*new* Fenix CL20: portable camping light with neutral white and red leds

radiopej

Enlightened
I thought this would finally be the ultimate tent light but it miss the main function I'm looking for: firefly mode. My daughter loves camping but she need at least to see a bit of light. 8 lumens is too much light to sleep with, especially with a tent that's rather low, she will be blinded.

Love the idea, nice design, seems like decent quality but I just can't figure why there is no option for a very long running dim light. something like 0,5 lumens.
Would the red LEDs be useful for this purpose?

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
How come the runtime for the red LED at 1.5 lumen is shorter than the NW 8 lumen?

Lumens are a measure of how bright it appears to the human eye. Our eyes are not very sensitive to red light, so it takes more watts to give the same number of "red lumens" as "white lumens". We're most sensitive to green wavelengths.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought this would finally be the ultimate tent light but it miss the main function I'm looking for: firefly mode. My daughter loves camping but she need at least to see a bit of light. 8 lumens is too much light to sleep with, especially with a tent that's rather low, she will be blinded.

Love the idea, nice design, seems like decent quality but I just can't figure why there is no option for a very long running dim light. something like 0,5 lumens.

8 Lumens diffused is quite different. Guess it depends on the diffusing but half a lumen diffused is barely a glow. I do think 8 is a bit high though. Mind you, I assume the lumen rating is with the diffuser.

Hope they choose better colours, and maybe if possibly, integrate a charging circuit so you plug in a small solar panel.

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would the red LEDs be useful for this purpose?

I guess the red LED would not have the same calming effect on my daughter. There is a something so peaceful out of a warm white light...

8 Lumens diffused is quite different. Guess it depends on the diffusing but half a lumen diffused is barely a glow. I do think 8 is a bit high though. Mind you, I assume the lumen rating is with the diffuser.

You are right about this, I guess I will still need to buy it...:eek:

For that purpose, I'm actually using one of my HDS on the lowest setting. Even with a diffuser, the light produced is not spread evenly in the tent. This new Fenix product seems like it will light up the whole tent, which is a big plus...

jinx626

Enlightened
Many lanterns have the reflector (cone) on the top to reflect the light back down to illuminate the table while people eat during camping. I know it can be hang upside down, but where I camped, there wasn't any branches overhead to hang it; even if there was, it was too high for me to reach it. This is good for inside the tent but not on the table while eating.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many lanterns have the reflector (cone) on the top to reflect the light back down to illuminate the table while people eat during camping. I know it can be hang upside down, but where I camped, there wasn't any branches overhead to hang it; even if there was, it was too high for me to reach it. This is good for inside the tent but not on the table while eating.

Yeah. Well I guess this isn't a true "lantern" in some ways. It still basically is a super squat flashlight. Hopefully they do make a true good lantern in the future where the light is reflected up and out and down without needing to hang it. I really want them to put out a true high quality competitor to the Streamlight Seige. Make it like that but maybe a little bigger and neutral white to even warm, better output, and maybe use 8 AAs or 18650's.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
The magnets on this lantern are pretty cool though. I was just thinking about something you could do using those magnets. If you can put two nails in the ceiling and perfectly paint over them so it looks like they aren't there you could have a spot to put this lantern and turn it on if the power goes out. Probably silly because it doesn't output that much light, but it still would be cool and out of the way.

I wonder how strong the magnets are in this?

kbuzbee

Enlightened
Just FYI - it seems initial release is Olive, Blue to follow. Preorder is up for the Olive model.

I am waiting for Blue.

Ken

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: *new* Fenix CL20: portable camping light with neutral white and red led

Why? Who cares what the LED configuration is, since it's under a diffuser and invisible? 165 lumens is plenty bright enough for camping, and more would just eat through the batteries faster. If you need more diffuse lumens than 165, you should probably be using a light with a hot spot and higher lux.

Click HERE to see one of NewBie's EXCELLENT microphotographs comparing a 'heavily used' 5mm LED to a new one. Notice the dark smears on the first photo, and the clean appearance of the others.

I don't like heavily driven acrylic-enclosed LEDs because of the heavy compromises in the thermal design. They certainly have their place. How good is the thermal contact between the 5mm LEDs under that diffuser and the rest of the board?

Illum

Flashaholic
:thinking:

Why couldn't they have devised a more space effective approach like the Surefire Saint: two AAs in horizontally or 1-3CR123As vertically. I guess that's a patent claim hey?

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone know what the 8 NW leds are? And why 8 of them?

The consensus seem to be better soft light distribution. It looks like this light will put out a very soft diffused light which is great. Sounds like it's really been engineered to be a light hanging from the inside of a tent.

magicstone12

Banned
I wonder how strong the magnets are in this?[/QUOTE]

There is a picture on their website shows that it can be attached to a car.

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
Bought mine from a "flashaholic retail store" here 2 days ago. Very nice, it's been a long time since anything from Fenix draw my interest... sharing some pics of the light here...

CL20_01.jpg

size comparison to Surefire 6P

CL20_02.jpg

size comparison to Fenix E99 Ti

CL20_03.jpg

the base of the light with 2 magnet attachment. pretty strong...

CL20_04.jpg

the magnet attached, it takes some force to remove... nice!

CL20_05.jpg

the battery compartment, here I have 2 x AA installed.

CL20_06.jpg

and a CR123A... can't close the cover when you have both CR123A and 2xAA installed.

CL20_07.jpg

the boring cover.

CL20_08.jpg

another look at the boring cover with the locking mechanism "activated"...

:devil:

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are using it inside you just need a pencil and a large wide glass to make it a more normal "upside down" type lantern. Just put the pencil through the metal ring and put the pencil over the rim of the glass. Bonus points for rigging up something more elegant looking than that. You can do this with twigs and pine cones in the wilderness too. :)

-MacGyver

Last edited: