

Down the road I am going to be getting more into this flashlight world. I just thought I was nuts when I always wanted to check out lights whenever I went somewhere. After all this time, I find many others with the same "sickness" !:)

Except many of you guys are WAY worse than I am!

JKR

Newly Enlightened
Well, I coughed up the $20 and bought the Dorcy Metal Gear today. First impression is that it is well worth the $20. It seems like a very solid light and although it isn't dark outside yet, from what I could tell in comparison to my Brinkman - it has MUCH more intense lighting capability.

It isn't going to fit on a sight ring to be mounted to my paintgun, but it is definitely going in my pocket.

On a side note, I looked at several on the rack and the all the bulbs I looked at seemed to be centered pretty well. I picked the best I could find, but even the worst wasn't that bad to a rookie's eyes!

JKR

cy

Flashaholic
get a surefire G2! do a google search and find several dealers selling for $35. they pop up used for $25-$30 or less.

just because your budget is low doesn't mean you should get a cheap light. get an excellent inexpensive light!

always try to go for a used quality light in mint condition. post a WTB and state your budget. someone will help you out.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although your ambitions with a 1watt Luxeon LED are modest -
they don't seem adequate for lighting up for target acquision at 25yards -

Please take a look at this thread -

"Practical" Beamshots? pt.2 (outdoors)

although the eyes do see better than those beamshots indicate -
the beamshots are at a mere 11 yards (33 feet) less than half your distance - so the lights will be less than 1/4 as bright at 25 yards -
all the 1 watts look kind of inadquate for any real illumination when compared to the xenon 2x CR123 Streamlight Scorpion, 3D Mag -
it needed 3watts and the use of 3.6V rechargeable Li-ion RCR123 to reach that kind of level.

However if 1 watt looks adequate to you - you might want to consider the lens focussing River Rock 1.5w 2AA which gives very little side-spill, therefore extraeneous light - so hopefully makes it a bit better from being seen?

JKR

Newly Enlightened
Maybe I just have exceptional low-light vision or something...

I found the light output of the Metal Gear to be very good and sufficient for my needs. More than enough light for me at 25 yds.

Yes, I am sure there are better lights out there. However, for a little less than $20, I consider the light a good value at this point.

JKR

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
A lot of CPFers estimate useful distance based on the worst-case situation, which is typically a semi-lighted urban environment. In total darkness, the useful range of a flashlight is greatly extended.

cy

Flashaholic
Surefire G-2 takes a backseat to no one and real bargain at $35. G-2 uses exact same P-60 or P-61 bulb as it's much higher priced M2, C2 and 6P.

M2 does differ by offering shock isolated bezel and touch pad trigger control option.

According to PK, tactical means able to light up a small target like a hand at up to 35yards and be ready instantly.

G-2 qualifies as a tactical light.

Last edited:

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
asdalton wrote: "A lot of CPFers estimate useful distance based on the worst-case situation, which is typically a semi-lighted urban environment. In total darkness, the useful range of a flashlight is greatly extended."

This is a very valid point.

When it's really dark like in the countryside - a little light can go a long way.

Bearing that in mind - this may sound a little irreverant - but a MiniMag 2AA (incandescent) does really well for throw when focussed to a tight beam - and its yellow beam seems to help some people see better outdoors among greenery.

The MiniMag 2AA were on sale at Target for $6.22 with batteries and holster until Feb/27.

If the twisty head is too cumbersome for quick "deployment" just add a Kroll clicky switch and keep the head at one's chosen focus.