New Guy, reading/learning a lot...your thoughts wanted on my shopping list

stingers96

Newly Enlightened
thanks for everyone's replies and advice. I took the plunge on Friday 12/11 and purchased the following

1. TI IlluminaTi
2. Olight M21 Warrior -- why the M21 I have no idea., thought the 'floodier' throw would be better in my (initial) lineup
3. Surefire E2DL - had to go with surefire.

few comments on other posts.

LEDninja - great advise

1 edc. i think my initial purchases should cover an edc.

2 house light, i have a 30,000 kw generator that powers my whole house within 30 seconds of a power outage so I don't have an issue here. I am hopeful that the surefire (on low) or m21 will cover me for this category otherwise. I also have a small minimag that works well for nighttime trips to the bathroom, as does a blue tinted small watch battery light that I have.

3 and 4 ill see what the ones i ordered provide.

NWdude -
i got the x300 because its what the shooting range had...more of an impulse purchase that set me off on this new hobbie. I had never seen a bright (real) light before :)

so many more to buy. Nitecore and LumaPower were deferred but still on my short list as I want to look at the much recommended JetBeam before my next purchase.

again. thanks all. Ill post my thoughts, maybe with pictures once received.

Gatsby

Enlightened
I generally think that I can live with three basic lights:

EDC - something that is small enough to be pocket carried daily but flexible enough to fill many roles - I've used and tried more lights in this category than any other for a lot of reasons but, other than being a bit chunky, I have yet to find a light that is superior in this role to my current Novatac 120P (particularly now with a K2 mod it is a screamer and has an ultra low low).

Key ring backup - in case my EDC light is not working for some reason. I've generally favored very small lights - Photon Microlight, but have carried a Liteflux LF2 and like it quite a bit. Haven't found anything smaller that adds more so I haven't replaced it.

High power thrower - When you need to spot something - not necessarily pocketable or EDC for me which basically means a two cell light. This is sort of in flux for me - I'm pretty happy with my Dereelight CL1H with a 3SD Q5 pill no 18650s, but am awaiting my 6PL coming back from a bore job and Mcclickie upgrade and am thinking about a real flamethrower - SST50 or P7 perhaps...

Really all my other lights are somewhat superfluous. Although the EDC may go to the Creemator once I get the firmware upgrade... :)

stingers96

Newly Enlightened
Just got my lights :twothumbsand here are my initial impressions.

1. TI IlluminaTi - nice light, good finish and quality. The chain is a bit long for my taste for a key chain. I don't like the way the lights turns on/off and cycles modes. You twist to turn it on and off and that also cycles the mode. So if last used on high and turned off next turned on in lowest mode (of three). But it does have nice brightness for such a small light.

2. Surefire E2DL -:twothumbs Awesome. Great brightness and useful low mode, I expect to use this light the most of the three (so far) Nice aluminum construction, just feels nice in my hand.

3. Onlight M21 - Disappointing so far, very much so. I cant seem to get the light to change modes other then strobe and what must be low. I have tried countless times to get it to change to one of the other brightnesses, but cannot. Maybe I am doing it wrong. I am turning the light on and twisting (loosen) the head a bit (1/8th turn) and it stayes the same except on the 4th time then it will switch to strobe and the next turn to steady. But the level of the light does not change, I am using 2 new CR123A batteries (I have tried with and without the tube for kicks) Maybe its a bad light? What am I doing wrong?? :confused: Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

Maybe some night shots later.

Last edited: