New guy here asking a already answered question.......

MX421

Enlightened
Eagletac D25A2 with the XPG2 in neutral tint for a good all around AA light. It will throw plenty far enough and the moonlight mode would be great for use inside the sleeper. I own two D25A2 and they are my favorite lights. They have taken some serious abuse and keep on going, I know they are waterproof as they have been swimming with me. Illuminationgear/com is the best place to get Eagletac lights and if you look in the CPF discount thread there is an 8% off for CPF members.

I really like my D25A, so it makes sense the 2 AA version would be simiar (and brighter). I second that even though i have no experience with the 2 AA version.

For a headlamp I really like my Fenix HL35. It's a great all around light with really good runtimes. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?412750-My-thoughts-on-the-Fenix-HL35-pics-added!
I recommend either Fenixoutfitters or Fenix-Store for any Fenix purchase.

Agree! Check out the Fenix outfitter clearance section, you can find really good deals there. Returns and such. Might even save enough to get two lights ;)

I don't own a zebralight yet but they do seem to be a really good brand and they have a large following. Most people here are recommending an 18650 light but I think for starting out and simplicity's sake a AA light is the way to go. I would pick up a pack of Eneloop rechargeable AAs and a charger such as the LaCrosse BC700 as that combination will give you the best runtimes and cut down on the cost of batteries. Also it will keep you from ending up with an alkaline battery leaking and running a light.

I have a Fenix HP12 and it hasn't seen as much use since i got the Zebralight (H602w). Since I've had the H602, I've only used it in combination with my H602 for throw. However, now that i've got the H600w, i see less of the Fenix use, although it is a really good light. I figure i'll use it off and on just to change up the User Interface (UI) every once in a while when the shine wears off the H600 i recently got. I like the Zebralight because, since they are removable (like a few other headlamps), they can also be used as a flashlight. Plus, now that i am used to it, i really like the UI. If i had it over too do, i'd not have gotten some of the handhelds i have and let the Zebra headlamps serve both purposes. The 18650 Zebralight headlamps don't come with a clip, but i found one that fit and it makes it even more useful.

I'm not opposed to rechargeable but I have not ran across a backpacker solar panel that accepts a wall plug yet........ if any of those mentioned have a usb charger I would be more attracted to them. I understand with extra batteries it shouldn't be a worry but I'm that guy that seems to practically live in the 3 percent of the 97 that what should never happen happens......... So I get concerned. Charging in the truck is not a problem though. I also went with aa because it's universal in almost all portable electronics.

^^^^ although your right[emoji4] I'm not looking to bust into subcategories of specified use yet. That's a while I'm the future yet. [emoji38] I'm looking for a pocket pet or hip buddy. One that's going to live with me at all times.

As i said above, if i had to get one light it would be a removable headlamp that would double as a handheld (90 degree) flashlight. I've heard of some Zebralights breaking after dropping. I haven't been that rough with mine, but i'd check around for people's experiences with them. I've also read the reverse, so i suppose it depends. Armytek is supposed to be more durable. I sent it back due to other issues, but i really like the warm tint of the Wizard i had to send back due to bugs in the UI.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you have a handle on the CB? If so, what?

Ok, next. I agree with the D25A. Great light!! If you really want it to be a awesome light, invest in a few 14500 button top batteries and a Nitecore I2 charger with 12 volt socket adapter, and a 4 pack Eneloop pros and 2 battery cases. The 14500 batteries have a higher voltage 3.7 vs 1.2 and make the light a little monster in your hairy palms.
Best part is you can sleep with this light!
If you shop it hard enough you can get a Titanium version (D25TI) 2014 model for under $40. So shop around.

4 rodger

Poppy

Flashaholic
<SNIP>
Can never go wrong with a mag but they always leave me wanting more brightness. I never played with the led version.. have a sneaky feeling it will be the same way........... ( Anyone open to changing my mind on that? )

I'm not opposed to rechargeable but I have not ran across a backpacker solar panel that accepts a wall plug yet........ if any of those mentioned have a usb charger I would be more attracted to them. <SNIP>
04af2a4500a51e89b51d538a1e863946.jpg

I also drive this big ugly thing. So I'm always up and down that ladder checking. So it could be dropped from there on concrete. It could be dropped in the mud or freezing puddle or kicked or dog might decide to bury it [emoji31] I looked at those ravok but was not impressed with the lums. Seems like what I would keep in a tool bag more then anything.

<SNIP>
coyoterunner....
From this followup post it is pretty obvious that you are WAY behind the times.

YES an LED mag is far superior to the incans that you are used to. You will be hard pressed to imagine the difference. But I am not about to recommend one.

You mention an GSX flashlight without mentioning the model, therefore I have no idea what you currently own, but with a google search I found this thread on CPF. It is a 7 year old thread. And back then, members were not at all impressed with the light. That may not even be your light, which might be worse.

If all you need to do is to look at the chains holding the cars in place on your truck, then the 2AA indestructible recommended by bykfixer is adequate. It's 100 lumens in a tightly focused beam will easily reach the top of your truck. IMO, it is too big to EDC and sleep with, but it would be a great light to keep in the truck and use when needed. I keep one in my car.

For a much smaller, which makes it more edc-able, the EagleTac d25a ti is a great light. The Ti version keeps it looking nice for all of its life, and if the NiMH battery doesn't deliver quite enough light then you can step up to a 14500 LiIon battery and there will be a significant improvement in output. Even more so than the ET d25a2 (which takes 2AA batteries).

Again, since I don't know anything about the light that you are currently using, IE I don't know if it is incan, or LED, or if it takes 2 CR123s as the one I linked to above, or not, I therefore don't know how ancient the tech you are currently using, that you want to upgrade.

If you are comfortable with the size of a light that would take 2 CR123 batteries, then I would suggest a light that is cigar shaped, (meaning that the head, body, and tail, are all the same diameter) like the Fenix PD35, or Convoy S2+... there are others. They take rechargeable 18650 batteries. You can recharge them in your truck (with the appropriate charger) and each cell has the equivalent to 3-4 times an AA cell, or 4 times that of a CR123. Modern 18650 lights can typically run for an hour straight on high, and I can't imagine you needing to run it on high to check on your load. Most lights will run on medium for about 7-8 hours, and on low for about 30-40 hours. Certainly there are variances, but it is just to give you an idea of what to expect.

MX421 asked a number of questions, and I don't think that you answered them.
With a more clear understanding of your needs, or wants, recommendations can be more specific. Since you were not clear, and members are anxious to help, recommendations are all over the place.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for the pics OP helps a lot. Was trying to keep my suggestions to easily attainable alkaline powered lights but your pics really illustrate that you need a light that can really take occasional abuse. Armyteks have the highest drop rating I know of and they are totally waterproof. They are expensive(most of them anyways). I have 3 of the medium sized Armyteks a Predator Pro V3 XP-L HI, Viking Pro V3 XP-L and a Dobermann Pro XP-L HI. None of them are exactly easy to pocket but they came with very good quality belt sheaths. All 3 are multi output with 1000+ lumens at the top of all 3 I find the 7 modes plus strobe to be well spaced the Pro models really give you great output spacing very low to turbo. They can be dropped 30+ feet. All 3 can really throw. BUT in your case Id choose a higher end Armytek 90 degree headlamp. They are easily detachable from the headband.

OUTPUT-The Armytek Tiara's are 370 lumens on max. For a headlamp that is plenty but if you really want to light up some wide short range distance the Wizard is 1010 lumens which to me is ludicrous for a headlamp. The Armytek Wizards can take 4 different cells 1x18650, 2x16340, 2xCR1213 and 2x18350 the Tiara is 1xAA or 1x14500. They come with detachable pocket clips.

The new 3rd Gen XML2 D cell mags are rated at 524 lumes for the 2 D cell unit and 625 lumens for the 3 D cell unit. Both of the new Mags throw over 350 meters extremely well. I prefer the 2 D cell 524 lumen unit it just is easier to throw in my car. 524 and 625 lumens is PLENTY. Remember the still available regular incandescent D cell Mags are under 100 lumens. The previous gen LED D cell Mags only put out 131 lumens so brightness went up by 5 and 6 times respectively. The beam profile diameter out of the new Mags at say 25 feet away is utterly massive in diameter you get tons of spill with the highly concentrated hot spot of the beam looking clear and considerably bright. The new Mags can maintain full output for hours on alkaline D cells no other light I know of that takes D cells can do this.

The Thrunite TN4A has been mentioned. I have 3 TN4A's why? Because they are just THAT good. For 50 bucks you get a 4xAA stubby light that cranks out a for real 1100 lumens out the front. They are 5 modes plus strobe. Modes are well spaced. They are only IPX8 rated and drop rated to only to 6 feet though which is actually better than average. Having 3 of these lights I have plenty of experience with them. I am confident I could turn one of them on and throw it 30 feet away into 6 feet of water and it would be fine. Hell I feel I could throw a TN4A 25 feet onto the ground and itd be fine. TN4A comes with an above average quality belt holster. There are currently 3 different TN4A's available 1 has a cool white tint, 1 has a warm halogen like tint and the 3rd is a cool white super far throwing XP-L HI emitter. The ONLY drawback to the TN4A is that in order to get advertised run times you MUST use AA cells of no less than 2500mah which for reliability sake means 2 specific AA cells:the 2550mah Eneloop Pro's or the 3000mah Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA primary cells. The Energizer Ultimate Lithiums really drive the TN4A as bright as it can go for as long as the 3000mah Energizers can hold out but despite being available at most drug stores and big box stores they can get expensive unless you buy in bulk online and they are NOT rechargeable. Sure you can pop regular alkaline AA's in the TN4A but you will not get near the advertised runtimes. Ive got the cool white, older XML2 neutral white and the new flame throwing 53k CD XP-L HI TN4A. The beam out of all 3 is nearly as wide in diameter as the big Maglites and the 2 non XP-L HI versions have big fat very very bright hot spots. The non XP-L HI versions throw roughly 30k CD which is just short of a D cell Mag. TN4A is arguably the best 50 bucks you can spend on a light its value factor is through the roof. In your case I would get the neutral white TN4A as you get better color rendition with the warmer tint. TN4A will easily light up your entire truck.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two more suggestions to confuse you further. First, look at the Nitecore EA41. It is a four AA cell light that is compact enough to fit inside a toilet paper roll, yet will fill all your needs from low power to look at things close up, to a 1,000 lumens to reach out a quarter of a mile. Comes with a nice belt holster as well. I use rechargeable NiMH in mine, with an Extar VC4 charger that works off of a USB port. The other suggestion is the Nitecore EA11. It is a single AA light that when used with an AA cell will to a max of 160 lumens, which is more than enough to check out anything on your truck or in the immediate area. It also has a nice little red LED auxiliary for preserving night vision or signalling if you need it. For it I would recommend NiMH again, with a Nitecore UB10 or UB20 USB charger. Both lights are rated IPX8, and pass the 1.5 meter drop test. I realize your truck is higher than that, but, the EA11 especially, either light can be put on a neck lanyard and tucked into a shirt pocket while both hands are in use. The EA11 also has a two way clip so that it can be clipped onto a hat brim if desired. I have both and really like them. I use the EA11 as my EDC. It usually just rides in my pocket, but it does have a nice belt holster if desired.

coyoterunfarms93

Newly Enlightened
Please do not think I am not reading any of your responses and ignoring them. I am scanning over them as I get them and I completely read them all when I get the the chances to. Yesterday I worked 13 hours with no lunch and had enough time to shower then wait for ordered food and talk to family then have enough time to go back to the truck and sleep and be up in eight hours. It's the life of a honest trucker. With all the advice given and different lights and such it's going to take someone that does not have internet access at hand all night a while to go through and look at it all and research it all. I am responding to people that have quoted me due to the fact that it pops up on my notifications so it's quick responses and in depth read when I get the chance. Esp lunch brake traffic jam in the bathroom so on and so on. Again thank you all [emoji4]

As i said above, if i had to get one light it would be a removable headlamp that would double as a handheld (90 degree) flashlight. I've heard of some Zebralights breaking after dropping. I haven't been that rough with mine, but i'd check around for people's experiences with them. I've also read the reverse, so i suppose it depends. Armytek is supposed to be more durable. I sent it back due to other issues, but i really like the warm tint of the Wizard i had to send back due to bugs in the UI.

I was leaning towards the zebra just for that option. The duel use. I'll defiantly look into the armytek. I see it mentioned on here in a few other suggestions. Thank you :)

Do you have a handle on the CB? If so, what?

4 rodger

No I do not. I keep it off. It turned into more trash talk then anything worth while to talk about anymore. When I was a tanker it was a must to have one just because some of the factories that's all they used. There isn't much cell reception in the mountains in west Virginia still. Car hauling I just show up when I show up while they are still open or call in advanced to give them a time update. I just recently ordered a vx-6r ham radio and will be getting my license when the next test is available on my time off. Seems like people that use them are more on the respectable side since it's kids on the frequencies also.

coyoterunner....
From this followup post it is pretty obvious that you are WAY behind the times.

YES an LED mag is far superior to the incans that you are used to. You will be hard pressed to imagine the difference. But I am not about to recommend one.

You mention an GSX flashlight without mentioning the model, therefore I have no idea what you currently own, but with a google search I found this thread on CPF. It is a 7 year old thread. And back then, members were not at all impressed with the light. That may not even be your light, which might be worse.

If all you need to do is to look at the chains holding the cars in place on your truck, then the 2AA indestructible recommended by bykfixer is adequate. It's 100 lumens in a tightly focused beam will easily reach the top of your truck. IMO, it is too big to EDC and sleep with, but it would be a great light to keep in the truck and use when needed. I keep one in my car.

For a much smaller, which makes it more edc-able, the EagleTac d25a ti is a great light. The Ti version keeps it looking nice for all of its life, and if the NiMH battery doesn't deliver quite enough light then you can step up to a 14500 LiIon battery and there will be a significant improvement in output. Even more so than the ET d25a2 (which takes 2AA batteries).

Again, since I don't know anything about the light that you are currently using, IE I don't know if it is incan, or LED, or if it takes 2 CR123s as the one I linked to above, or not, I therefore don't know how ancient the tech you are currently using, that you want to upgrade.

If you are comfortable with the size of a light that would take 2 CR123 batteries, then I would suggest a light that is cigar shaped, (meaning that the head, body, and tail, are all the same diameter) like the Fenix PD35, or Convoy S2+... there are others. They take rechargeable 18650 batteries. You can recharge them in your truck (with the appropriate charger) and each cell has the equivalent to 3-4 times an AA cell, or 4 times that of a CR123. Modern 18650 lights can typically run for an hour straight on high, and I can't imagine you needing to run it on high to check on your load. Most lights will run on medium for about 7-8 hours, and on low for about 30-40 hours. Certainly there are variances, but it is just to give you an idea of what to expect.

MX421 asked a number of questions, and I don't think that you answered them.
With a more clear understanding of your needs, or wants, recommendations can be more specific. Since you were not clear, and members are anxious to help, recommendations are all over the place.

You are correct. I am far behind. That's why I asked first rather then buy and regret :)

I can tell the new mags are superior to the old I just never played with the led version yet.

The gsx. I stated it was with the light on the side ( for some reason 90 degree head term kept slipping my mind ) but it is the duel purpose head lamp hand held like the zebra headlamps. I didn't give a model because it's not plastered on the side of it and I didn't think it was important to look it up since I am looking for a replacement anyways. My apologies. [emoji15]

There are no chains on cars. They would damage everything they touch. It's ratchet straps around the tires :) also I do more then check chains. I stated in my very first opening message that I am a avid outdoorsman. I hunt fish camp hike and so on in my little down time. I run two and a half weeks out then two days in. So my truck is my home without a address. That's why I talk about it being used around the truck so often. I use it to check belts when I squeeze my way between the tire and the cab. Fluid levels. Clarence on the top racks. Also while I stand under the cars strapping and unstrapping them on the top racks. When it's a downpour the run off runs directly on you when are under them in spots. I also deliver on the side of the road a lot. The place I delivered to the other day on the side was a storm drain. There was no much rain that day in Virginia that between the snow melting and the rain it had it's own mini river flowing to it. When it snows heavy you get a good heavy slurry mush on the side of the roads where you deliver.Now that winter is almost over the night time deliveries are becoming less frequent but the night time loads will remain the same. Also we retrieve the vehicles ourselves from the lots and load them ourselves. So it is used to check for scratches Knicks dents dings missing parts and so on on brand new fresh off the boat Porsches and Mercedes BMW and such. Plus I like to use it to check under my bed at home for monsters once in awhile [emoji38]

