New 225 Lumen high CRI HDS

Sos24

Enlightened
These look really interesting considering I like the couple of lights I currently have with the SST20 4000k. Too bad the 18650 tubes weren't going to be available in time, because I told myself my next light would be with an 18650. Any chance there is enough stock of these to be around until then?

klackey

Enlightened
Just what the doctor ordered............ This is what I was hoping for..... LOVE the High-Noon but at night..... a little warmer... This should be fun...

Last edited:

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I miss is the compare in the "dog shot" - I am unsure how a beam compare with a dog is called :thinking: - maybe with the high noon or a normal low CRI XP-G3 HDS.

At all I can not wait until I can press the order Button @HDSSystems.:popcorn:

Gaffle

Enlightened
Word of caution - the HDS lights are quality lights not high lumen lights. I purchased a half dozen of them because of the quality of the build, the quality of the light emitted, and the lifetime guarantee. I would call myself a HDS enthusiast.

There are many, many high lumen lights that will out perform the lumens of a police light. Some of them are of higher quality than the others but few will come close the the beam quality and build quality of a HDS light.

My HDS is a newer warranty from my 2010 HCRI that malfunctioned. It has been modded from Henry to mimic the output of the original 2010 light, which was 100lm then. All of the newer models are brighter than mine. Lumen count of the HDS is only relevant because of what Henry posts on the site. I would bet my actual numbers, and those of the newer lights, are conservative compared to real use. So yes, these lights will out perform what I have. Based on what I saw I would bet they would beat the lights the law carried that day.

Last edited:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't bother with beam shots but I did finally get out tonight with the 325NLT and SST-20 4000k.

My observations are thus...
Please remember I have old eyes and a propensity for guzzling rum... and it was relatively bright out with the moon on two days away from being full.

NLT throws further. It is pushing out 100 more lumens and is 5000k. It does appear to my eyes that higher K generally will appear brighter, and thus appear to throw further. Take what I say with a grain of salt (preferably around the rim of a margarita glass) as this is simply my opinion.

Now, in the 0-75 yard range, the SST-20 blows away the NLT in color rendition. Granted it should as it is high CRI and the NLT is not, but I was once again dumbfounded at how much "clearer, sharper, lifelike" everything appeared compared to the NLT. My High Noon has been regulated to a diffuse reflector since the NLT came out, and now I am going to have to put a standard reflector back on it and do some comparisons with this SST-20. Yep. I know. I shouldn't be crossing the beams but I can't help it.

As a rule, I tend to keep away from tints under 5000k, but I do find this SST extremely pleasing to the eye at night. Maybe it's because I have spent the last few months using a lower CRI NLT... really made the difference pop for me... was like the desert was clearer... more in focus for my old eyes. I don't know.

I am just going to have to keep this one (though Henry put his old worn tail on it so I would bring it back... no kidding.). I'll figure something out but I'm not going to let this one slip out of my grimy little fingers anytime soon.

Johnnyh

Enlightened
I directly compared my Rotary 4k SW40 R9080 against the only 4k SST-20 I have, an Emisar D42. The tint of the SST-20 is very nice but I prefer the SW40 but that's just me. I would think that the SST-20 is more efficient. Will there be a significant run time boost with it over the SW45? Or for that matter, any of the Nichias?

Last edited:

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's going to be hard to dethrone the SW40 and SW45. In the tint category, those are hall of fame emitters. Interested to see the SST-20 and SW40 with crossed beams. If you have a pic please share.

nmiller

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking forward to this offering. I'm thinking it might dethrone the xpg hicri I have been using. Unfortunately I just don't like the nichia. The tint and beam shape of the xpg is superior for my use. I just wonder if the 225 lumens will be enough to make a big difference compared to my 120 xpg. Any thoughts? I try other things and always go back to the 120. If the sst matches the beam profile of the xpg it will be a real winner. A slightly cooler led would also be nice at times.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately I just don't like the nichia. The tint and beam shape of the xpg is superior for my use....

I also like the XP-G, mine is warmer than yours. And we differ in that I Love the 219b's
here is a pic
feZDjobl.jpg

for anyone interested in the 4000k SST-20, the cheapest way to find out is to pick up a Sofirn C01s, which uses the SST4000k.. then you can do your own comparisons. That LED is also available in the FW3a.. I mention these only as a low cost way to experience the LED. The beam of the HDS is tighter, as the reflector is deeper than either of those lights.

Last edited:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
for anyone interested in the 4000k SST-20, the cheapest way to find out is to pick up a Sofirn C01s, which uses the SST4000k

Bin code. Bin code. Bin code.
I VERY much doubt that they are using the same, or even near as to the binning HDS is using on the SST-20.
It would be a bit like trying to find out what a girl is like by sleeping with her sisters.

Last edited:

Johnnyh

Enlightened
Bin code. Bin code. Bin code.
I VERY much doubt that they are using the same, or even near as to the binning HDS is using on the SST-20.
It would be a bit like trying to find out what a girl is like by sleeping with her sisters.

That's a good point. The same is probably true for Emisar.

...But if the girls were identical twins...?

gravelrash

Enlightened
Bought one in rotary. Now I just have to wait and see if it can replace my high-cri HDS Clicky 120 lumen I've carried since 2011... or the backup for it in orange that I've never carried...