New guy looking for a good LED flashlight

Hookd_On_Photons

Enlightened
PowerMatt: there's a thread here in the LED forum about batteries in the L1P. 2500mAH Energizer NiMHs yield a little over two hours before significant dimming.

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=97221

Some CPFers have reported issues with the switch. I haven't had any significant issues, but sometimes the head assembly unscrews a bit when I pocket carry the Fenix. I believe the next run is going to have the head assemblies loctited to the body. I think the number of reported switch problems is pretty low, considering there were hundreds sold in the recent groupbuy.

If you're worried about durability, there's a thread about a Fenix surviving a 17 story drop down an elevator shaft.

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96573

I love my Arc LSs, but the darn Fenixes put out a beam that's every bit as good, for 1/3 of what I paid for the Arcs just 2 or 3 years ago.

PowerMatt

Newly Enlightened
I think the Fenix is my winner. The ARC's look pretty good, but the L1P seems to offer more bang for the buck. I loose small thinigs pretty easy, so the Arc may be a bit too small for me. :)

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
My two cents: The Fenix is a very nice all around light for the price. The deciding factor for me is the semi-regulated circuit that runs on a single AA... very economical, very handy.

The ARC an Peak AAAs are nice, but they are more of a keychain-only light for me. I have a modded one on my keychain that has a 1W Luxeon in it running at relatively low amperage so gives very decent runtime, but I agree with many others that, while it's a quality product and has a long history here on CPF, it's slightly overpriced for a general user.

The Q3 is pretty much everything the Fenix is, but runs on a 123 cell, it's slightly brighter and has less runtime. I still like mine, esp because mine has a 2-stage tailcap.

The X1 is... well... it is what it is. It's my favorite feeling flashlight and if I started modding small lights, it would be one of my very favorites to play with. The beam is very limited, but it has certain uses and applications.

The Nuwai/River Rock 2xAAA 0.5W light from Target for $10 is almost a must have in my opinion. Very nice brightness, good runtime, fits well in a shirt pocket if you wear lights like that, which I don't. And a HECK of a value. I also have the similar 1xAA light and the 1xAA light with 2-stage output though brightness on the 2-stage light doesn't change much from low to high - I'd like a lower low setting. They both have similar output, haven't done my own runtimes yet.

The Inova Radiant 2xAAA from Target (about $13) is a viable option. It's mostly plastic and rubber (or maybe plastic and rubber over aluminum). Output and runtime should be very similar to the River Rock. It's slightly longer and slightly wider, but gives more tactile grip with the rubber sleeve thingy and has a tail clickie which many prefer.

Another light that used to get a lot of attention but not so much lately is the CMG/Gerber Infinity Ultra. Great runtime on a single AA cell, bright enough to work inside of a computer no problem... I've probably used that light for that use more than any other. It's kind of bulky, but is shorter than the Fenix.

And of course, there are many options of LEDs you can put in a Minimag or Minimag clone. The possibilities are quite literally limitless. My newest baby is one of the new Nichia CS leds in a Quest Minimag clone with a clickie tail cap. I have it running on a LiON cell and dummy cell. Very bright, not sure on runtime yet but I suspect it will be very impressive... 20-ish hours is my guess.

This is a good time for budding flashlight junkies... lots of very affordable choices out there for lights in this class.

PowerMatt

Newly Enlightened
It's got a lot to do with personal preference, that's for sure.

I think I'm getting repetitive here, but the Fenix L1P seems to fit my requirements the best. Small, but not too small, runs on a common AA, has a bright spot but still has a decent amount of sidespill for more general purpose work, and with the semi-regulated circuit it can run pretty well on NiMH rechargables. Plus I'm pretty hard on most stuff I own, so the great durability is something I really need.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
cratz2 said:
The Q3 is pretty much everything the Fenix is, but runs on a 123 cell, it's slightly brighter and has less runtime. I still like mine, esp because mine has a 2-stage tailcap.

cratz2- I take this to mean you have recieved the light (from me)? Glad you like it.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, of course I did... Gotta drop by Cheers And Jeers, huh?
ohgeez.gif

PowerMatt

Newly Enlightened
Got my L1P in from 4sevens today.

Wow.

Blew my 2D Mag right out of the water.

PowerMatt

Newly Enlightened
You guys warned me that coming here would be hazardous to my wallet. Sure enough, I've now ordered an L2P as well. The same great quality of the L1P but with full regulation and twice the runtime? It was too much for me to resist.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Well there you go PowerAMatt! That's what happens when you hang around CPF. . .Enjoy those lights!