As I stated I do not want cr batteries. They are not easily available on the road if something was to happen to my spares. I do understand the pros of them but it's just not a readily available option at all places. I did see a couple recommendations on here for lights that they say aa can be used in a pinch I'm going to look into as well. As well as the recently posted info on the usb port charges I scanned over quickly. I will still look into the other suggestions of rechargeable and extra batteries.

Again you are correct. I did not answer the questions asked of me yet. My response post was to thank everyone and give more quick information. I had tried to respond a few times for them not to show up on my end until a hour later. So I deleted them. I didn't realize the one I left up left out the part of me saying I am reading through them all as I get the chances. Again my apologies.

As for my needs and wants you are not correct. Although I never specifically narrowed it down to strict wants I left several examples on here for my needs and a few of my wants. I stayed the night at a mom and pops muddy stop.....I mean truck stop last night. It was concrete many a moon ago when the buffalo still roamed Colorado. Since then it is a swallow the rig whole pitted muddy stop. ( watched someone get stuck in there last night with his hazards on for a hour then another hour of the tow truck pulling him out. To slow in a pitted muddy slushy ice covered mess.... ) The closest one to the dealer without having to back track a hour and a half. When I went to go check behind the trailer I lost traction and dropped my spot light in a muddy puddle when I grabbed for support. As much as I love the black and Decker waterproof marine spot light I haven't been able to figure out how to fit it in my pocket yet or holster carry it. Plus I highly doubt it will survive a fall from the top on concrete. I left the lums open because I knew the suggestions would have such a vast difference between them that it would be difficult to narrow it down to lums robust and the open price range I gave.

So it's not my intentional goal to use and abuse and throw like a football at a brick wall then let it drop into a lake for a year then expect it to work. I'm informing everyone the reality of my working conditions. Essentially it's not a behind the wheel all day everyday job while someone does the real work for you. I am out there in all the elements of nature with the added luxury of human influence everyday. That's why I left it so open to suggestion. It's not so much of a let's do a pin point. It's a here are my conditions and my few wishes give me options. I could go on Google and type in drop proof waterproof flashlight and it will pop up with a gumball special every other page. That's why I came here. I knew almost everyone would have a suggestion better then Bing or Wal-Mart.

Thank you for your suggestions and I will look into them as I get the chance. I'll start with the first reply suggestion and work my way from there. To the last reply.

Again I thank everyone and I am reading them as I go. :) internet is very limited when you use a cell phone and data and free Wi-Fi is hardly ever available. It's not worth buying into the Wi-Fi at the stops because I may not stop at another ta to stay the night in three weeks but I would spend twenty bucks for a month of Wi-Fi use there....... or five for a night.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please do not think I am not reading any of your responses and ignoring them. I am scanning over them as I get them and I completely read them all when I get the the chances to. Yesterday I worked 13 hours with no lunch and had enough time to shower then wait for ordered food and talk to family then have enough time to go back to the truck and sleep and be up in eight hours. It's the life of a honest trucker. With all the advice given and different lights and such it's going to take someone that does not have internet access at hand all night a while to go through and look at it all and research it all. I am responding to people that have quoted me due to the fact that it pops up on my notifications so it's quick responses and in depth read when I get the chance. Esp lunch brake traffic jam in the bathroom so on and so on. Again thank you all [emoji4]

I was leaning towards the zebra just for that option. The duel use. I'll defiantly look into the armytek. I see it mentioned on here in a few other suggestions. Thank you :)

You are correct. I am far behind. That's why I asked first rather then buy and regret :)

I can tell the new mags are superior to the old I just never played with the led version yet.

The gsx. I stated it was with the light on the side ( for some reason 90 degree head term kept slipping my mind ) but it is the duel purpose head lamp hand held like the zebra headlamps. I didn't give a model because it's not plastered on the side of it and I didn't think it was important to look it up since I am looking for a replacement anyways. My apologies. [emoji15]

There are no chains on cars. They would damage everything they touch. It's ratchet straps around the tires :) also I do more then check chains. I stated in my very first opening message that I am a avid outdoorsman. I hunt fish camp hike and so on in my little down time. I run two and a half weeks out then two days in. So my truck is my home without a address. That's why I talk about it being used around the truck so often. I use it to check belts when I squeeze my way between the tire and the cab. Fluid levels. Clarence on the top racks. Also while I stand under the cars strapping and unstrapping them on the top racks. When it's a downpour the run off runs directly on you when are under them in spots. I also deliver on the side of the road a lot. The place I delivered to the other day on the side was a storm drain. There was no much rain that day in Virginia that between the snow melting and the rain it had it's own mini river flowing to it. When it snows heavy you get a good heavy slurry mush on the side of the roads where you deliver.Now that winter is almost over the night time deliveries are becoming less frequent but the night time loads will remain the same. Also we retrieve the vehicles ourselves from the lots and load them ourselves. So it is used to check for scratches Knicks dents dings missing parts and so on on brand new fresh off the boat Porsches and Mercedes BMW and such. Plus I like to use it to check under my bed at home for monsters once in awhile [emoji38]

As I stated I do not want cr batteries. They are not easily available on the road if something was to happen to my spares. I do understand the pros of them but it's just not a readily available option at all places. I did see a couple recommendations on here for lights that they say aa can be used in a pinch I'm going to look into as well. As well as the recently posted info on the usb port charges I scanned over quickly. I will still look into the other suggestions of rechargeable and extra batteries.

Again you are correct. I did not answer the questions asked of me yet. My response post was to thank everyone and give more quick information. I had tried to respond a few times for them not to show up on my end until a hour later. So I deleted them. I didn't realize the one I left up left out the part of me saying I am reading through them all as I get the chances. Again my apologies.

As for my needs and wants you are not correct. Although I never specifically narrowed it down to strict wants I left several examples on here for my needs and a few of my wants. I stayed the night at a mom and pops muddy stop.....I mean truck stop last night. It was concrete many a moon ago when the buffalo still roamed Colorado. Since then it is a swallow the rig whole pitted muddy stop. ( watched someone get stuck in there last night with his hazards on for a hour then another hour of the tow truck pulling him out. To slow in a pitted muddy slushy ice covered mess.... ) The closest one to the dealer without having to back track a hour and a half. When I went to go check behind the trailer I lost traction and dropped my spot light in a muddy puddle when I grabbed for support. As much as I love the black and Decker waterproof marine spot light I haven't been able to figure out how to fit it in my pocket yet or holster carry it. Plus I highly doubt it will survive a fall from the top on concrete. I left the lums open because I knew the suggestions would have such a vast difference between them that it would be difficult to narrow it down to lums robust and the open price range I gave.

So it's not my intentional goal to use and abuse and throw like a football at a brick wall then let it drop into a lake for a year then expect it to work. I'm informing everyone the reality of my working conditions. Essentially it's not a behind the wheel all day everyday job while someone does the real work for you. I am out there in all the elements of nature with the added luxury of human influence everyday. That's why I left it so open to suggestion. It's not so much of a let's do a pin point. It's a here are my conditions and my few wishes give me options. I could go on Google and type in drop proof waterproof flashlight and it will pop up with a gumball special every other page. That's why I came here. I knew almost everyone would have a suggestion better then Bing or Wal-Mart.

Thank you for your suggestions and I will look into them as I get the chance. I'll start with the first reply suggestion and work my way from there. To the last reply.

Again I thank everyone and I am reading them as I go. :) internet is very limited when you use a cell phone and data and free Wi-Fi is hardly ever available. It's not worth buying into the Wi-Fi at the stops because I may not stop at another ta to stay the night in three weeks but I would spend twenty bucks for a month of Wi-Fi use there....... or five for a night.
After reading this post it really sounds like a headlamp is the best option for you. I don't think a hand held light is going to be as useful as a headlamp would be and you don't have to worry about dropping a headlamp as much as you do a hand held.

My number one recommendation for a headlamp is Fenix. I love my HL35 and the other Fenix lights I have. I have no doubt that I could drop my HL35 off the top of the trailer and it would still work. You may want to take a look at the new HL60R. It is a USB rechargeable headlamp with a 950 lumen max output.

Although I don't own them Zebralight and Armytek are both well respected as well as you can tell by the number of recommendations they have here.

Poppy

Flashaholic
<SNIP>

<SNIP>

<SNIP>
Thanks for the more detailed response. :)

After reading this post it really sounds like a headlamp is the best option for you. I don't think a hand held light is going to be as useful as a headlamp would be and you don't have to worry about dropping a headlamp as much as you do a hand held.

I agree with Tac Gunner... a headlight is probably best for you.

I can't make a specific recommendation, because I only have a few, and wouldn't recommend any of them. I would stay away from any that take 3 AAA batteries, or a single CR123 cell, but rather would get one that could take a single AA, with a 14500 LiIon as an option, OR one that would take an 18650.

I would lean towards one that takes an 18650 LiIon.

As already mentioned Fenix, Armytek, and ZebraLight are solid brands. I'd also see what AceBeam has to offer.

dmattaponi

Enlightened
Simple, economical answer...FENIX headband, and a Fenix E12 flashlight. The Fenix headband allows you to attached a variety of your own handheld lights into the band, and also has a holder for two spare batteries. Use the flashlight in the headband when you want, but easily pull it out and use it as a handheld light also when you want. The Fenix E12 has a good, simple interface, and tailcap forward clickie. Also runs on a single AA battery, and has some decent balance of lumen levels and runtimes. Total cost for both items would be less than $50.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN2gIR2JHsA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phE-I-giIb0

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
X3 on the head lamp.

I speak of readily available lights to get you through while you learn about the plethora of lights listed by the hobby-ests here. Not a "keep it for the next 25 years" light like many of us have.

With that said, Home Depot sells Coast headlamps that you can adjust from spotlight to flood as well as dim the brightness. Runs off aaa batteries and comes with clips for fastening to hard hats if you're ever required to wear one.

Then for a mini light the 1 aaa Rayovac Indestructable keychain light will suffice as a 'bed side' light that tail stands if you remove the keychain stuff...
All that for about $40 plus a 24 pack of Rayovac aaa's should keep you covered while you learn about the other lights available...

coyoterunfarms93

Newly Enlightened
Simple, economical answer...FENIX headband, and a Fenix E12 flashlight. The Fenix headband allows you to attached a variety of your own handheld lights into the band, and also has a holder for two spare batteries. Use the flashlight in the headband when you want, but easily pull it out and use it as a handheld light also when you want. The Fenix E12 has a good, simple interface, and tailcap forward clickie. Also runs on a single AA battery, and has some decent balance of lumen levels and runtimes. Total cost for both items would be less than $40.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q95VrEh4tmM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5UE875RueU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN2gIR2JHsA
Think you might have solved the headlamp debate. In the limited search I have been able to do I have not ran across that. Absolutely admire the versatility on the options it gives. That's the main reason why I left other options outside of a headlamp. I found once I limit my options I'm often left wanting more or regretting decisions. As for the light itself I'll look at it along with all the others suggested on here. If it can stay in budget with the versatility of that band I might just end up with two flashlights as well [emoji15]
Be all tactacooled out with a light on each side [emoji38]

Thinking I might end up in a hotel for a day or two soon while the truck is in the shop. So usually means free WiFi and lots of time to kill lol.

I looked at the coast lights a few users suggested before I made this thread on here and I am really not impressed for the money spent. It's like they advertise that you will need a arsenal of batteries and the lumen is not all that great. Something like 3 aa. A hour a battery in a perfect world for 130 lums and about 35 bucks and the red led is lucky you can see past your nose...... Plus it's all plastic. That's where Wal-Mart lights hot me into trouble. All plastic with fairly good output but brakes or aluminum with little output but doesn't brake. Although any light is better then no light I am not in desperate need of one. I'm searching to upgrade from lower performance. The quality of the gsx I carry is superb. Even had a battery blow it's top in it and all I did was run a bore brush through the tube and clean the negative spring and it came back to life. But the performance output is horror. Shove a brand new battery in it and it goes from lighting a room to looking at your feet in minutes.

I'm going to lean heavily towards the fenix headband and go from there. Not going to leave out other suggestions but that's what I am going to take into heavy consideration now while looking at others. I did a quick Google search on fenix headband and there are quite a few users who have posted reviews on this form of it.

dmattaponi

Enlightened
Good, glad you found the recommendation helpful. I sure like the Fenix headband and E12 combo. That's what I use. I made one error, total cost for both items will run you under $50 not $40. Headband is about $17.95, E12 flashlight runs around $25.

Last edited:

coyoterunfarms93

Newly Enlightened
My only complaint is I can't find it in black like the video [emoji31] I'll just have to look harder later. I'm not a fan of bright colors but that's just me being overly picky and I can learn to deal lolil I did see the combo at quick glance on Amazon. Didn't notice if it was the one you recommend or not. A lot of people pointed out fenix so it might just be worth getting the combo and calling it a day. Shall see though when I look into the other. [emoji4]

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you are on the right path, should make a good combo. Also take a look at the Fenix HL50. It's a headlamp that can be removed and used as a right angle light. I would shop fenixoutfitters or Fenix-Store

Poppy

Flashaholic
It seems that there are a number of people in favor of the Fenix E12, so I looked up the specs for it.
single AA battery, with a 130 lumen max. No 14500 support.

I would think that the Eagletac D25A 2014 would be a better choice.
Choice of emitters, and tints, and full 14500 support, should he need more output.

AA/14500 flashlight. Must have for titanium collectors. Uses CREE XM-L2 U2, XM-L2 T6 NW, XP-G2 S2, or Nichia 219 5000K CRI-92 LED.

• 1/11/121/200 LED lumen (XM-L U2*)
  • 0.5/9/85/141 ANSI FL-1 lumen
  • Runtime: 1.3/2.5/20/150+ hours
  • Twist head for group output, clicky switch for on/off and modes
  • *Compatible with 14500 li-ion

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems that there are a number of people in favor of the Fenix E12, so I looked up the specs for it.
single AA battery, with a 130 lumen max. No 14500 support.

I would think that the Eagletac D25A 2014 would be a better choice.
Choice of emitters, and tints, and full 14500 support, should he need more output.

AA/14500 flashlight. Must have for titanium collectors. Uses CREE XM-L2 U2, XM-L2 T6 NW, XP-G2 S2, or Nichia 219 5000K CRI-92 LED.

• 1/11/121/200 LED lumen (XM-L U2*)
  • 0.5/9/85/141 ANSI FL-1 lumen
  • Runtime: 1.3/2.5/20/150+ hours
  • Twist head for group output, clicky switch for on/off and modes
  • *Compatible with 14500 li-ion
This is true and also available in xpl hi if ordered through IlluminationGear. I really like the Eagletacs D25 series

dmattaponi

Enlightened
My only complaint is I can't find it in black like the video
emoji31.png
I'll just have to look harder later. I'm not a fan of bright colors but that's just me being overly picky and I can learn to deal lolil I did see the combo at quick glance on Amazon. Didn't notice if it was the one you recommend or not. A lot of people pointed out fenix so it might just be worth getting the combo and calling it a day. Shall see though when I look into the other.
emoji4.png

My Fenix headband is mostly gray. I'm thinking the gray version is the newest rendition, but I'm not sure about that. It's not bad looking, subdued...only bright color is the yellow from the Fenix logo. Just FYI here is the data for the E12 so that you can compare with Poppy's info above...

FENIXE12 Uses Cree XP-E2 LED with a lifespan of 50,000 hours
Output Modes: High - 130 Lumens (1 hour 30 minutes) Mid -50 Lumens (6 hours 30 minutes) Low - 8 Lumens (40 hours)
Max Throw: 289 ft (88 meters)Digitally-regulated output--maintains constant brightnessReverse polarity protection guards against improper battery installation
Slightly recessed switch to prevent accidental activationAble to tail stand. Tail tap switchfor on/off and output selection
High-efficiency total reflection lens
Waterproof to IPX-8 waterproof rating (underwater 6.5feet/2 meters for 30 minutes)
Specifications:

Length: 3.6in/Diameter: .75in Weight(excluding the battery): 1oz